Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky broadband speed slow

This is a discussion on Sky broadband speed slow within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have had Sky broadband max for about a month now and arent very impressed with their service. I used ...

Vistrix is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky broadband speed slow

I have had Sky broadband max for about a month now and arent very impressed with their service.

I used to have a 3mb line with BT and I was told I could have a max of 16mb on my line although I knew this was farfetched. So I decided to switch (because of the price mostly).

My Sky broadband router syncs with these specs:

down - 1482 kbps
      up - 672 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38
      Line Attenuation down - 57 db up - 17.5 db
      Noise Margin down - 10 db up - 8 db

I can download files at around 130kb/s compared to 280kb/s with BT. Slightly dissapointing...

Is there any tweaks or tips to speed this up? I have tried plugging the router directly into the master test socket for a few days and it syncs to exactly the same speed.

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky broadband speed slow

Quote Originally Posted by Vistrix View Post
      I can download files at around 130kb/s compared to 280kb/s with BT. Slightly dissapointing...
      With a router sync of 1482kbps you should be getting more like 1200kbps downloads. You're not and there could be a number of reasons for this. Starting with the most obvious - are you wireless?

Also, your sync is poor for your attenuation. If it's the same using the test socket (that's hidden inside your master assuming you have an NTE5) then you have a BT line fault. If it improves with the test socket then it is a home wiring/filtering problem. You need to look for changes in the sync and/or noise margin, not just sync as your connection may be capped. More info can be found on the cabling and faceplate help forum.
      Last edited by Saturday; 22-11-08 at 12:10 PM.

Vistrix is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      With a router sync of 1482kbps you should be getting more like 1200kbps downloads. You're not and there could be a number of reasons for this. Starting with the most obvious - are you wireless?

Also, your sync is poor for your attenuation. If it's the same using the test socket (that's hidden inside your master assuming you have an NTE5) then you have a BT line fault. If it improves with the test socket then it is a home wiring/filtering problem. You need to look for changes in the sync and/or noise margin, not just sync as your connection may be capped. More info can be found on the cabling and faceplate help forum.
      The router was plugged directly into the test socket (e.g.inside the faceplate) on the master for about a week, no difference. Even the noise margins stayed identical.

I have 2 PCs plugged in, one is wireless and the other is wired via ethernet cable. Both have exactly the same download speed via speedtest.net (100-130kb/s).

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

As Saturday said, if there is no improvement in the Test socket, you have a line fault. It does appear you are lightly capped, probably due to the line fault, phone Sky and ask them to lift the cap, if there is one.

How is your voice line for noise?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.