Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Erratic Download Speeds!

This is a discussion on Erratic Download Speeds! within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; For the last week i've been experiencing really erratic and poor download speeds, the past few days i've had no ...

D_TOX is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Erratic Download Speeds!

For the last week i've been experiencing really erratic and poor download speeds, the past few days i've had no internet at all.

I'm not the account holder, and i don't know much about my ISP and exchange and all that, but i know when somethings wrong and my old man doesn't seem too bothered. Anyway, i'm in Worthing, West Sussex, and we recently phoned up Sky who told us they're replacing a few lines which may cause our internet to come on and off over a few days. It does seem to be back up now for good, however, the actual download speeds are so erratic it's getting very annoying.

I'm downloading one game-client file from Fileplanet (Which i'm subscribed to for faster speeds). Normally, i'd get around 369Kbps average, it would barely move. Now, i seem to be getting anything between 120kbps to 480Kbps, this goes up and down constantly within a matter of seconds!

I've also noticed ever since moving over to this ISP that my online pings during games is a lot higher than it was on NTL, which is probably down to the fact that with NTL it was DSL and now it's ADSL. I also read this so that probably has something to do with it.

Anyway, do you guys think these erratic (And a lot of the time very poor) download speeds has something to do with their recent 'maintenance', or is something else causing the problem? Have we been capped or something? Sorry im not too knowledgeable of all this, so treat me like a simpleton.

Thanks a lot.

2. Advertisement
      kosh2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Taunton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Erratic Download Speeds!

I am having similar problems over the last week. Uisenet and p2p is grinding to a halt. I use grabbit and I can see it dowsnloading for a while then stops for ages. p2p seems to upload fine but downloads real slow. Strangely www is usual speed. I am wondering if Sky are throttling ports?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Erratic Download Speeds!

as said a MILLION times before - SKY DO NOT BLOCK/THROTTLE ANYTHING ON THEIR SERVICE!!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket