Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sync Speed issues

This is a discussion on Sync Speed issues within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I moved home about 4 weeks ago and got Sky re-enabled at the new address. I live about 400m ...

mamcdi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bexhill
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sync Speed issues

Hi,

I moved home about 4 weeks ago and got Sky re-enabled at the new address. I live about 400m from the exchange so was fair positive I would get 16Mbit as I subscribe to Max.

Once the connection was established the router sync'd at 16Mbit as I thought and had attenuation of about 15 and SNR of about 6, this ran like a dream for 7 days then I started to suffer problems, the internet would stop working but on logging into the router it still showed as connnected and the logs showed no sign of dropping connection and the statistics showed no errors. The only way to fix was to reboot the router and away it would go fine again, sometimes for a day or so sometimes for a couple of hours before a reboot was required to resolve again.

I reported this to Sky 4 days ago and was eventually put through to tier 3 who did some tests and then tried to do a beep test. The could not run the beep test and they told me that there was a problem with the line and it need escalated to the people in the exchange. Anyway I was capped to 8Mbit(they never told me this but I noticed and presumed this was part of there work).

Anyway I got a call today telling me that there was nothing they can do and that 8Mbit is as good as its going to get. I tried to explain that I had had 16Mbit working fine and stable for about 7 days(possibly more actually) but they are having none of it, they say the line will not support anymore than 8Mbit.

Tonight the line has dropped down to 5.2Mbit after me having another conversation with them and them trying a "few things". There is slightly funny thing with the drop line though, it comes from the pole to my neighbours house then from there house to mine. Half way from my neighbours to mine though the cable goes into a box about the size of a NTE5 box then comes back out the other side. This box is wrapped in a black insulation tape as best I can make out.

Sky say there is nothing they can do now unless I can get a NTE5 socket fitted in my house and can l plug the router into the test socket so that they can get "pure" test against the line. I do not have a NTE5 as the house was built in 1910 and the drop line comes into to a GPO box on a window ledge. There are 3 telephone points in my house, they seem to run serially from the socket into which the router is plugged in. None have a BT logo on them though.

Spoke with BT and basically they want about 120 to fit a NTE5 socket. BT have ran checks(voice checks) and the line has come back 100% fine. Sky will not arrange a Open Reach engineer in case they get charged for a no fault found and they say I should demand a NTE5 socket be fitted as this is my right as stated by OFCOM(is this true??).

Also according to BT I can not disconnect the extensions as they are plugged(Kron'd) into the first socket which is theirs as they have to provide the first socket from the drop line.

Any thoughts/help much appreciated, stats are below. Not sure where to go from here? Speeds seem to be getting slower and slower. I have tried all the usual things, filters, unplugging everthing but it makes no difference.

Sorry about the long winded explanation.

Thanks

Down stream Attenuation 17db
      Down stream SNR 16.6 db
      Upstream Atten 12 db
      Upstream SNR 14 db

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Sync Speed issues

you're capped...

socket wise, BT are obliged (or it was my understanding) to fit a new nte5 socket if needed. however, you have sync over 256K (which BT consider the lowest limit of what can be classed as BB) so they'll charge you. And Sky won't do it as you have a working BB connection and Max is 'up to' 16Mbps...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

mamcdi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bexhill
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi again,

Got a text message from Sky today saying that they had regraded my line. After phoning them basically what this meant was that they had capped my line to 5 Meg.

Spoke with a very knowledgeful lady who set my line back to 16Meg to see if she could figure out why I had been capped at 5 Meg. After about 1 hour on the phone basically my line is suffering huge amonts of errors(CRC etc) which mean although it will sync and run at this rate eventually the connection eventually just stalls due to the amount of errors. Anyways she tried everything from 16Meg downwards(in 1Meg chunks) until the errors stopped at just a fraction under 8 Meg. So I am now running at just under 8 Meg.

I am happy with the 8 Meg now, I was not yesterday because as far as I could tell I was getting 16 Meg 5-7 days ago and it worked so why could I not get it now. The difference today was that the lady actually took the time to explain why I could sync at 16Meg but that this was not actually stable and proceeded to help me in a systematic and positive way to get a resolution.

I did not catch the ladys name but if you are a member or read this forum many thanks to you for your time and effort in explaining and resolving to my satifaction this issue.

Keep up the excellent forum by the way guys. Thanks.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

as long as you are happy with your connection at 8meg thats all that matters
      (must say with better internal wiring you would get so much better, not sure how long i would have the 8meg before i started having phone line problems and needed BT out to sort out the sockets )