Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

What do these stats mean - good or bad?

This is a discussion on What do these stats mean - good or bad? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Can anyone tell me if these stats are good or bad as they mean very little to me? Port Status ...

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

What do these stats mean - good or bad?

Can anyone tell me if these stats are good or bad as they mean very little to me?

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1447 1225 0 263 517 00:30:00
      LAN 100M/Full 31699 22274 0 14494 2249 00:47:58
      WLAN 11M/54M 893 0 0 91 0 00:47:44
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6784 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 9 db 1.5 db
      Noise Margin 12 db 26 db

According to Sam Knows I am 475 yards as crow flies from BT exchange although Sam quotes 675 yards actual. No matter what I do the best speeds I ever get from any speed tester site are approx 3.2 to 3.5. I have used laptop to test all four sockets in house (two being used by Sky) one for phone one for Broadband. All sockets professionally wired and tried new filters in all sockets. Also connected directly into master socket and used the test socket - all results are almost identical. Service is Sky Connect, previously BT, no change in results with either service provider - ringer wire disconnected.

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: What do these stats mean - good or bad?

with connect you may not always get the same speeds as people on Sky's LLU. connect is a re-branded BT service and has some other factors involved (contention and bras profile)

just out of interest, how much do you pay at the moment for your BB

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richone54 View Post
      with connect you may not always get the same speeds as people on Sky's LLU. connect is a re-branded BT service and has some other factors involved (contention and bras profile)

just out of interest, how much do you pay at the moment for your BB
      I'm acutely aware that my speeds won't be anywhere near the speeds achieved using Sky's LLU service. The Connect service is a standard charge of 17 per month.

However, your reply hasn't answered any of the questions I actually asked in my post?

Thanks

i take it by the tone of your reply you do not need me to try and answer so i will not

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

i take it by the tone of your reply you do not need me to try and answer so i will not
      I'm as completely baffled by your second reply as I was the first - I do want my post answering otherwise I would not have posted. Have you had a bad day or something? My first post asked what the stats meant and I also included other information i.e. the service I was using, distance from exchange, speeds achieved etc. You then replied and asked me how much I was paying - not sure of the relevance of that question, you then went on to tell me about not getting same speeds as LLU which I thought you were stating the blindingly obvious. You also mention contention ratios and BRAS which I know all about as I have been having this argument with BT for the last couple of years.

In closing I would refer you back to my original post - that is what I would like explaining. If my response has offended you then apologies in advance though I do think your initial response would have left most people puzzled.

Thanks

ok, we may have gotten off on the wrong foot,

your stats are fine, i do not know what you are looking for in respect to them (you know about contention and bras profiles, which seems to be more relevent to your situation than the router stats themselves)

the reason i asked about the payment is because i was looking to see if your exchange may be due to convert to LLU (if you were paying 5 for connect, it would be sometime soon)

as to having a bad day, i would say no, but on friday i did have to leave work early as i seem to have man flu, which kept me in be from about 3pm friday untill 11am saturday maybe i'm still getting over it

P.S the 3rd link in my sig may give you the answers you are looking for

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

you should have a sync speed of the full 8Mbps so i'd assume you're not running from your master socket...IF you were LLU'd you'd be looking at the full 16Mbps so i'd take a look at your wiring and see if you can bump it up...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

ok, we may have gotten off on the wrong foot,

your stats are fine, i do not know what you are looking for in respect to them (you know about contention and bras profiles, which seems to be more relevent to your situation than the router stats themselves)

the reason i asked about the payment is because i was looking to see if your exchange may be due to convert to LLU (if you were paying 5 for connect, it would be sometime soon)

as to having a bad day, i would say no, but on friday i did have to leave work early as i seem to have man flu, which kept me in be from about 3pm friday untill 11am saturday maybe i'm still getting over it

P.S the 3rd link in my sig may give you the answers you are looking for
      I've just had same cold or at least similar - really can't do with colds as they always lay me low. As I have said previously though I think there's about as much chance as a snow ball in hell of our exchange ever being upgraded. It really does annoy me as if I moved 700 yards down the road I would be on the same exchange as the rest of the 9 thousand people in our immediate area and could have Sky LLU. I have asked Sky if we are on the list for upgrading and am told not yet. They have been telling other local Sky customers this same story since launch in 2006. I don't suppose I would outlay the cash to LLU for less than a thousand homes.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      you should have a sync speed of the full 8Mbps so i'd assume you're not running from your master socket...IF you were LLU'd you'd be looking at the full 16Mbps so i'd take a look at your wiring and see if you can bump it up...
      No not connected to master socket - next one in circuit. However, I have connected the router and Laptop using Ethernet connection to the master socket and the speeds were as I said earlier almost identical. BT have checked my line twice in last twelve months but could find no fault. Wiring is pretty new right back to exchange - approx 10 years old running through plastic conduits under gardens then into the avenue and back to exchange. Sockets in property were installed by BT. Starts at front of property with a junction box then cable neatly tacked to brickwork and round to rear where master socket is installed then upstairs to office.

P.S. Sky state my speed should be around 4.5 for our exchange but cannot guarantee that speed and actuals may be less. - this I already know.
      Last edited by Faust; 06-04-08 at 03:45 PM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

any changes made will then take 3 days to show a difference so you'll need it in the master for those 3 days so the line can re-profile...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast