Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

What do these stats mean - good or bad?

This is a discussion on What do these stats mean - good or bad? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; O.k. Sky Connect is a BT product, and BT give your line a profile based on your sync speed. As ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: What do these stats mean - good or bad?

O.k. Sky Connect is a BT product, and BT give your line a profile based on your sync speed. As your speed is 7024 you fall in the 6Mbps profile. However this does not take effect straight away, depending on how many profile steps you have moved from your old sync speed, it can take up to 5 days for the new profile to take effect, and hence an increase in throughput. this is way it is important to maintain your sync speed (and also way you should get on to LLU as soon as you can, where you get what you sync at)
      You need to check the BT speed test site (you need to keep trying this as it is very flaky) where you profile is displayed.
      As for checking against other lines, no two line perform the same, there are too many variables.

2. Advertisement
      Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      (and also way you should get on to LLU as soon as you can, where you get what you sync at)
      You need to check the BT speed test site (you need to keep trying this as it is very flaky) where you profile is displayed.
      How I wish LLU was possible - sadly it's only ever likely to be a dream for me as no ISP is going to LLU an exchange with less than a thousand connections. That BT speed test site has gone worse, it now asks me to put in my username and when I do states I'm not recognised and to contact my ISP???

Has anyone noticed how Sky Broadband are now making it harder to get in touch with them via email. If you email MySky which I have done asking for further information about LLU, they send an email back stating your email has not been read and you can only contact them via an online form which only allows a very limited amount of characters so you cannot put your point across???

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Well blow me! I've done two tests today, one at 08.15 this morning when I clocked 6.7mbps and one this evening at 17.45 when I clocked 4.6 mbps. I've never had speeds this good. Router seems to have settled at just 6kbps under 7000. I have tried to get onto the bt speed checker with no luck. It keeps asking for username - I have managed to get username and password from my router but I cannot find anyway of accessing it to change it (as per instructions) - that's the Netgear V2 934G. I don't want to flash it and end up damaging it but would have like to get some proper results from the BT checker.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

The speedtests sites are not very reliable as the result depends on how busy the server is at the time of the test. This is bourne out by the result you got this morning when it would have been relatively quiet compared with the evening one when it would have been busier. Also you will never get a dl that exactly matches your sync as overheads will take up some bandwidth. It looks like things have stabilised quite nicely for you.
      Last edited by dholdi; 11-04-08 at 06:16 PM.

Thanks

Hi Faust.
      Right now you see the relationship between sync speed and your line profile. It is important to keep your sync speed as high as you can, and as stable as possible because if it drops below the bracket for your profile, then your profile will drop very quickly, but it can take days to return if you sync back to a higher speed.
      Don't tell me that this is not fair!! I know!! but the system was set up to give a stable connection, not always at the highest speed.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Faust.
      Right now you see the relationship between sync speed and your line profile. It is important to keep your sync speed as high as you can, and as stable as possible because if it drops below the bracket for your profile, then your profile will drop very quickly, but it can take days to return if you sync back to a higher speed.
      Don't tell me that this is not fair!! I know!! but the system was set up to give a stable connection, not always at the highest speed.
      Hi Brian,

Yes I see and understand what you are saying and I will make it a regular task to check my router sync speed. I can't understand why BT engineers couldn't Sus what the issue was when they paid me a visit, it really doesn't inspire confidence does it?. Will the info on the line checker alter when I enter my phone number i.e. your line can support speeds up to 4.5 mbps now my speeds are climbing as I'm getting in excess of that quote, or is it something BT put there to cover their corporate backsides?

Thanks

Hi Faust.
      Glad all now seems o.k, yes the BT profile will begin to reflect the speeds you are getting, but this takes a while, so give it a few days.
      As for my colleagues, I will not bad mouth them, however if you PM me your address I will put a filter faceplate in the post, as a sort of peace offering

Don't anyone else ask

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Don't anyone else ask
      Doh

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

I do like it when Sky send me an email - if nothing else you have to smile, take this latest example -

Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support.
      I have accessed your account details and can confirm that your line can support broadband speeds of up to 4608 Kbps. Initial tests indicate your are receiving 6994Kbps. You are 10450 meters from the exchange.
      We have no information as to when your exchange will be unbundled to allow our equipment to be installed. When this does happen you will automatically be placed on our Mid package.
      I trust this helps however should you continue to experience technical difficulties, please reply to this email or call us on 08442 41 05 15 . Lines are open 24 hours a day.
      As part of Sky’s commitment to continual improvement, please take a few moments to complete a short confidential questionnaire. This will provide us with feedback on the Technical Support we provide by email.
      Now I am as the crow flies 475 yards from the exchange 675 yards actual. I know telecoms cables don't go in straight lines but 10450 meters ? That would put me in the next town????

As for not being LLU well that is just taking the proverbial as we're never likely to be LLU.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456