Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

What do these stats mean - good or bad?

This is a discussion on What do these stats mean - good or bad? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You are right, the first thing you need to do is get your wiring sorted so that the test socket ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: What do these stats mean - good or bad?

You are right, the first thing you need to do is get your wiring sorted so that the test socket can operate correctly.
      Next get a filter faceplate, this will provide an output for the router and prevent interferance from your wiring from causing problems. the XTE-2005 from ADSL Nation is very good.
      Is it possible to locate the router close to the master socket? If it is, then you could run a cable from it to the computer, or you could use mains network adaptors.
      The low speed download is down to the connect product/BT, but if you can maintain a higher sync speed this should improve

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Cat5e is a multiple twisted pair data cable, the same as the type that connects your router to your nic in your pc. It is used extensively for hardwired networks in offices, schools etc. It can be run upto 100m.
      Last edited by dholdi; 07-04-08 at 10:40 PM.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

We have a couple of ex BT engineers who put sockets in cabling etc. locally so putting new cable in is not a problem, same goes for filter plate. The main problem as I see it is going to be that original socket which has to stay active for Sky. To put that socket as part of the master socket circuit would the engineer not have to run a cable back from the master socket all the way around the outside of the house again to the original socket which is where the junction box is, and would all the extra cabling not be a further source of noise? I am thinking of getting new cabling though as the cabling that's there at present is very thin compared to the cabling I had installed recently for the upstairs Sky+ box.

Thanks

I cannot guess how you wiring is arranged, but it may not be as hard to change as you think. If you have local help then ask them.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      I cannot guess how you wiring is arranged, but it may not be as hard to change as you think. If you have local help then ask them.
      Quite simple really - junction box front of house with original socket right behind it on other side of wall in the lounge. The other three sockets are as follows - wiring from junction box all the way around house to kitchen (master socket) from kitchen upstairs to office (standard socket) from that upstairs socket another cable is joined into that socket and taken along outside wall into next bedroom with socket for Sky+.

It's that original socket behind junction box that stays active when the faceplate is removed from master socket as that original socket is joined directly to junction box.

Thanks

Then it is prob quite simple.
      The incomming line pair should go only to the master socket (When I do this I try to use the green pair. this assumes that the cable to the master is 3 pair). the feed to the original socket (the one you now use for your Sky receiver) is feed back from the master using the blue pair and the orange/white ring for the ring line (I know you have pulled all your ring lines, but you will need them if you use a filter faceplate).
      All other wireing can stay as it is. Now when you pull the faceplate from the master, all extension sockets will be dead, and when you use a filter faceplate, all extension sockets and wiring will be filtered. The ADSL sig will only be avalible at the faceplate filter, or you can run an extension from it for ADSL.

Thanks

Brian, would changing the original socket in the lounge to a master ( even tho its not used ) then all the others would become extensions from the master work better ? Then change the master for an adsl nation filtered one ?

Thanks

Hi Dholdi.
      The problem with doing that is, the original socket is now used for Sky receiver so if you make that the master, then the router would have to be put close to the sky box which is not a good idea. Apart from that it would work.
      I agree, in an ideal world i would put the master as close to where the line enters as possible, along with a filter faceplate, and then make all the other sockets extensions. These are the choices that have to be made on site, and are up to Faust.
      Last edited by Brian69; 08-04-08 at 07:56 AM.

Thanks

Hi Brian , yes thats true, like you say its all down to the circumstances specific to the site. Another variable which may effect the final decision is the need for the plus boxes to be connected to the phoneline. If Faust is out of the 12 month contract and doesnt use box office etc then theres no need for them to be connected ?

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      Hi Brian , yes thats true, like you say its all down to the circumstances specific to the site. Another variable which may effect the final decision is the need for the plus boxes to be connected to the phoneline. If Faust is out of the 12 month contract and doesnt use box office etc then theres no need for them to be connected ?
      I was well outside the 12 month contract until I had multi-room, now the contract states that with multi-room you have to have phone connected at all times - or else

I will check the cable to the master though wouldn't be surprised if it isn't three pair as it's so thin. Looking at the cable running up to the junction box tonight coming out of the conduit in the garden, now that is thick cable, like a very thick piece of co-ax and in beautiful condition too!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast