Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Recently Switched from Virgin Media

This is a discussion on Recently Switched from Virgin Media within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, I have recently switched from virgin media to sky after noticing that virgin media is over priced and I ...

Plxply is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Northolt
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Recently Switched from Virgin Media

Hello,

I have recently switched from virgin media to sky after noticing that virgin media is over priced and I get alot more with sky and they provide it to me cheaper.

I have ordered the "Max" broadband package although I seem to only be achieving 2188 kb/s down and 634 kb/s up, this is considerably lower then others that I have seen on this site.

I am currently on a wired connection, with my master socket downstairs and my router being upstairs, with a 20 meter ethernet cable running to this computer in the other room.

As I have moved from Virgin Media I unfortunatly do not understand most terms related to ADSL so I have decided just to post the whole table that is avaliable when you click "Show Statistics" on the router page:

Connection Speed 2464 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 61.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 8.1 db 14.0 db

Thanks for your help in advance,

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Recently Switched from Virgin Media

Line Attenuation 61.0 db 31.5 db
      Shows me, that you are quite a distance from the exchange, and unfortunately, you ain't going to squeeze much more out of your speed.

Connection Speed 2464 kbps 768 kbps
      Means you are on about 2.4 meg and probably overpaying by being on Max, unless you need the higher upload speeds.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

Thanks for your help, Unfortunatly I am locked into Sky Max since I have only just taken the contract out and must remain on it for a year.

Although I do download alot of media which may spill over the lower packages 40GB limit. But I wish I could get the best speeds possible

It seems I can either be ripped off by Virgin Media or get slower speeds with Sky.

Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

It was a shame that you did not come across this site before you joined Sky. We could have advised you on your best deal

IanMax is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peartree
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi plxply,

Try looking at the cabling and faceplate help thread ( its in my sig at bottom ) as this may help you a little.

You need as little cable as possible so plugging the router directly into the phone master socket downstairs and try wireless as a test or just see what speed you get with the router plugged into the master socket. Also make sure your phone socket has 2 wires only connected as there is sometimes an orange wire which is not needed and could increase your speed a little.

Hope it helps but i would make absolutely sure your speed is 2464 when you plug directly into the master socket with nothing else plugged into the line at all ( even your sky box ) as a test.

Regards

Ian
      Bt phone socket and wiring help > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/

Router stats and help on understanding them > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/router-stats/

Thanks

Thanks for all of the help, although it seems that I cannot get any faster than I currently getting. I only see a small increase in speed which is quite insignificant and will be a waste of the cost of a long ethernet cable.

It seems the only two options for faster internet now is to switch to Virgin when my contract ends or move closer to my exchange