Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is it possible that I could sync at a faster speed?

This is a discussion on Is it possible that I could sync at a faster speed? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm always looking to get faster speeds with my broadband, and whilst I'm very happy that I have synced at ...

burnley_lad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Burnley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Is it possible that I could sync at a faster speed?

I'm always looking to get faster speeds with my broadband, and whilst I'm very happy that I have synced at 13330kbps at the weekend, I'm wondering if I can possibly sync at a higher speed, or is 13330kbps likely to be the fastest I can achieve?

2. Advertisement
      psu300 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ealow
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Re: Is it possible that I could sync at a faster speed?

If you recall from your previous post, you were concerned about your low noise margin.If your noise margin was to drop any further then i would think you would get disconnections,
      Personally i think that as you getting 13330kbps, it is about the best speed as you can get on your line.
      A lot of people on this forum would like to have your speed, but their line will not support it.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by burnley_lad View Post
      I'm always looking to get faster speeds with my broadband, and whilst I'm very happy that I have synced at 13330kbps at the weekend, I'm wondering if I can possibly sync at a higher speed, or is 13330kbps likely to be the fastest I can achieve?
      I know this does not answer your question directly but consider this. I have a line with 20dB attenuation and sync at the full wack, my neighbour has an attenuation of 50dB and after a re-wire, syncs at 5800meg (it's because we live on the boundary of two exchanges, I have one and my neighbour the other) No amount of jumping up and down or yelling at an ISP is going to change this.

What I am trying to say is I known you are within a couple of meg of full speed, but your speed is very good, and a big increase from the 8meg you had before.
      You can try replacing the cable between the router and filter, or try a BT filter faceplate instead of the ADSL Nation one, and it may gain you some speed, but not much and, as has been said, you would prob drop sync at night and loose any advantage.

But give it a go if you want to, just make one change at a time and give it a few days to see how it reacts.

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

can you reduce any internal wires
      my sync was about 11000 but after moving mastersocket from hall way (front of house) to dinning room (rear of house), where bt cable connects to house removing 30 meteres of un-needed cable i now get 16,300 sync
      my pc also sits in dinningroom area so i can connect router with lan and not wirelesss which drops sync

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
      can you reduce any internal wires
      my sync was about 11000 but after moving mastersocket from hall way (front of house) to dinning room (rear of house), where bt cable connects to house removing 30 meteres of un-needed cable i now get 16,300 sync
      my pc also sits in dinningroom area so i can connect router with lan and not wirelesss which drops sync
      Thanks for your reply. I can't reduce any internal wires. The master socket is on the windowsill in the front room, and the router is next to it - I connect to my laptop wirelessly.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Is the issue that you want to achieve a higher router sync or that you want to improve your speedtest results (throughput)?

Your router is syncing at not far off the maximum that Sky offers (13.3meg v 16meg). Using a decent speedtest server such as Skyusers a sync of 13300kbps should give a result around 10750kbps. If you're getting that then in my opinion, chasing a few more k is pointless.

However, if you're not getting comfortably over 10meg then you need to consider:
      • is it a poor wireless signal causing the slow speed?
      • is your low noise margin giving data errors and causing high retransmissions?
      • do your TCP/IP settings need optimising?
      • is something else using your bandwidth?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Is the issue that you want to achieve a higher router sync or that you want to improve your speedtest results (throughput)?

Your router is syncing at not far off the maximum that Sky offers (13.3meg v 16meg). Using a decent speedtest server such as Skyusers a sync of 13300kbps should give a result around 10750kbps. If you're getting that then in my opinion, chasing a few more k is pointless.

However, if you're not getting comfortably over 10meg then you need to consider:
      • is it a poor wireless signal causing the slow speed?
      • is your low noise margin giving data errors and causing high retransmissions?
      • do your TCP/IP settings need optimising?
      • is something else using your bandwidth?
      Thanks for your reply. From reading the forum I can see that 13300kbps connection speed is very good compared to most, but I just wondered why I wasn't getting nearer to 16000kbps?

Using the speedtest on this site I am getting around 10750kbps download speeds.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Jolly good. Like my neighbour who moans that I get 16 meg and they can only get 5 meg, the solution to getting the extra 2+ meg sync speed, is to move closer to the exchange!! or pay Openreach vast sums of money to re-route your line.
      I'm not suggesting that either of those are a practicial proposition, unless your numbers come up on the lottery, it which case anything in the BB world would be yours to buy