Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Well at least I am not the only one having speed issues!

This is a discussion on Well at least I am not the only one having speed issues! within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been on the phone to sky for about 5 occasions trying to get this sorted or at least escalated ...

sbohan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Manchester Central
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Well at least I am not the only one having speed issues!

I've been on the phone to sky for about 5 occasions trying to get this sorted or at least escalated past Level 1 but no-one seems to want to listen to me!

I did get through to a very useful guy one day who agreed with me (hence why he was deemed useful ) and he said he would get BT to uncap my line and let it sync itself.

Now I'm not up to scratch with the networking side of things as I would like to be but I do think I have a valid case. I saw a tutorial on here yesterday about trying the test socket which I have done in the past to try and sort the problem, I had no luck at all. In fact the Sync speed was EXACTLY the same without the faceplate.

I have in the past been lucky enough to receive the full 16Mb down speed that Sky advertises at an old address. However after moving into my new apartment I am unable to get over a quarter of this speed when theoretically I should be getting close to full.

Here are my line stats before the guy at sky said he would remove the cap:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4224 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33 db 8.5 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 12 db

Since the Cap they have stayed pretty much static but the down sync is always 4096 kbps no matter what time I force a re-connect.

I really am annoyed at this and would like to get as close to the speed I have paid for as possible, any tips from you guys would go much appreciated and I would try to help out in the community as much as possible with other issues I know about.

Here is what I found when I took the faceplate to pieces, is this right to have only the two wires in use? I have about 5 extensions running from those two wires and would have though something more substantial would be required:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/117230/cable.jpg

I've read about this CTS group and was wondering if it was possible to contact them directly as I am fed up of playing around with micro filters on tier 1!!

Cheers in advance, Shaun

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Well at least I am not the only one having speed issues!

You won't get to the CST group without an open ticket or going through tier 1. When you were in the test socket did you lose the dial tone on all other extensions? Do you suffer any noise or interference on the telephone line as (if all is working well, filtered properly and no issues at exchange) you should be seeing roughly 13Mb I would think on that line if things were working perfectly.

Thanks

No Dial tones on any lines, the extensions were through the faceplate. No noise on the lines through the phone as far as I can tell through the broken BT phone I am using. I still have an open ticket I think as I never gave permission for it to be closed, the last contact I had with them was for them to say they had done all they could to increase my speed and were sorry if it wasn't good enough.

Is there any set way to ring T1 to get this bumped up or such?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You say your connection speed did not change in the Test socket, well if you are capped that is to be expected. What you want to see is a rise in the noise margin. Take your stats from your normal position and then from the Test socket and post both here for comparison. Just copy and paste them, don't use uploaded images.

If that is the main wire into your box then that is quite normal. A single phone only requires 2 wires back to the exchange.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You say your connection speed did not change in the Test socket, well if you are capped that is to be expected. What you want to see is a rise in the noise margin. Take your stats from your normal position and then from the Test socket and post both here for comparison. Just copy and paste them, don't use uploaded images.

If that is the main wire into your box then that is quite normal. A single phone only requires 2 wires back to the exchange.
      Will do that when I get home, be about 50 minutes.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sbohan View Post
      I still have an open ticket I think as I never gave permission for it to be closed, the last contact I had with them was for them to say they had done all they could to increase my speed and were sorry if it wasn't good enough.
      You don't have to give permission for the ticket to be closed, that is the call of the CST agent at the time.
      Is there any set way to ring T1 to get this bumped up or such?
      If the ticket is open T1 can put you back to CST again, if it's closed you have to be prepared to troubleshoot for slow speed again. At this point the easiest thing to do is put a new filter onto your test socket, plug the router and phone into that, call T1. If you call tier 1 and are already in the test socket and have changed the filter you will go through the troubleshoot very quickly and will go back to CST within 7 or 8 mins of starting the call. Obviously if CST are busy and queued up you will have to wait in the queue for them.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You don't have to give permission for the ticket to be closed, that is the call of the CST agent at the time
      That is what annoys a lot of Sky users. Some other ISPs, such as Plusnet, do not close tickets, that can only be done by the user when they are satisfied the fault has been fixed. If Sky followed this policy, there would be far fewer complaints.

I know this policy is out of the control of the Sky agents and techs, it needs intervention from higher up the food chain.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Ok Here are the results taken just now:

Plugged directly into the test socket:

Connection Speed 4096 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31 db 8 db
      Noise Margin 22 db 14 db

Plugged directly into the faceplate:
      Line Attenuation 32 db 8.5 db
      Noise Margin 17 db 10 db

Plugged into the extension nearest my machine:
      Noise Margin 20 db 9 db

Obviously Margin is adjusting with time, but after leaving them on for all 5 minutes I took the median number for the Margin, Can someone please help .

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

You say "since moving into my new apartment" do you know if others are having problems with their broadband.

Thanks

Not sure, There are only 20 or so apartments here so I don't think it is a contention issue. It's now 7pm which I would consider to be about peak time, and here are the stats:

Noise Margin 21 db 9 db

I know that there is a guy on the floor above me who gets sync speeds around 6Mb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast