Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Was it normal?

This is a discussion on Was it normal? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; When I was on AOL Silver (up to 2megs) and got a permanent 0.5meg (576kbps) I was told by engineers ...

mj_asylum is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carrickfergus
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Was it normal?

When I was on AOL Silver (up to 2megs) and got a permanent 0.5meg (576kbps) I was told by engineers that AOL were capping me. (Line Att: D: 13db / 3db. Noise: D: 31db / 31db).

AOL denied this.

Now they admit that P2P caused them to cap me. I was well within their 40/60gb limit. I'd only used 12gb. Oh dear was me using it on an already slow connection taking up too much bandwidth?

My line deserved better. LOL

I'm glad i'm rid of them. Even if they cocked up my MAC request by CANCELLING me (still wondering how they MISHEARD me) LOL.

I'll move to Sky 13th March. And adapt as I need to.

2. Advertisement
      Devil_Spawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Was it normal?

ive heard of p2p capping, but only rarely. you should have used encyption on your client, and you must also be unlucky

mj_asylum is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carrickfergus
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Was it normal?

I did encrypt the P2P. I remember being told to do that. So I still don't understand.

Anyhoo. All over now. **takes a deep breath** I quite enjoyed removing AOL 'spyware' 9.0 from my PC. My PC is 2 years and slow. Now it's 2 years old and lightening quick (for it's age).

After a few uninstalls, reboots, and file searching...I think I got most of it. Used CCleaner to get of stuff. Everything I could think off.

I'm never going to install security or programs as ram hungry and DLL messing as AOL or McAfee or Norton again. They make it so hard to remove their stuff. It should be illegal.

I use free stuff now. And filehippo.com is my saviour. LOL