Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Speed Dropping From Sky BB Activated

This is a discussion on Speed Dropping From Sky BB Activated within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone very nice forum by the way! Anyway today is the 10th day i have had sky max activated ...

jonlfc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Belfast Cregagh
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Speed Dropping From Sky BB Activated

Hi everyone very nice forum by the way!

Anyway today is the 10th day i have had sky max activated
      I can only get between 3-4meg on my line but i took sky max because of the better download limit(fair use etc)

I know it is supposed to take 10 days for your line to settle ,but the first 2 days connected i was getting nearly 3000kbps downstream(no problems or disconnections) it then dropped to 2500kbps( still no problems or disconnections) and then slowly down to 1888kpbs were it has remained for the past 3 days(10th day today)
      Why the slower speed when i was getting 3000kbps without any problems?

I have tried all the TCP/Opt tweaks but still the same my router has also been left on the whole time

Present Router Stats
      Connection Speed Downstream 1888 kbps
      Upstream 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 61 db
      Noise Margin 6 db Down(this sometimes drops to 1db?) 11 db Up

any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Advertisement
      Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Speed Dropping From Sky BB Activated

Hi sorry but their is no 10 day training period on Base Mid or Max, your line attentuation is very high probably at the limit for broadband. Can you confirm how you are connected either wireless or hard wired and are you connected in the test socket?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi thanks for the reply did not know about NO 10 day settle in bit for max.I am connected via ethernet as i said had 3000k downstream with no problems nothing changed on my PC now poor speed 1888k downstream.
      The 3000k i was getting was via extension cable i also have plugged in to the test socket ...result same speeds.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

There may have been high errors on your line due to your distance from the exchange, you may not have noticed as the later router is better at copping with errors, but the system may have had to adjust your speed to compensate for your 61bd attenuation which is awfully high.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I thought i would get this..

Line Attenuation 61db- We estimate your line is capable of between 3mb to 4mb broadband on an ADSL2+ service.

When first connected 10 days ago when i had 3000kbps i downloaded a lot with no disconnections left pc on for 14 hours(8 gig)l d/loaded fine no disconnections everything hunky dory
      Plenty D/loaded after this no disrupted d/loads or disconnection just poor connection speed now

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unfortunately these speed estimators are not very accurate, just because you dont get disconnections it dosen't mean theres not line errors being logged. The estimated 4mb at 61db would be with a perfect error free line.
      There is another recent post called "Attenuation" check it out it may offer a better explaination.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Might need to answer a few basics like are you on your main telephone socket, any extensions in use, are filters in place etc for people to point to likely cuplrits but if you are a fair distance from exchange you may not see much more speed. If you ring sky tech support they can see what you were estimated on your DSL availability check and see if you are near to getting it.

Vegetto is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Droitwich
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Would like to add my problem is exactly the same (waste of a new thread )

Upgraded from Sky Base to Sky Mid roughly a fortnight ago. My Exchange supports max of 3.5mbit, confirmed by samknows and sky themselves. To begin with, i did a speed test which showed 3500kbit/s downstream and was downloading files at over 500kb/s. Fantastic. Distance from exchange is 1.72km in straight line.

However, like the OP, my connection has dropped under the exact same circumstances. Downloaded started getting slower, down to like 200kb/s, didn't worry. Started soem torrents a few days ago, wouldn't go above 90kb/s on any. I left them on for two days straight, and when i return, i find my connection speeds have dropped dramatically.

Several speed tests show me at around 1100/74 kbit/s. Latest one this morning showed higher upload, but DL the same. Just to rule a few things out:

Lines don't die overnight
      Filters don't die overnight
      Routers don't change settings for a laugh.
      It's not local PC settings.
      Had no issues since internet was made available in my area lol, that's how many years, and several ISP's. So my line, socket, is fine.

I use the standard netgear router, with wifi. Also have another PC connected by ethernet, which seemed to show problems before me.

Any ideas? I'd like to add that alot of the suggestions here don't make sense, there are no problems with our lines, things have changed by themselves over last few days, whereas when first upgrading/joining with Sky, speeds were outstanding and slowly deterioratee. It's not a wiring issue i guarantee you.
      Last edited by Vegetto; 13-03-08 at 11:28 AM.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

could you post some router stats

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I managed to get my speed up a bit, i moved my router downstairs to the main socket,got a wireless adapter for the pc now getting this

DownStream Connection Speed 2752 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation Down 60 db Up 15.5 db
      Noise Margin Down 7 db Up11 db

Has been steady on this now for the last few days,the noise margin still drops down a bit in the evenings sometimes to 4db,but overall better and steady compared to what i was getting

A question about my Attenuation according to the exchange checker i am ....You are around 2.67 kilometres from your exchange (as the crow flies).
      So i take it that my line is not as the crow flies by the high Attenuation?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast