Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Online gaming - improving pings

This is a discussion on Online gaming - improving pings within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; This a huge thank-you to all the kind folk on the forum who have posted about this topic - lags ...

Duffbeer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Perivale
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Online gaming - improving pings

This a huge thank-you to all the kind folk on the forum who have posted about this topic - lags in online games due to high pings.

This post is to help anyone else with the same issue to get this change made by Sky for them. It may not work for everyone, my line has good attenuation, 32db downstream and a 8096 downstream synch speed on the Mid product.

I use a filtered master socket faceplate from ASDLNation as my internal house wiring is rubbish so the broadband comes direct from there with a good signal.

My pings as tested on speedtest.net dropped from 120ms before the change to 70ms and the timings to jolt.com from 49ms to 27ms following the change to my max delay settings. Getting the Max Delay reset was all much more straightforward than I feared, mostly thanks all to the info on these forums!

I called Sky broadband support (at 2pm on a Friday) on 0844 2410515 (slightly cheaper than the 0870 number) and said I had a slow connection problem with high pings. The rep asked to put me on hold while he talked to a colleague, but thanks to a wonderful post from Indefatigable here's the link to the thread, I was able to tell him that there is an option in the Sky systems (chordiant for the staff members), under 'Up Front Checks' for High Ping times. He had a look and found it and just as Indefatigable said, it creates a CST ticket to have the max delays setting reduced.

I was put on hold for CST and a minute later talked to a CST rep who made the change to reduce my max delay setting to 8. I didn't see a difference there and then but after rebooting the router, the pings dropped and the synch and download speeds stayed as good as they were before the change.

So full marks to Sky and thanks to all the folks here for sharing the information so that I was able to ask them the right questions and get them to the right bit of the system so easily.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Online gaming - improving pings

so long as a ticket is made under 'slow connection' and the notes are accurate it shouldn't matter if the ticket is created with the right open reason - so long as CST actually read the ticket!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket