Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can I get a faster speed?

This is a discussion on Can I get a faster speed? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, New user here so please be gentle Went active on Sky Max on Monday after moving home just before ...

Monkeh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMLON - Longton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can I get a faster speed?

Hello,

New user here so please be gentle

Went active on Sky Max on Monday after moving home just before Christmas but I am a bit disappointed with my speeds. I thought I would be able to get higher than this. The screeny here was taken on Tuesday but I turned the router off last night and when I turned it back on this morning I had synched at 5100. SNR was the same as on the screenshot

The SNR seems to fluctuate between 6.8 and 7.8. This concerns me as, unless I am misunderstanding, a low SNR indicates a noisy line? I have tried the quiet line test and I can't hear any fizzing/crackling/popping etc. so the line would appear to not be noisy. I am 2km from the Exchange (as the crow flies) which will explain the attenuation figure.

Now, I can't test in the test socket as I don't have one. I have got the old type oval junction box which the previous owner ran an ordinary extension box off. I have replaced this as I wanted to use a filtered faceplate so I am using one similar to this ADSL Nation - XTF-68/85 - Pre-filtered Telephone Socket

I am using the Sagem router and, if I am honest, would love to be able to stick on my Billion 6402VGL to see what I get then but I obviously can't.

I was on UKOnline's 22meg package at my old house so the drop in speed is taking some getting used to. I lived a lot closer to the exchange there but had a far noisier line (could always hear crackling) but always managed to get 16 - 22meg. I thought I would have been able to get 10meg at least at my new house.

Any help/advice on if I can improve speeds and how to do it?

Thanks for any help given

Edit

I should also add (but don't know if it makes a difference) that it is a brand new phone number I am using. Only reason I mention that is that when I ordered Max the Sky sales rep told me that BT's system indicated that my line could only sustain 512kbps. The online checkers I have used indicate the line is capable of 0MB to 1MB.
      Last edited by Monkeh; 11-01-08 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Added

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Can I get a faster speed?

You could move back to your old house again, being further away from the exchange will cause a drop in speed.
      Edit: Was kidding by the way.
      Last edited by PaulSky; 11-01-08 at 04:26 PM.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeh View Post

The SNR seems to fluctuate between 6.8 and 7.8. This concerns me as, unless I am misunderstanding, a low SNR indicates a noisy line?
      Yes you are misunderstanding.

You may find that a read through of the first link in my signature at the bottom of this post helps your understanding.

In relation to your speed query, your router sync is a little low for your attenuation. Improving your home wiring may well give you an increase but only to ~6250kbps would be achievable as ADSL is primarily limited by line length (attenuation).

Monkeh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMLON - Longton
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      You could move back to your old house again,
      Funny you should say that. I mentioned this to the wife at the weekend - she wasn't impressed

Thanks for the advice Saturday. I have read through the article you linked to and it makes much more sense now

I did email BT about having an NTE5 master socket put in but they want to charge me 116 so I am not doing that. I know it is naughty but I might get one off EBay and do it myself.