Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Sky Tell me I've been upgraded from connect to the Mid package?

This is a discussion on Sky Tell me I've been upgraded from connect to the Mid package? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; well that's cause its capped (which we all know)...prob a noisey line in this case......

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Sky Tell me I've been upgraded from connect to the Mid package?

well that's cause its capped (which we all know)...prob a noisey line in this case...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      Miracle_Boy66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSHAM
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Hi Guys,

Yeah, I had noticed that my up speed is lower that it was before but I can live with that, up speed is not that important to me & I really don't want to ask sky to start messing with the settings again incase I get capped further again.

What is curious is that my line was capped yesterday about 45 mins after I finished talking to the T3 guy I spoke too. The CST I spoke to earlier couldn't see why someone had gone in a capped me at that time. Strange????

I must admit I would prefer to go back to Mid as I don't really need the unlimited downloads but again, I don't want to risk things getting screwed up again so I'll bite my tounge & keep quiet.

My understanding of how things BB work are of course limited so I just have to stay puzzled about why my reasonable stats won't give me any better results with ADSL2+ but at least I can now stream youtube vids without them hanging on me like they were when I tried last night!!!

The CST has actually given me a contact e-mail address which I have to use if anything goes wrong i.e. I find I've been capped further again & he is going to keep in touch over the next week or so to see how I'm getting on so I really can't ask for any more than that. From what I've read, I'm in a better position that most sky users who are having problems with their BB so I'm not complaining at all. It's amazing what a pleasant tone & some small talk can do for you!!!!

Thanks again guys!!! I'd be screwed without your help!!!!

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      well that's cause its capped (which we all know)...prob a noisey line in this case...
      You're missing the point (again) . . . . yes he's capped but that by definition means he could be uncapped. Yet apparently not because the router will only sync at the capped speed but he has noise margin and max rate that . . . oh never mind I'm losing the will to live

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miracle_Boy66 View Post
      I must admit I would prefer to go back to Mid as I don't really need the unlimited downloads but again, I don't want to risk things getting screwed up again so I'll bite my tounge & keep quiet.
      That shouldn't be an issue. All they're need to do is change the billing rate, they wouldn't need to change your connection profile (sync) as it is already Mid. But I can see why you're hesitant.

Miracle_Boy66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSHAM
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Hi Saturday/IANTE,

RE: Downgrading, I asked the CST his opinion on on staying with max or downgrading back to mid & he explained that downgrading is a much more complex process than upgrading is (as far as sky are concerned) & that my profile may well be messed about with as part of the process. He reminded me about the unlimited download limit & said that if I could afford to stick with the max price I'd probably be safer to do that.

It's a bit scarey coming from a sky support employee but I'd expect he understands the processes much better than most so I'll take his word for it. Like I said earlier, He could not explain why some other person or CST had capped me 45 mins after I had finished my call to sky yesterday so I guess raising tickets gets all manner of bodies involved who may or may not really know what they are actually doing.

Still, for 10 a month, compared to any other rival, sky are still offering a very good deal. who knows how long that will last for in the long term though????? Time will tell.

Edited!! Just as an after thought, Do you guys know how things are coming allong with the trials for the new firmware release for the v1 router? Or any idea how I'd be able to get my hands on the new sagem/netgear one? Sorry, should really start a new thread shouldn't I!!!

Cheers!!!!
      Last edited by Miracle_Boy66; 11-02-08 at 11:00 PM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      You're missing the point (again) . . . . yes he's capped but that by definition means he could be uncapped. Yet apparently not because the router will only sync at the capped speed but he has noise margin and max rate that . . . oh never mind I'm losing the will to live
      im not missing the point at all!! if he's spoken to CST and they've tried the line on ADSL2+ and it wouldn't sync over 8Mbps then there's no point leaving it uncapped as the FW will kick off...

having said that, he can just use Mognuts to set SNR himself if he can get uncapped but then that is breaking T&C's - lol...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

ossie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Thanet
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Probably.

Your attenuation of 37.5db is capable of supporting a sync speed of ~12500kbps if your line is relatively noise free. Your router is syncing at 7597kbps, your stats show you're not capped, so the shortfall is down to a noisy line.

Fix the noise (see the cabling and faceplate help forum) and your sync will rise.
      Found out by trial and error fault was down to an ADSL filter.
      Replaced filter and now get 10029 kbps.

Cheers for the help.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345