Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

What do these stats mean - good or bad?

This is a discussion on What do these stats mean - good or bad? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Brian69 Yes. With the faceplate removed from the master socket, and the test socket exposed, there should ...

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: What do these stats mean - good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Yes. With the faceplate removed from the master socket, and the test socket exposed, there should be no dial tone at any socket other than the test socket.
      Right, just done it and there's a problem - the phone line comes out of a conduit in the garden up to a junction box (grey) on the wall outside. From there it goes straight inside to a socket on the other side of the wall. However, we didn't want our phone there so asked BT to put a socket in the kitchen. This they did and that is a master type socket complete with test socket. However, just tested the sockets with a phone and all the other sockets are dead except the original one which is still working with the master socket removed. Is this likely to be a cause of my problem - I do have an ADSL filter in the socket and it is used just for the Sky digi box?

If it is a problem then what do I do about it - doubt BT would come back as a gratis job after 10 years.
      Last edited by Faust; 06-04-08 at 11:29 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Yes. you are unable to test you line without disconnecting all your wiring. Before you go any further you will need to get this attended to by Openreach. there may well be a charge for this.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes. you are unable to test you line without disconnecting all your wiring. Before you go any further you will need to get this attended to by Openreach. there may well be a charge for this.
      Well I suppose I could just disconnect the wires myself for the purposes of running a test as I do have one of those tools for popping the wires. For actually using the Internet though is having this line connected in this way likely to cause a problem with my speeds or is it simply an inconvenience for testing the line?

Thanks

The point is without the ability to disconnect all your wiring and just do a sync test from the test socket, there is no way of knowing if your wiring is effecting your broadband performance.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

The point is without the ability to disconnect all your wiring and just do a sync test from the test socket, there is no way of knowing if your wiring is effecting your broadband performance.
      I will disconnect the wires from the original socket completley tomorrow night and see what happens then. I do think I'm up against it though as the BT checker likes to keep telling me.

We've just tested your line and can confirm your line supports the UK's most complete broadband package, BT Total Broadband and we can confirm that you will be able to reach a maximum download speed of 4.5 Mbps (Megabits per second).

Thanks

the info from BT is based on the performance of your line now. If you attend to your wiring, and your speed increases then all will be well.

Mods.
      Would it be possible to add somewhere that it is important to check that extension sockets must stop working with the faceplate removed.?

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Mods. Would it be possible to add somewhere . . . . .
      This has been covered a number of times in various threads in the cabling and faceplate help forum. The problem of course is that as new threads get added, so that info gets harder to find.

All I can suggest is the creation of a new sticky but as there are already 5 stickies in that forum adding another just for that would be a bit of overkill.

However, if you would like to have a go at a new sticky covering the basics (which would allow us to unsticky a couple of threads) then that would be great.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

I disconnected the original telephone point this evening and conducted the test again by connecting to the test socket - all other sockets now dead. Below are the stats having left the router connected into test socket for approx 1 hour.

Router Statistics
      Up Time: 00:06:37
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 562 648 0 366 1676 00:06:01
      LAN 100M/Full 1099 1230 0 2250 669 00:06:33
      WLAN 11M/54M 470 0 0 274 0 00:06:19
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6976 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 8 db 1.5 db
      Noise Margin 11 db 25 db

After reconnecting the orginal socket I then took a further stat this time not in test socket but in normal operating socket i.e. I don't use master socket, with all other sockets live, obviously all filtered.

Router Statistics
      System Up Time: 00:01:39
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 99 138 0 203 1906 00:01:02
      LAN 100M/Full 619 785 0 4097 1502 00:01:35
      WLAN 11M/54M 366 0 0 1271 0 00:01:22
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4448 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 12 db 1.5 db
      Noise Margin 15 db 25 db

Actual speeds recorded via Think Broadband for both set of stats were a rather pathetic 1.5 mbps. This is quite normal for evenings - given that our exchange is flagged as green for not congested one can only assume that the contention ratios are set a ridiculous levels?

P.S. what if anything do these two sets of figures show?

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

The figures show that your internal wiring is causing a 33% ish reduction in sync, increase in line att and effected the nm. If you left it in the test socket for a number of days ( I know youve said previosly that thats not an option ) you may find that the line will retrain higher than the 6976. Have you considered a dedicated extension in cat5e from the master to where your router is located ?
      This worked fine for me.
      Last edited by dholdi; 07-04-08 at 09:49 PM.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      The figures show that your internal wiring is causing a 33% ish reduction in sync, increase in line att and effected the nm. If you left it in the test socket for a number of days ( I know youve said previosly that thats not an option ) you may find that the line will retrain higher than the 6976. Have you considered a dedicated extension in cat5e from the master to where your router is located ?
      This worked fine for me.
      I suspect a lot of the problem may be from the original socket and how it's been wired, having said that the cable length of that socket is quite literally the thickness of the wall, as it simply comes straight through the backplate of the junction box outside. When I said to BT that I wanted to site the telephone in the kitchen and not the lounge the BT engineer just took a cable from the same junction box and neatly tacked the cable to the brickwork all the way around the house (detached) to the kitchen. There are then two further sockets from that master in the kitchen, the first one is for the computer upstairs and the second one is taken from that upstairs socket along the outside wall to the next bedroom for another Sky+ box. The original one now works independently of the other three?

Even if I got a better sync speed the main problem seems to be the contention ratios as shown this evening with the 1.5 mbps even the sync speed is much higher, or have I got that wrong?

I've never heard of he cat5e cable that you mention - what is it?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast