Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Still at same speeds :(

This is a discussion on Still at same speeds :( within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So here i am again, still stuck at 9.4 meg sync on my previously 13-14 meg line (with other providers). ...

ballz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Heath Hayes
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Still at same speeds :(

So here i am again, still stuck at 9.4 meg sync on my previously 13-14 meg line (with other providers). Just out of interest i pumped my line stats into the checker and got this back "ADSL2+ Speed Test
      We estimate your line is capable of between 14mb to 16mb broadband on an ADSL2+ service."

This is what i already know, i had a solid 13.6 - 14.1 mbps line from Bulldog.

Even when i phone sky they are puzzled as to why i cannot get the speeds their system says i should get. When i speak to the tech support they say my line should do 13 meg and they dont know why it doesnt.

Here are my current line stats, may i add that i am using the new sky router, the dg934 one.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 9415 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 28 db 7.5 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 18 db

I know pretty much how the system works and used to tweak my old speedtouch router's snr to get over 14 meg most of the time. The line was always solid, and this was with a 1023kbps upload path too.

Since changing to sky i have noticed that my attenuation hasnt really changed from what it was on bulldog, but the snr has dropped drastically. But even stranger is the fact that my previous low snr on my upstream (7db @ 1023kbps) is now 18db @ 768kbps.

Taking what i have heard off a supervisor at bulldog last year 1mbps equals roughly 3.5db of snr. So from that i am able to get a pretty big upstream path looking at my current snr.

Anyone have any ideas why my downstream has become so unhealthy and my upstream has gotten better?
      I really cannot understand why i have the same attenuation but lower snr.

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Still at same speeds :(

Try connecting directly to the test socket and see what results that gives. With your att you should be able to get 16mb line conditions permitting.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am in the master socket, well i was, then i met a nice bt man and he gave me a bt adsl faceplate, i fitted that and had exactly the same stats as using a filter and the test socket. No other extensions are in use and i have also unplugged my sky boxes/phones from the line.

Thanks

Test socket - not master. ( behind master when you remove the front plate )
      When you say no extensions, do you mean you have no other telephone outlets wired to other rooms in the house or do you mean you are not using an extension lead to connect the router ?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I actually meant test socket, the faceplate was off, i have only recently fitted the adsl faceplate and like i said earlier, i have exactly the same stats either using a filter + test socket as i do using this new adsl faceplate. And no there are no other phone outlets in the house, only the main one.

Thanks

Ok, and you are not using an extension from the test socket to get to the router ?

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

if was to have read your first post and not read the rest i would have put your problem down to internal wiring, but as you have stated that you only use the test socket, that would rule that out.
      the next thing to check would be the filter, do you have others you could try ? (sky supply 3), do they all give the same stats from the test socket ?

if so, my next thought would be an external wiring problem, have you tried a quiet line test and do you hear any crackles/hiss/pops ?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok guys heres an update. I decided to phone sky to see if i could speak to someone who understood my problem, after doing various netsta's and making sure i was using the "Yellow" cable i was passed through to a half descent techie. He came back and said 9.5 meg was a good enough line and there was nothing they could do. I complained further and demanded a supervisor. I got a supervisor on the phone, explained i knew what i was on about and told him the problem, he said he was gonna get a guy onto my problem straight away. Finally i get a guy named Johnny in tech support, he instantly see's my line isnt performing as it should and checks other lines in the exchange, we finally agree its a line card problem and he requested my line gets pulled and replugged into another socket. I get home today and find 7363kbps downstream and 64kbps upstream along with a text message to my phone saying problem fixed. Obviously not.

Anyway to cut this short i spent another 50 mins on phone tonight, had to do the netstats etc again. gets through to another guy in support who resets my line, because it hadnt been reset after the replug and now i have these stats

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 14499 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29 db 7.5 db
      Noise Margin 8 db 18 db

so i am finally happy again.

Thanks all for your time and input.

Thanks

Glad you got sorted and are happy. There should be around another meg if you want to try and hunt it down