Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless and Wired speeds through same Router

This is a discussion on Wireless and Wired speeds through same Router within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have just moved over to Sky Connect and I am getting 5.6mb speeds on my PC connected via ethernet ...

Huddo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless and Wired speeds through same Router

I have just moved over to Sky Connect and I am getting 5.6mb speeds on my PC connected via ethernet cable to my Sagem Router.

I have a laptop which is connected wirelessly to the router and this is getting speeds of around 2-3mb.

Is this normal as the signal strength is Excellent with all the bars filled.

Is there anything I should be doing to improve the wireless speeds.
      I'm afraid I'm a newbie to all this and I don't know if it's normal for the wirelsss speed to be different to the wired speed ?

Is threre anyway of changing channels on the router to try different ones ?

Any help greatly appreciated

HUDDO

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Wireless and Wired speeds through same Router

Try changing channels,
      (instructions will vary depending on router but basically you go into a browser, type 192.168.0.1 into the address line, hit enter, user name is admin, password is sky.
      In the white router you are looking for wireless settings link on left, on the black router you click on the setup link towards top left of screen)
      also make sure nothing like cordless phone bases etc are near the router or wireless pc. Unfortunately though you rarely see wireless speeds that are exactly the same as ethernet speeds.

Huddo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Try changing channels,
      (instructions will vary depending on router but basically you go into a browser, type 192.168.0.1 into the address line, hit enter, user name is admin, password is sky.
      In the white router you are looking for wireless settings link on left, on the black router you click on the setup link towards top left of screen)
      also make sure nothing like cordless phone bases etc are near the router or wireless pc. Unfortunately though you rarely see wireless speeds that are exactly the same as ethernet speeds.

OK I'll try this when I get home tonight.

I have been into the setting part of my router to set up my PS3 on the DNZ or DMZ if that makes sense. The PS3 works fine, great online gaming and no lag as yet.

There are no cordless phone in my house and there is just one phone socket which is wired to my normal phone and sky+ and the filter is on the line correctly.

Don't get me wrong the laptop works fine and seems quick enough but if I could be getting better speeds it would be nice. I'm basically getting half of the wired speed out of the wireless one and wondered if this was normal. I have checked my laptop and it quotes 809.11g as something to do with the wireless connection if that means anything to anyone ?

Thanks

HUDDO

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Wireless won't be as fast because you have introduced an encrypt/decrypt stage into the process. So you will have some overhead to achieve that. If it seems fast enough on your laptop I'd personally accept that and not worry about trying to achieve an improvement that might only be marginal.