Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Mid range broadband, poor wireless signal

This is a discussion on Mid range broadband, poor wireless signal within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have had Sky TV for years, but in Feb this year swapped my broadband provider from Virgin to ...

town_terrier is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01484364
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Mid range broadband, poor wireless signal

Hi, I have had Sky TV for years, but in Feb this year swapped my broadband provider from Virgin to Sky. Originally had the Max package, but my download speeds were always in the region of 5/6 meg, also my laptop struggles to connect to my router when I take it upstairs, always results in it disconnecting.
      My router is plugged into BT test socket in kitchen along with phone line and filter. I dont have my sky box connected to phone line, always seemed to cause problems.
      Here are the stats:
      Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 133:41:26

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 57155 54239 0 135 1290 13:42:23
      LAN 100M/Full 76739 61615 0 124 20 133:41:22
      WLAN 11M/54M 24370 25595 0 4406 425 01:47:36
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4736 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 10 db 14 db

Not sure if that makes sense!?

I think my router is the Sagem version, not Netgear.

I live 2Km away from the exchange. What I cant understand, is the router not being able to "see" my laptop when upstairs, when my previous router with Virgin never had any problems??! Very frustrating..
      Last edited by town_terrier; 10-09-08 at 06:40 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Mid range broadband, poor wireless signal

Your connection speed for your attenuation is not bad. You could possible squeeze another few kbs out of it but it may effect the stability.

The wireless signal seems to be your main problem and there is a few things you can do about it. First try changing the channel in the router and while there set the Mode to 'g' only. I always advise starting at #13 and working down. Next try changing the physical position of your router by swivelling it around a bit at a time. Stand it on end if it is flat and vice-versa. Put a bit of aluminium cooking foil underneath it to try to focus the signal. Lastly, if it is lying flat, try turning it upside down. I am not sure if yours is one, but some routers have the aerial in the bottom, which is not the best place if you want a signal above it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I have tried different channels, and 6 or 7 seem to be the best, some of the other channels (12, 13) dont even "see" the router when I'm in front of it! Had to plug in the ethernet cable to access the router!

Will try changing the b and g settings, I know its set to both. Have moved the router around slightly also, doesn't seem to make much difference though.

Thanks again for the tips, all Sky seemed to tell me was that my house had too many wires, walls, etc..!!

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Wireless is not the greatest way to connect and can be upset by even the smallest things, a faulty power supply to a light or charger could easily quash a signal so it is hard for Sky to give an accurate responce to your problems as there are so many different things that could be causing it.

Have you thought of using homeplugs, they are a great way to connect and don't suffer from as menay problems as wireless. You can even get one that has an aerial on to extend the range of your current wireless router for use with a laptop etc.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your response. Where can I get a homeplug from? I've heard of them, but no idea as to how they work, or benefits they provide?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

HERE is a brief description and some prices. It is more stable and faster than most wireless connections.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks vey much, hopefully this will solve my problems! Thanks again..