Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

What do these stats mean - good or bad?

This is a discussion on What do these stats mean - good or bad? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy any changes made will then take 3 days to show a difference so you'll need it ...

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: What do these stats mean - good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      any changes made will then take 3 days to show a difference so you'll need it in the master for those 3 days so the line can re-profile...
      Right then below is the latest stats from the master socket - plugged and left in for about 4 hours.

Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1927 2146 0 6406 10677 00:03:22
      LAN 100M/Full 2819 2779 0 6016 3590 00:06:57
      WLAN 11M/54M 698 321 0 403 120 00:06:43
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6176 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 8 db 1.5 db
      Noise Margin 10 db 24 db

The actual speed test results as the stats were taken was 1.3 mbps at the busy time of 20:00 hrs. It really isn't possible to leave the PC plugged into the master socket other than for a few hours - busy part of the kitchen.

I'm sure though that the speeds I'm getting are everything to do with contention ratios and traffic shaping and nothing to do with poor wiring (which I might add is in tip top condition) least it is at my end. I used to have this argument with BT who would then tootle off to the exchange and do something at their end and then my speeds would increase for a few weeks. I also used to get better speeds when the exchange was flagged at 8 mpbs instead of the 4.5 it's supposed to be now. Funny how the exchange got downgraded - perhaps it moved farther away from our house without me noticing?

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You have a very low attenuation (good) and you should be syncing at the maximum for Connect with a very healthy noise margin.

Neither of these is true and this can only mean that you have line noise. Were it to be a profile issue you'd have a low sync and an even higher noise margin. At the moment the exchange equipment has determined that the best stable connection it can manage is a sync ~2meg under the max with a slightly high noise margin - which is typical of a line noise issue.

Note that line noise is generally induced i.e. an external influence such as power cables, rf, emf etc. Your line may well be travelling past a mains transformer or street lighting for instance - it could even be something in your house. BT won't pick this up as they just check for voice faults.
      Last edited by Saturday; 06-04-08 at 09:36 PM.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      You have a very low attenuation (good) and you should be syncing at the maximum for Connect with a very healthy noise margin.

Neither of these is true and this can only mean that you have line noise. Were it to be a profile issue you'd have a low sync and an even higher noise margin. At the moment the exchange equipment has determined that the best stable connection it can manage is a sync ~2meg under the max with a slightly high noise margin - which is typical of a line noise issue.

Note that line noise is generally induced i.e. an external influence such as power cables, rf, emf etc. Your line may well be travelling past a mains transformer or street lighting for instance - it could even be something in your house. BT won't pick this up as they just check for voice faults.
      Hmm! now that is interesting as there is a sub station within 15 yards of our house, plus we have a street light just to the left of our property. All the power cables are underground as is the BT lines.

Is there anything I can ask BT to do to solve this issue or at least determine the cause?
      Last edited by Faust; 06-04-08 at 09:57 PM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

do you have a test socket? worth a try in there and see if you have an improvement...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      do you have a test socket? worth a try in there and see if you have an improvement...
      When you say a test socket do you mean the socket in the master socket? If so I have already done that and posted the results a couple of posts back? I expect BT know full well what the problem is which is why they downgraded from the "up to 8 mbps" claims. Anything rather than fix the fault is BT's motto.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

no at the master socket, remove the 2 screws and pull off the bottom half of the master socket to reveal the test socket beneath. Try in that..... but remember as you are on connect you have to wait for the profile to change which takes at least 3 days to see and difference (not immediately or 4hrs as you have tried above, but at least 3 days..... and you might have to reboot each day as well to trigger the re-profile after 3 days).

However, take Saturday's post as the most accurate as he knows exactly what he is on about.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      no at the master socket, remove the 2 screws and pull off the bottom half of the master socket to reveal the test socket beneath. Try in that..... but remember as you are on connect you have to wait for the profile to change which takes at least 3 days to see and difference (not immediately or 4hrs as you have tried above, but at least 3 days..... and you might have to reboot each day as well to trigger the re-profile after 3 days).

However, take Saturday's post as the most accurate as he knows exactly what he is on about.
      I thought you meant the test socket - that is what I was using to post the most recent stats but as you say only for four hours. Sadly as the socket is in the kitchen it really isn't possible to leave my Laptop there for then next 3 days. I don't think the wife would be very amenable to ready meals for most of next week

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

When you are connected to the test socket, have you checked that all your other telephone sockets are dead?

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      When you are connected to the test socket, have you checked that all your other telephone sockets are dead?
      No I haven't though I have checked them all for ringer wires and disconnected any that were connected. How would I do this - presumably I don't need to plug the router into the test socket again? Am I right in assuming that I can just undo the face plate of the master socket so the connections are hanging loose then check the other phone sockets using an old hard wired telephone?

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Yes. With the faceplate removed from the master socket, and the test socket exposed, there should be no dial tone at any socket other than the test socket.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast