Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

480 metres from the local exchange, Max package - but can't get more than 3Mbps!!

This is a discussion on 480 metres from the local exchange, Max package - but can't get more than 3Mbps!! within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; OK peeps, here's the same stats with the faceplate of the socket of and just the microfilter and modem plugged ...

erilaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: 480 metres from the local exchange, Max package - but can't get more than 3Mbps!

OK peeps, here's the same stats with the faceplate of the socket of and just the microfilter and modem plugged in (no telephone)

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: 480 metres from the local exchange, Max package - but can't get more than 3Mbps!

you've got a line issue...best get onto Sky and hope you get to CST who'll hopefully get it off the BT for you...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

slinky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRCHE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

There is a little tool to optimise connections, you could give that a go, off the top of my head its called TCPoptimiser should be a link on here somewhere. Wont fix a noisy line though.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

it's irrelevant in this case - the upstream is low so would indicate an issue with the line...once resolved, hopefully a much greater speed could be achieved...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had already tried tcpoptimiser, but like was mentioned above, it didn't do any good.

Guess I'll be calling Sky again today then

Thanks for the advice

ricopico is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wolverton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: TL-WR1043ND (Open-WRT)
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I had a line issue at my house, which was causing a very poor connection to the internet, and i feel your fustration becuase I spoken to sky, raised numerous tickets which were closed without action etc etc.
      I managaed to resolve my problem by complaining directly to BT, i suggested that there was noises on the line when Im using the phone, and said that sometimes I could hear other peoples voices on the line.

The BT guy came out and plugged in a loudspeaker to the phoneline, he could not hear any of these noises, but said he would change the line connection at the green box. Which he did, and my connection went from 192kb downspeed to 4500kb, (considering im like 4.5km from exchange, im very happy).

During this whole process with BT i didnt mention the internet connection once, just said that I wasnt happy with the line itself as it makes funny noises.

I hope this helps you

duckster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: hunslet
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

looks like i have same probs here .im a mear 749 meters from the xchange and sky have capped me off at 4meg saying thats the best i can have and theve sync me at that speed.thats just poor as before with ukonline i had a rock steady 8meg line never a problem with it never went off or ever dropped.the even offered me a line at 17.5 meg ,but i wnated to changed to sky for price ie:10 a month compared to 29.99 a month was a big saving.and with them both using the same provider easynet i was thinking great ill get a good speed on sky max,but i dont and ive complained to sky sort it or im off elsewhere.

btw my router stats .

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4090 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40.5 db 23.1 db
      Noise Margin 9.5 db 10.0 db
      Last edited by duckster; 29-06-08 at 08:27 PM.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

How are you measuring your distance from the exchange as the attenuation is saying otherwise.

duckster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: hunslet
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      How are you measuring your distance from the exchange as the attenuation is saying otherwise.

from samknows
      thats wat it tells me the distance is,which i believe is about right .
      i complained to sky last night now check my router stats as of tday .

Connection Speed 6144 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36.0 db 23.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 11.0 db

surely i can have a higher speed than this as before last week it was at 7914 kbps.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I managed to resolve my problem by complaining directly to BT, i suggested that there was noises on the line when Im using the phone, and said that sometimes I could hear other peoples voices on the line.
      I did actually have this problem as well. A few times I picked my phone up and there was no ring tone at all, but I could hear other people talking. Called my landline on my mobile and no connection.

I called Sky straight away (as they took over my line rental) and they admitted there was some fault and would look into it.

It fixed itself about 15 minutes later so called back and they said they would still check it and update their notes.

Got a call later saying they had run a test and everything was showing ok. I said it probably would be as it was an intermittent problem and I had called earlier to say it was working again, but as I've got ongoing issues with my broadband then this may be related.

Sky were having none of it though - saying it was a temporary fault with the exchange or I must have a dodgy cordless 'phone.

i have same probs here .im a mear 749 meters from the xchange and sky have capped me off at 4meg saying thats the best i can have and theve sync me at that speed
      Well since my original posting I wrote a big long letter and sent it to Sky. All I want to know is can they provide me the 10Mbps+ their Sales team assured me I can get. If so, can they fix/enable it and if not then just admit it so I can get refund and go back to my Virgin cable modem.

I got a call about two weeks later saying there was DLM on the line and they could do nothing until then so leave it until the end of June.

I've since tried and my connection is now under 1Mbps

I really am at a loss of what to do. This has gone on for over six months now and the most I am getting is being told to do the same tests over and over and over, or wait for this update, or try again in a few days. The term 'fob off' springs to mind...

I'm no engineer but I'm certain this is an issue with my line (and possibly capping) but Sky just will not send an engineer out.

If anyone has got any other ideas then I'll try anything at this stage

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast