Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shockingly slow :-(

This is a discussion on Shockingly slow :-( within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been with sky broadband since april and Christ it is slow. hopelessly slow. have spoken to the customer ...

neilopafc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Shockingly slow :-(

I have been with sky broadband since april and Christ it is slow. hopelessly slow. have spoken to the customer service more times than i care to remember who say its my distance from the exchange but my next door neighbour also with sky is getting 8MEG whilst im getting less than 512. Am i tied into sky broadband for 12months? what im thinking of doing is ditching my BT line and moving my telephone number across to virgin and having there 20meg internet service along with their telephone service.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Shockingly slow :-(

Have you read the Cable and faceplate section on how to improve your connection? Maybe you should post in the Broadband Help section giving your router stats, taken from your normal position and from the Test socket. You will then get some advice. I have no doubt that your speed can be improved if a near neighbour on the same exchange gets a much higher speed.
      Your contract with Sky is for 12 months.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

blondejon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Exeter Castle Street
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

unfortunately, just because your neighbour is getting these speeds it doesnt mean you will be able to as a whole host of factors can come into play. You may even be routed a different way to the exchange adding length to the line. Showing your stats would give a pretty good indication of this

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Thanks

Look at linkies below about posting stats, try in the tes/master socket also.

neilopafc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi guys, thanks for your replies, i should of noted, i own an IT company and resell broadband through a tiscali company, and i was going to do it through my own supplier but i was on the phone to sky ordering my sky and thought ahhh il go for it. So iv gone through all the different things even had my guys who i deal with pop dial in and take a looksie. and it would seem the problem would be down to my line, but sky dont see any problem and neither do BT and warn of a huge bill if they come out and no fault found. Plus with Virgin being taken up to 50 meg with in the next 9-12 months its very tempting. Could knock my sky bb package down to the base package and then cancel it when the time comes.

orbiter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Router: Billion 8800AXL R2
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neilopafc View Post
      Hi guys, thanks for your replies, i should of noted, i own an IT company and resell broadband through a tiscali company, and i was going to do it through my own supplier but i was on the phone to sky ordering my sky and thought ahhh il go for it. So iv gone through all the different things even had my guys who i deal with pop dial in and take a looksie. and it would seem the problem would be down to my line, but sky dont see any problem and neither do BT and warn of a huge bill if they come out and no fault found. Plus with Virgin being taken up to 50 meg with in the next 9-12 months its very tempting. Could knock my sky bb package down to the base package and then cancel it when the time comes.
      There should only be a bill from BT (120 ish) If the engineer comes into your home and discovers a problem inside the premises or with equipment therein. Do you have a noisy line, loads of things connected to the BT line e.g Fax, answering machines etc?

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

As above if you have a test socket try that first, if it still does not work properly there then you will not be billed by BT as the issue will be their side of the line. You only get billed if its your side of the socket at fault.
      Oh and VM.... not exactly a fault free experience for many either, might want to put the words ntl hell nthellworld etc into google.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

you've not even put any stats up so we can't comment at all as to what might be the issue...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Depending on whether you want help, or just told that you are tied to Sky for 12 months, post your stats from the Test socket. If you are getting less than 512kbps then I think Sky would consider dropping you to the Base product. If you get above this, they will hold you to the contract you accepted.

As an after thought I have a friend who sells cars for a living and did not know how to check the oil on his own car.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Thanks

Guess you do not want any help. STATS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast