Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Loses of connection, often

This is a discussion on Loses of connection, often within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Following on from my wiring thread - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabli...-wire-all.html I've decided against the BT option, and now completely changed the faceplate ...

greencreeper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Loses of connection, often

Following on from my wiring thread - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabli...-wire-all.html

I've decided against the BT option, and now completely changed the faceplate for another, different make of faceplate, and changed the 3-pair telephone cabling for proper Cat 5e cabling. Also no longer a phone in the attic, so just an ADSL extension. No real improvement. Finished the work at about 18:00 this evening - dropped connection at about 23:20. Rx SNR is still low, and there are still loses of connection. It varies from 4db to 10db - average is about 5db to 6db. Around four losses of connection a day. I have Mossywell's Bounce program running.

It seemed alright on the base package - I kept switching between Sky and cable, comparing the two. I didn't notice any loses of connection, BUT I wasn't running Mossywell or RouterStats, so may not have noticed. I upped it to the mid package. I didn't really want a battle with a call centre to get a working connection, and may well end up with base speed for mid money. Beginning to reconsider the wisdom of switching from cable to ASDL - was hoping to save money, but it's looking like I'm just going to get a worse service.

Downstream
      4768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 50.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.7 db

Upstream
      Connection Speed 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 13.0 db
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Loses of connection, often-rx_noise_margin_-db-2008jan06-0036.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Loses of connection, often

We still get occasional LOS here, our SNR is significantly higher than yours so it may not be that there is a problem on your line it may be something happening in the area.
      If you have got your internal line as good as it can be then you may need to cal Sky (do it in the evening after 1830 if possible as there are quite a few good people on) and ask to be troubleshot for speed and config/ slow or intermittant connection.
      What faceplate did you fit and is it just an ethernet you are running up to the PC?
      Do you know what speed you were told your line could handle when you ordered?

greencreeper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Supposedly a BT faceplate - I used the same faceplate and kit for my parents, and doubled their speed. The kit came with a pre-attached RJ45 plug, with just the two wires connected, so it's an ADSL extension. It's probably about 20m from master socket to the attic. I'm thinking of changing it to an Ethernet extension and moving the modem - more expense though (crimper, plugs, socket).

Maximum line speed was quoted at 5Mbps - I don't live that far from the exchange. I pass close to it on a morning, as I walk to work (probably 2-3 miles away).

I'll try Sky on an evening. I get home about 22:30 - are they open then?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

24/7, 365
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket