Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Poor speeds from router to PCs

This is a discussion on Poor speeds from router to PCs within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi About 2 months ago we got Sky Connect and configured 2 laptops and a desktop to wirelessly access the ...

iwmcarthur is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Poor speeds from router to PCs

Hi

About 2 months ago we got Sky Connect and configured 2 laptops and a desktop to wirelessly access the Sagem F@ST 2504 router. The router stats were showing a connection of 8192Kbps and broadbandspeedchecker was showing us getting about 5Mbps (which I was pretty happy with). Over the past week or so I've noticed that, even though the router is still showing 8192Kbps, we're only getting a fraction of that on the PCs. A couple of nights ago we were getting 25kbps () so it was as bad as dial-up. Last night and this morning it's been showing about 512kbps so we're talking about a tenth of what we were getting a couple of months ago. I connected our other desktop via an Ethernet cable into the router but it's still showing the poor speeds, which appears to rule out a wireless-only problem.

Apart from the usual Microsoft Update stuff, and setting up the PCs to be in a workgroup, I'm not aware of having changed anything else. I'm struggling a bit as to where to look for the cause of the problem. I'd imagine Sky themselves wouldn't be interested as the router is showing the 8Mbps speed I'm paying for.

After trawling through Sky User, and Google, without success I would appreciate any assistance available on here!

Many thanks

Iain

PS I'm at work just now so can't post any stats etc until this evening.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Poor speeds from router to PCs

wireless is the likely cause - try it wired with the laptop and see how it goes...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

seaninfrared is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gorseinon, South Wales
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Try using TCP OPTIMIZER SpeedGuide.net :: TCP Optimizer / Downloads to all of your connected PC/Laptops. Should see an increase of speeds. Remember to set it to optimal and set your download speed to your sync speed.

Also, post some router stats?

Ok pings. (24/05/08)

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the prompt replies guys. Will post the stats this evening and will look at the TCP Optimizer stuff as well.

Could wireless be the likely cause even though the ethernet attached desktop is also showing poor speeds?

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iwmcarthur View Post
      Thanks for the prompt replies guys. Will post the stats this evening and will look at the TCP Optimizer stuff as well.

Could wireless be the likely cause even though the ethernet attached desktop is also showing poor speeds?
      No it shouldn't, the speed the router shows is the "Sync" speed ie the idle speed negotiated with the exchange. There are many things that can effect the actual speed you end up getting, like wireless well you've ruled that one out, line errors caused by poor phone line or poor extension wiring. etc etc. The first thing would be to plug your router into the test socket which is hidden behind the face plate of your BT master socket. If things improve there then its likely you have poor extension wiring or a bad filter etc. Its trial and error I'm afraid. These problems are often not reflected in the "Sync speed"

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi all

Made sure all the PCs bar this laptop were powered off, ran a speed test using this laptop via wireless, turned off wireless, connected the ethernet cable and ran a speed test again. No significant difference between the two results I'm afraid. Still getting poor speeds at the PC end, although slightly better than this morning's.

Here are the stats from the router:-

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 146533 178849 0 0 0 0:20:47
      LAN 18687 12522 0 0 0 21:38:01
      WLAN 144380 145689 0 0 0 21:37:39
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 24.0 db 11.0 db
      Noise Margin 10.1 db 25.0 db

As you can see I seem to be getting the full 8Mbps from the router to the exchange.

I'll try out TCP Optimizer and post the results.

Thanks, Iain

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iwmcarthur View Post
      Hi all

As you can see I seem to be getting the full 8Mbps from the router to the exchange.

Thanks, Iain

Thats is not necessarly true, as I said earlier that is your "Sync Speed" to try to explain the process simply, Imagine that 50% of the data that your router recieved was corrupt due to line errors or some fault then the router would request the exchange to retransmit that information again, so your computer would only see a speed of 4mb because the other 4mb would be used up retransmitting faulty data. Hence if 75% of the data was corrupt your speed at the computer would drop to 2mb and so on! Thats why line errors are important. If TCP Optimiser dosen't help you may need to look further.
      Last edited by Koala5; 26-03-08 at 10:01 PM.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Tried using TCP Optimizer but it didn't seem to make any difference. Still getting poor download speeds of eg avg free edition

Is it worth trying to plug the router into the test socket in the master BT socket as I am getting a connection of 8Mb to the exchange already?

Banging my head against the wall on this one as really confused.

Cheers, Iain

Sky TV:
      Thanks

As above yes

BTW try downloading from this BT Openworld those free AVG downloads are slow. Also try this Namesco BroadbandMax ADSL Broadband Bandwidth speedtest | Test your ADSL Broadband connection speed
      Last edited by Koala5; 26-03-08 at 09:34 PM.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Koala5. That explains it better for me!! Even though I work in IT (the mainframe side) I wasn't picking up the subtleties of the sync speed bit. Thanks for the advice re AVG being slow....I tried a d/l of itunes and got about 350KB so that seems a lot better. I suppose that's about 2700-3500Kb depending on how you look at it !! Still not the 5120Kb I used to get but a whole lot better than the dial-up speeds from last night.

Going to try a few tests on one of the desktops so will keep you posted.

Thanks again, Iain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast