Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

max sync and appraisal

This is a discussion on max sync and appraisal within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sorry but I can't see anything in that post which would support your hypothesis that the new firmware has "a ...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: max sync and appraisal

Sorry but I can't see anything in that post which would support your hypothesis that the new firmware has "a slighly higher target SNR".

BTW, possibly being a little pedantic, SNR is not interchangeable with noise margin - they're two completely different things. I know that in the V1 detailed stats it is reported as SNR but that's just wrong.

2. Advertisement
      Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

^Sorry not with you on that one

Exchange:
      Thanks

From router stats explained:

"The connection between you and the exchange is made up of two copper wires. Copper is a great transmission medium but it also is susceptible to various electromagnetic interference, generally known as noise. Any length of copper wire will naturally carry noise but the longer it is the more likely it is to be noisy. The challenge for your router is to distinguish between background noise and the ADSL signal. You may have heard the term Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR). This is simply the ratio between the strength of the signal and the background noise on the line expressed in decibels.

The noise margin reported by your router is not a measure of noise on your line. It is a measure of the margin it has given itself when it negotiated with the exchange. This is in effect the difference between the actual SNR and the SNR the router requires to run at a given speed."
      i.e. you mean the target noise margin not the target SNR.

kanwar786 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: High Wycombe
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK saturday i have carried out the stuff you told me to do.

Here it is (please read my previous posts in this topic if i miss some relevant info):

Firstly i would like to confirm that my line has not been capped. I have confirmed this with sky and with other tests. my line was intially capped to 4mb in June 2007 but i had this removed so no worries about that.

Since the firmware update during peak usage times(evenings) my noise margin has been about 6-7 db and the last couple of days between 5-6db on 7616kbps(wont normally sync to my mid max of 8096).

Mr router is now plugged into the test socket and after a couple of reboots i have got it to sync at 7968kbps. It has been running for some time now and is at a noise margin of about 7.7-8db compared to about 5.5 when i was running this evening in the normal socket.

What do you suggest? Considering the fact that i have no extension wires on any of the sockets, i have removed the ring wire or extra wires from both master and upstairs extension socket. What else do you suggest i can do because with a very small adjustment i think i could get that added stability and speed. Thank you.

If i have missed anything or you have a question please dont hesitate to ask.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kanwar786 View Post
      What do you suggest?
      Buy and fit a filtered ADSL faceplate. Your test socket is delivering a better connection and this is what you'd get with a replacement faceplate.

BTW, if your noise margin increases in the test socket but your sync stays the same then this means that you are capped.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks for replying.

I think that the reason for the noise margin increasing in the test socket but the sync staying the same is that i am on the mid package and have technically speaking been capped at 8096kbps(the mid pack speed limit).

OK i will get a filtered faceplate thank you. I know that the faceplate means that you dont need a standard filter for phone and modem as it is built in but what about the extension? This is because i normally plug my router into my extension(2nd) socket upstairs instead of the master which is downstairs. Im presuming the filtered faceplate will only be needed for the master socket right?

Which filtered faceplate would you reccommend and how hard is it to fit one? is it a diy job? thanks again bro.
      Last edited by kanwar786; 16-04-08 at 12:25 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes, in effect all Sky packages are capped e.g. Base at 2meg, Mid at 8 etc. However, if you were capped at 8096kbps you'd expect your router to sync at this rather than just the nm rising. In your earlier posts you said you used to sync at 8096 but now only sync at 7616 (and later 7940 and 7968). If the router is syncing at any figure but reboots with an immediate noise margin higher than 6.9db then that would normally mean that that figure is the capped figure - not foolproof though as line issues can, very rarely distort this.

Running an ADSL connection off an extension should be avoided. It is possible to run a dedicated ADSL extension off a filtered faceplate but it needs to be a single dedicated wire with no other extensions attached. You need to work out whether that's possible in your home environment. Yes, the faceplate fits to the master.

If you do decide to fit a faceplate then the two main suppliers are ADSLnation and Clarity. Cost will be ~15 and it is a simple 10 minute DIY job.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

For now im running my royter through my downstairs master socket synced at 8096kbps to see how that goes and i'll take it from there.

btw by extension you did understand that i mean the 'second socket' upstairs and not an extension wire which some people use right?

Also what i meant by previously getting 8096kbps sync was that with the old firmware generally i would disconnect if the noise marign was between 7-8 db but this is not the case anymore. It all depends which part of the day ireboot the router as with this new firmware i need to be on about 8db+ to sync at the full 8096kbps. i hope you understand what i mean.

btw why is that you shouldn't plug your router into the second socket? Asking because plugging into the master is a slight problem for me considering where it is.

Exchange:
      Thanks

An extension is an extension - whether plug in or hardwired (though the former is usually the worst).

The router needs an unfiltered signal, the phone/digibox etc has to be filtered. If you fit a filtered faceplate to the master and then connect the router to an extension then the extension has to be unfiltered. Unfiltered lengths of wire act as aerials and if you add a phone then you are back to a plug in filter so there's no point in the faceplate as it's out of the circuit.

OK, so we've now ascertained that your router will indeed sync at 8096kbps at the test socket. That's not what you seemed to be suggesting earlier. Yes, the new firmware holds a connection better than the old.

So, to sum up, if you want the fastest, most stable connection possible, fit a faceplate, plug your router into it and then run an ethernet cable to the PC. If you can't do that then as the test socket comparison showed, you'll have to put up with a sub-standard quality connection.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

dont you think its rather foolish that one should not plug their router into the extension(slave) socket. Two major issues arise from this.

Firstly the master sockets, like my one, are mostly downstairs and there is a cordless phone sitting right next to it. Does this not cause interference? and will this be removed by fitting a filtered faceplate?

Secondly there is also a problem with wireless range is there not the dg834gt's wireless range is quite poor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast