Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Can you Move the Master Socket and How Much

This is a discussion on Can you Move the Master Socket and How Much within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by unity You do not have the new nte5 master socket. So you are unable to disconnect your ...

jonathanen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Colindale
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub SR203 / 4.2
      Sky TV: Q 2TB & 4xMinis
      Thanks

Re: Can you Move the Master Socket and How Much

Quote Originally Posted by unity View Post
      You do not have the new nte5 master socket. So you are unable to disconnect your extentions (if any) from your master socket, because it is the old type socket.Openreach cannot charge you for this, but they will replace the old socket for a new NTE5. This will be negotiated as to where it goes by the engineer. I.e. what ever is best for them. A freindly welcome and a brew mighnt help in negotiating where the nte5 is situated.:-)
      I seriously doubt it!! They won't replace it for free!! I find out after calling BT last night around 21:58 to see how much they charge? Get ready for big and bad shocking news... ...Wait for it!!

116.32 for BT Engineer visit + 52 for new BT Standard NTE5 Master Socket. Coming up to a total of 168.32 for only getting BT Engineer to replace from my 35 years old non-NTE5 LJU2/2A PABX BT Master IDC socket since 1973 to new BT Standard NTE5 Master Socket with Engineer's Test Socket inside. That's a daylight robbery!! Adding 31.68 more to 168.32, and that's the total cost spend for my 2 months shopping. So far, I have set it up exactly the same as my Final ADSL Plan A
      Last edited by jonathanen; 29-01-08 at 11:20 PM.

2. Advertisement
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanen View Post
      116.32 for BT Engineer visit + 52 for new BT Standard NTE5 Master Socket.
      Ridiculous! Must be all of a five minute job to connect the two incoming wires to one of these which you can get for a fiver including postage!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
      Ridiculous! Must be all of a five minute job to connect the two incoming wires to one of these which you can get for a fiver including postage!
      I agree!! I'm better off to do it myself. After about a week of my research on the Internet, from what I saw, all I have to do is, change the two wires as follows:

non NTE5 socket New NTE5 socket
      White/Blue Pin 2 to Pin B
      Blue/White Pin 5 to Pin A

Is this correct? or am I wrong?

Which one is the best BT standard NTE5 socket to buy? BT logo or BT Openreach

Thanks

non NTE5 socket New NTE5 socket
      White/Blue Pin 2 to Pin B
      Blue/White Pin 5 to Pin A

Is this correct? or am I wrong?

Which one is the best BT standard NTE5 socket to buy?
      Not 100% sure but I think your existing socket is wired the wrong way round - although I don't think it matters. Blue with white stripe usually goes to 2 and should be wired to B. White with blue stripe usually goes to 5 and should be wired to A.

EDIT: Just looked at your photo and it looks as though it is right although too blurred to see the numbers!

If in doubt, see if you can find where the internal cable joins the cable from the exchange. The B wire (blue/white) should be connected to orange on the drop cable, and the A wire (white/blue) would normally be connected to white on the drop cable. There is a full guide in this article if you haven't already seen it.

As far as the NTE5 goes, the BT logo is old hat now so I would go for the Openreach socket but again it doesn't really matter.
      Last edited by eyemdee; 29-01-08 at 11:32 PM.

Misplaced is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Okay,

I have just tried linking my laptop upto my router with the Ethernet cable and there is no difference from linking wirelessly!!!!!!!

Any ideas why?

Is my line capped in some way?

Help, please i understand that from my stats I should get 14 - 16 mb i know this is probably not feasable but surely 10 - 14 mb is possible.

Misplaced

Thanks

^^^ No, I just looked back at your stats and your best connection speed posted is 6560 kbps with a noise margin of 7.3 db. This probably indicates that you have a very noisy line as with an attenuation of 32 db you should be able to connect at ~16 mbps if the line were clear of noise.

You really need to find a way of connecting the router directly to the telephone line with no extensions involved, to see if the noise margin and/or connection speed improves.

I think I would be looking to change that old junction box where your line comes in, to an NTE5 master socket from where you can then reconnect your extensions to the faceplate properly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
      Not 100% sure but I think your existing socket is wired the wrong way round - although I don't think it matters. Blue with white stripe usually goes to 2 and should be wired to B. White with blue stripe usually goes to 5 and should be wired to A.

EDIT: Just looked at your photo and it looks as though it is right although too blurred to see the numbers!

If in doubt, see if you can find where the internal cable joins the cable from the exchange. The B wire (blue/white) should be connected to orange on the drop cable, and the A wire (white/blue) would normally be connected to white on the drop cable. There is a full guide in this article if you haven't already seen it.

As far as the NTE5 goes, the BT logo is old hat now so I would go for the Openreach socket but again it doesn't really matter.

Oops!! I'm very sorry, you're right, I was typing so quick and I seen to put them in the wrong order.

From what I saw from my photo (when zoomed in on the master socket), the wiring from my non-NTE5 socket as follows:

White with small blue spot connects to Pin 5
      Blue with small White spot connects to Pin 2

I notice the IDC piece on the right for Pins 1 to 3 is out of place, its needs to pull it up a bit more to the top, but never mind, because this socket is very old, in fact its 35 years old!!

Basically, all I need to is pull out the existing 2 wires from non-NTE5 and transfer it to brand new Openreach NTE5 socket as follows:

Blue/White - Pin 2 from non-NTE5 socket = Pin B on new NTE5
      White/Blue - Pin 5 from non-NTE5 socket = Pin A on new NTE5

I have 3 x plug-in extensions for my house phones & Sky digiboxes, shall I cut the adaptor and wired into the faceplate? or shall I just plug them in like I did before as shown in my Final ADSL Plan

Oh, yeah, one more thing, is how do I remove the existing wires using IDC tool? I'm worried that I might cut them off using that IDC tool?
      Last edited by jonathanen; 30-01-08 at 09:11 PM.

Thanks

Blue/White - Pin 2 from non-NTE5 socket = Pin B on new NTE5
      White/Blue - Pin 5 from non-NTE5 socket = Pin A on new NTE5

Oh, yeah, one more thing, is how do I remove the existing wires using IDC tool? I'm worried that I might cut them off using that IDC tool?
      Yes, this wiring is correct. You don't need the IDC tool to remove the wires, just pull them out. I think the Openreach socket has screw terminals for A & B so just remove a little insulation and push the bare wires around or under the screw terminals.

Personally I would connect the extension wiring to the back of the faceplate using the IDC tool to push the wires into place rather than using dodgy plug in connectors.

Misplaced is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I think I would be looking to change that old junction box where your line comes in, to an NTE5 master socket from where you can then reconnect your extensions to the faceplate properly.
      By old juction box I take it you mean the small white/ivory oval box near my front door? If so what would i expect to find inside the box wiring wise?

If I decided to replace it - is this the box only BT should touch? If i did decide to do it myself would the Open reach box be the one to get?

I take it I would just run any extension lines from the new openreach box?

Sorry for all the questions.

I will also try, again, my router plugged into my 'old' style master socket and connect up for a few hours rebooting it when the noise start to drop. I will also connect my laptop via ethernet when the router is plugged in to see what kind of difference i get, if any.

Thanks for all the help so far and sorry for all the questions.

Mis

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Misplaced View Post
      By old juction box I take it you mean the small white/ivory oval box near my front door? If so what would i expect to find inside the box wiring wise?
      I am guessing that there will be at least 2 wires coming from outside connected to two wires running to your master socket.

If I decided to replace it - is this the box only BT should touch? If i did decide to do it myself would the Open reach box be the one to get?

I take it I would just run any extension lines from the new openreach box?
      Yes, yes and yes.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456