Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

480 metres from the local exchange, Max package - but can't get more than 3Mbps!!

This is a discussion on 480 metres from the local exchange, Max package - but can't get more than 3Mbps!! within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I wonder if anyone can offer any help and advice, as I'm at the end of my tether ...

erilaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

480 metres from the local exchange, Max package - but can't get more than 3Mbps!!

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can offer any help and advice, as I'm at the end of my tether here

I signed up to the Sky Max broadband package. I wasn't expecting the full-on 16Mbps, but being so close to the exchange I did want at least 10Mbps. I was very, very specific with the people at Sky when discussing this as moving to Sky was a pretty big and costly exercise, as I was already with Virgin Media so this involved cancelling with them and paying the 125 fee to BT to get a line in that Sky could then take over. Only after I was assured that 10Mbps was no problem did I go ahead and sign up.

Since then I never even reached 6Mbps. I've made numerous calls and sent tickets and letters but am just not getting anywhere. Last week I was told some changes had been made and I should be going faster, but I went even slower to 3Mbps. I called up again and reported it and then it dropped to 1.5Mbps!

The last I have got to was getting my speed back up to 3Mbps and being told this was the most I can ever expect from Sky, no matter what I was sold and advised originally, no matter that I had 5Mbps the week before and no matter that I'm under half a km from the exchange.

I've tried to be really patient and not badger Sky, but this has been going on since January and I've lost the amount of times I've explained to the first line that I have rebooted my PC, the correct lights are on the router, I've checked netstat results etc.

I would say that there must be a misconfiguration or cap applied at the exchange or a fault with the socket and/or cabling going into my house, but Sky just won't seem to consider this an option and I get the impression they're clutching at straws by saying it is the set-up on my PC's.

All I want is a decent speed or at the very least Sky to hold up their hands and admit they've made a mistake and I cannot get this, so at least I can move forwards and see about going back to Virgin. It would seem the latter may have happened last night if the guy said 3Mbps is the best Sky can provide, but too many things just didn't add-up with this.

Has anyone had any similar problems, and if so what did you or Sky do to get around them? Do you know of any other people in Sky I can raise my issues with to get something happening with them?
      Last edited by erilaz; 27-05-08 at 12:21 PM. Reason: typos!

2. Advertisement
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: 480 metres from the local exchange, Max package - but can't get more than 3Mbps!

Just for the record, these are the tests I do every time before I telephone:

• Checked the lights on the router
      • Changed the microfilter three times
      • Rebooted the router
      • Tried wired and wireless connections
      • Used a different network cable
      • Tried different PC’s (desktop and two laptops)
      • Removed any other equipment connected so only the one PC is online
      • Cleared out the cache and any temporary Internet files
      • Checked the telephone dial-tone
      • Shut down any non-essential network applications
      • Run a netstat to ensure there are no extra connections
      • Only used the master socket
      • Remove the faceplate of the socket and use the test socket and repeated all of the above
      • Tried all of the above at different times of the day

I still get asked to do them again when I phone though, even if I say I've just done them - and if I don't I won't be passed through to Customer Solutions

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: 480 metres from the local exchange, Max package - but can't get more than 3Mbps!

Dunno if this helps:

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

are those stats from your test socket? attenuation would lead to about 16Mbps but the upload speed is a bit dodgy...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Nope, that's the stats from my normal connection not the test socket: Router and telephone in the master socket, and my desktop upstairs on wifi that I was on at the time

Devil_Spawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

try a different filter, remove the phone too. from those stats it looks like your line is very noisy and badly done in some way

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I tried that one too. Unplugged the 'phone so it was just the router in, and tried all three microfilters - still get the same though.

This is why I'm thinking it might be the wiring outside my house.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

post stats from the test socket - it's the SNR that we're interested in here...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Can't offer much help as you seem to have tried most things.
      When I first joined BT connected me to a dead port on the DSLAM, it took three months to sort it out, hope you do better.
      I get these stats for my mid package.

Rx-Noise= 9.1db, Rx-Attn= 45.5db, Rx-Sync= 8191kbps
      Tx-Noise= 23db, TX-Attn= 27db, Tx-Sync= 397kbps

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'll get an output from the test socket this evening when I'm back home. Cheers guys

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast