Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Can you Move the Master Socket and How Much

This is a discussion on Can you Move the Master Socket and How Much within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, I originally thought I was using the Master Socket in the lounge but on closer inspection the main ...

Misplaced is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can you Move the Master Socket and How Much

Hi All,

I originally thought I was using the Master Socket in the lounge but on closer inspection the main phone line comes in the house near the front door into a small white box (what is this?). A line then goes to the kitchen and 2 more come out as we have extensions in the lounge and bedroom.

Is it possible to move the master socket? I want to get the best possible speeds that my line will allow.

If the Master Socket can be moved am i right in thinking that BT will have to do it? If so, how much will it cost?

Or is there another way of doing this?

By the way I have old sockets and not the ones where the lower part of the faceplate removes.

Cheers

Mis

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Can you Move the Master Socket and How Much

It sounds like the small white box in the hall is where a master socket would be fitted. Yes technically bt would have to install one for you as they own the line and the small white box. You could try and "induce" some noise onto the bt side of things and they will probably replace with a new style master socket when rectifying the damaged cable - if you get where I'm coming from. When I moved to this house the line was damaged where a cable clip had corroded on the outside of the house. Any call you make to bt must be related to problems (crackling etc) with voice - dont mention bb problems.
      Last edited by dholdi; 15-01-08 at 12:54 AM.

unity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wigan
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

I would just ask for a master socket to be installed as you do not have one, and so don`t have the facility of disconnecting your extentions. B.T. cannot charge you for this. Then when the engineer arrives, be nice to him/her, and tell the reason why you want a master socket fitted, they then are put into the picture, rather than reading the notes on the job and being lied to. Engineers are not going to be fobbed off the same as Bangalor techs are, and would sooner you tell the trouth than mess them around with costly lies. :-)

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

People on here have talked about 165 charges for having a master socket fitted. Dunno if thats still the case.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Okay from what you are saying even though the cable from outside goes to the small white box (which is 'oval' in shape) and then to a phone socket in the kitchen - this phone socket is not the Master Socket?

I am a little confused - it doesn't take much - How can i be sure that i do not have a Master Socket? I don't want to call BT out and then be hit with an outrageous fee

Any advice welcome and appreciated.

Mis

audioslim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Of course cables can always become damaged, in particular the cable that comes into your master socket. You'll often find that these cables (in older houses) tend to run back to a little rectangular box which is pre-master socket days. These too are getting on a bit and prone to problems

Slim

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i understand what is being said about cables that can become damaged

The only problem I have is that the cable leading into the house to the samll white box is in pretty good condition and the cable elading out is in the same condition.

However, the socket the line goes to in the kitchen is in a sorry state as it is off the wall and dangling. If the wires in this became 'damaged' would BT just fix the wiring and put a new socket on? Or would they, if asked, put in a Master Socket in a more suitable place for me?

Or is it a case that I have no Master Socket as such and ask that they remedy this or would they class the small white box as a Master Socket?

I hope this makes sense.

Mis

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

They would probably look to sort the whole thing out properly as it will save them coming back again if another fault develops as you will be able to use the test socket for diagnosis and they will then know if the fault is their side of the equipment or yours.

pntalbot8 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If you are paying for `Line Only`it is not Bt`s responsibilty to refix your Wire or Box in kitchen --its yours.
      This Box by your f/door is just a jointing box, joining the external Cable coming in to your Premises and joining to the Internal Cable.They could do away with this Box and replace Free of charge, with a Master Socket or leave this Box and put Master Socket at the next given Socket Point--without charge.If Line Only Bt only maintain to the first given Master Socket---ideally to nearest point of the incoming External Cable .Somewhere in your house, you must have the Old type Master Socket-- this has a capacitor in it and NO TEST POINT, so the Bells ring on incoming Calls and also, so the Engineers in the Exch, can detect this Capacitor when Testing, telling them the Line is Testing OK.

Monkeh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMLON - Longton
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      People on here have talked about 165 charges for having a master socket fitted. Dunno if thats still the case.
      I have contacted BT about this as I have no NTE5 either. They have said it will cost me 116 to have it done. I know it isn't really allowed but I am thinking of getting one off Ebay for 5 and doing it myself. They are Openreach branded as well.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast