Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Help please for a total Noob

This is a discussion on Help please for a total Noob within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by PaulSky What firewall is it? You may think it hasn't changed but even the slightest corruption or ...

Huddo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Help please for a total Noob

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      What firewall is it? You may think it hasn't changed but even the slightest corruption or change in a rules table can cause a major headache.

PaulSky, it's the firewall with the Norton package, it says Advanced Firewall.......Secure. I'll try swithching it off to see if it helps.

HUDDO

2. Advertisement
      djbobeb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arrowebrook
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Your router is synched at 8096kbps which is not slow, have you tried rebooting the router?
      Hi HUDDO, have you tried rebooting the router as PaulSky suggests as you mention this has been happening for the past couple of days and on the stats post you did from your router, it looks like this has been rebooted (maybe by sky?) recently as the uptime then was 36 hours approx which may tie in with when the speed issue began?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djbobeb View Post
      Hi HUDDO, have you tried rebooting the router as PaulSky suggests as you mention this has been happening for the past couple of days and on the stats post you did from your router, it looks like this has been rebooted (maybe by sky?) recently as the uptime then was 36 hours approx which may tie in with when the speed issue began?

Not rebooted as I don't know how to, can you explain to me how I go about re-booting the router, thanks

Just tried switching firewall off, still the same slow speed.

HUDDO

HUDDO

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi HUDDO

you can just swicth the router off at it's power (also at the wall) and then back on again, It should then connect after a few minutes back onto the internet.

Other way to do it is from when logged into the router, select maintenance, then diagnostics and then select reboot the router at the bottom

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djbobeb View Post
      Hi HUDDO

you can just swicth the router off at it's power (also at the wall) and then back on again, It should then connect after a few minutes back onto the internet.

Other way to do it is from when logged into the router, select maintenance, then diagnostics and then select reboot the router at the bottom

Ok tried that and still the same.

The router gets switched off at the end of each day anyway. Now prior to getting the slow speeds if I switched the router on in the evenings then I would get a slightly slower speed of around 4-5 Mb and If I were to turn the router on in the morning I would get between 5-6 Mb speed. I have over the last 2 days tried switching the router on at different times of the day (this morning about 0800hrs) ans it's still stuck on the slower speed all day !!!!

Could my cable going from the router to the filter be faulty or is it more likely to be something very technical that I will have to contact BT or Sky about ?

The cable going into the filter is slightly bent where the housing goes into the filter. I have tried wiggling (very technical) this but doesn't make any difference. You can see into the casing and it doesn't look like anything is loose or has become disconnected.

Thanks again for your speedy replies.

HUDDO

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Try disabling your firewall and see if that changes anything, the router itself is synched to the line correctly so it's either throughput from router to pc, faulty ethernet cable or PC issue.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

has anyone asked if these are wireless connection? if not, try it wired...

also, try a different speed test site as speedtest.net is unreliable...what transfer rate do you get downloading the large file HERE?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Try disabling your firewall and see if that changes anything, the router itself is synched to the line correctly so it's either throughput from router to pc, faulty ethernet cable or PC issue.

I have tried disabling the firewall, made no difference.

When I use the laptop that uses wireless connection I am getting the same slow speed, so does this rule out the main PC itself ?

The only other thing to try I suppose is a different cable from my router to the filter in the Bt socket. That's going to cost me money and if it doesn't work then it will be a waste.

PaulSky what do you sugest, buying a new cable ?

HUDDO

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      has anyone asked if these are wireless connection? if not, try it wired...

also, try a different speed test site as speedtest.net is unreliable...what transfer rate do you get downloading the large file HERE?

Thanks but it is obvious to me the ispeed is slow compared to normal. it has always been super quick and never had a problem over the 3-4 months I've had it. Now everything is very slow compared to normal.

That file is as follows

23 mins to download and speed was on average 10kb/sec which is very slow. Usually a file that size would download alot quicker than that.

The laptop is wireless, the PS3 is wired and the PC is wired through the router.

I've not switched the PS3 on since Monday afternoon, the internet was fine on Monday night it slowed down on Tuesday some time (didn't switch the router on until about 2000hrs).

HUDDO

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'd check to see what is using the network on both your laptop and PC, try using the following TCPView which is a SysInternals tool from Microsoft which is FREE. Awesome for seeing what is using the network and how many connections are being made (sorry if this is too technical but it is good for diagnostics regarding the TCP stack, etc:

TCPView for Windows

The issue is that your router is saying you have got a fast connection, and yet perfomance us very slow when you try and do downloading, etc, so sounds like something is eating the bandwitdh somewhere possibly.

Another suggestion may be to test the internet with the PC first whilst the laptop is off, and then vice versa (laptop on the internet with the PC off) and see if it performs differently, therefore identifying possibly one of the devices casuign the performance degrade?
      Last edited by djbobeb; 31-07-08 at 11:24 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast