Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Capped sync speed?

This is a discussion on Capped sync speed? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well I got a reply, which starts with: Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support. I can confirm that ...

Jak-S is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kemptown
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Capped sync speed?

Well I got a reply, which starts with:

Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support.

I can confirm that you are on the MAX package and can also confirm that we are sending a 16Mb speed down your telephone line, however by the time the signal reaches your router the signal has degraded to a 8Mb connection.

This is due to you living over two miles from your telephone exchange and by the time the signal has reached your master socket the signal has considerably weakened.
      My only issue with this is that I don't live more than two miles from the exchange, I live 0.8 miles from the exchange.

It then goes on with a generic reply, suggesting obvious things like unplugging other computers because "If you have more than one computer connected simultaneously to your Sky Broadband Box then your connection may appear slow due to your bandwidth being shared between multiple computers.", well, duh.

Not really sure if this really is genuine response from someone who knows what they're talking about, or just a generic reply they send out. They also suggest I try looking at the stats on the router, which if they'd read my original message, they'd know I had already done.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Your attenuation is 28db which means your line length is ~2km or ~1.25 miles.

28db should easily support 16mb providing your line is relatively quiet. Your noise margin suggests it probably is.

I'm afraid you've been fobbed off.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hmmm, bugger .

Is there any way that I can prove something's wrong? I can't think of anything I could say that would result in anything other than a "no, we're definitely right" response.
      Last edited by Jak-S; 21-04-08 at 05:52 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

With Sky it's all down to who you get to talk to.

My advice would be to call one evening after about 11:00. You'll get through to a T1. Tell him/her that your connection was capped for an earlier problem which is now resolved and ask to be put through to CST (T3). The T1 will take you through low speed troubleshooting so just play along. After a while you'll get put through to CST - there shouldn't be a wait at that time of night. Unless you are very unlucky, the CST agent will uncap you. Be polite but insistent.

Sending emails to Sky tends to get a standard response. Phoning is generally better.

HTH

Sky TV:
      Thanks

RESULT!

After their standard copied and pasted reply, I sent them another email explaining why I thought it should be faster (based on the router stats). I got another standard copied and pasted reply, so I replied again and basically demanded (in a nice way) a full explanation of exactly why it couldn't go any faster, based on my stats. It would seem they couldn't explain it, and so...

Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support.

I have spoken to our Customer Solutions Team on your behalf ref -.

They have made some adjustments to your line, you are now set on ADSL2+

The speed being sent down your line is 12283kbps.

Your line attenuation is 32db and your noise margin is 7db

There is no build up of errors at this point but please monitor your connection for 72 hours, if within this time you find any problems please contact us quoting reference -.
      I don't know what what "problems" they're talking about. Is the new line attenuation and noise margin acceptable?
      Last edited by Jak-S; 23-04-08 at 08:43 AM.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The problems they mean is your line may start building errors again if anything changes between you and the exchange, at this point it may become intermittant or unstable again and will require capping down to stabilise it.
      I live closer to my exchange than you do but doe to peak time usage in my area my line stats drop badly in the evening. I could probably get my cap reduced on my line a bit if I want but I know that peak time there is a possiblity that the line could drop and I cannot have that happening so I will leave it for now. Just because your stats are healthy now it does not mean the line will stay healthy and not change.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Just in case James sees this post, and beats his key board to death, lines do not build up errors, it is the rate that is important, not the total

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jak-S View Post
      Is the new line attenuation and noise margin acceptable?
      Yes, absolutely fine. The move to ADSL2+ has increased your attenuation by 4db and that is as expected. Your noise margin at 7db is just the router default (i.e. it will always sync at the highest speed possible for a noise margin of 6.9db) so that also is exactly as you'd expect.

Your sync is a little low for your attenuation and that suggests you have a little noise on your line. The new firmware tends to handle this much better than the old so I think "problems" are unlikely but of course, possible.

Polite persistence pays off

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well, it's looking pretty reliable right now, I'll see how it does this evening.

Something that is peculiar (and I had this before they fixed it as well). Whenever I use any of these speed test sites they only ever report around 5-6mb, yet when I start up a well seeded torrent, or even just download via HTTP (with one of those programs that opens multiple connections) I can easily get 12mb/sec (easily got 8mb/sec before).

Why's that? Surely these speed testers can support the fast speeds, otherwise they'd be pretty useless.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ah, I figured it out. Using the tester here: Tweaking for speed - dslreports.com I changed my RWIN value to 207320, and the speed tests are now reporting ~11mb, so all's good.

For anyone that knows more about this, the tester said "Choose RWIN between 113880 and 300760", that's a pretty big range, I just went for the middle of it, but is there a better value?

EDIT:
      Hmmm. This is kinda funny. Now I've updated that RWIN value I can happily download files at around 1.2mb. However doing so seems to completely max out the router, and nothing else internet related works, you can't even load Google until the download has finished.
      Last edited by Jak-S; 23-04-08 at 09:16 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast