Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Am I capped?

This is a discussion on Am I capped? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; just to let you know - Sky multiroom has to be connected all the time - you'll get letters from ...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Am I capped?

just to let you know - Sky multiroom has to be connected all the time - you'll get letters from sky telling you to plug it back in otherwise....have you tried the router in the master/test socket as you should get a better sync speed...

and also, every socket in the house in use needs a filter - regardless of what plugged it
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      Viffer8 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01895
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      just to let you know - Sky multiroom has to be connected all the time - you'll get letters from sky telling you to plug it back in otherwise
      I know thanks. The connections on the extension into which the 2nd box is connected look a bit ropey. Am going to fix those and will deal with Sky if I get a letter from them in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      have you tried the router in the master/test socket as you should get a better sync speed...
      See my original post. There is no test socket in the main BT box where the cable enter the house......but...... I plugged the router into that socket and run an ethernet cable from there to the PC to by-pass the extensions and take them out of the equation. Despite that the connections on the extensions were impacting upon the speed. When I unplugged the one that is used for nothing other than the Sky box the speed went up to 6.7Mb from 4.2Mb on one of the speed tester sites.

I therefore have to sort that extension

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

^^^ You do or did have an ADSL filter in that extension? If not then that would explain the speed differential. Plugging anything into the line without a filter will dramatically reduce the router connection speed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
      ^^^ You do or did have an ADSL filter in that extension? If not then that would explain the speed differential. Plugging anything into the line without a filter will dramatically reduce the router connection speed.
      Hope this makes sense

I originally had a doubler in the socket. From there I had a cable going to the Sky box with no filter. The other cable to the PC did have a filter.

I took the doubler and Sky cable out leaving only the PC cable with the filter. The speed immediately went up to 6.9Mb

I put the doubler back in with filters on both lines and the speed went back down again.

I therefore concluded that it must be the cables and/or connections to the Sky box (with/without a filter) where my problem lies

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Viffer8 View Post
      Hope this makes sense

I originally had a doubler in the socket. From there I had a cable going to the Sky box with no filter. The other cable to the PC did have a filter.
      The unfiltered Sky box was the problem then! If you put an ADSL filter between the Sky box and the line/extension then you should be OK. I would think your router stats are now showing an 8096kbps connection speed now?

Thanks

The unfiltered Sky box was the problem then! If you put an ADSL filter between the Sky box and the line/extension then you should be OK. I would think your router stats are now showing an 8096kbps connection speed now?
      As I said in the 2nd last paragraph in my previous post I tried a filter between the socket and Sky box but it didn't help.

I have looked a bit more closely and I think it is the poor quality of connectors at either end of the cable the Sky enginer made up when he put my original box in the bedroom when I got Sky+/multiroom. He added the connectors at the end of a cut-to-length cable

I'll buy a good quality factory made extension cable and try again

Thank you again for all your help and advice on this. I really do appreciate it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Viffer8 View Post
      I'll buy a good quality factory made extension cable and try again
      The problem with these is that they usually have the ring wire connected in the moulded plug so you will not be able to disable it - and this may the source of the noise, particularly if it is long.

The Sky engineer may have wired the ring wire in his made up lead, in which case you can solve the problem by opening up the plug and pulling off the orange/white wire! The plugs they use can usually be unclipped to open if you can spot the clips.

Just an idea!

Thanks

The problem with these is that they usually have the ring wire connected in the moulded plug so you will not be able to disable it - and this may the source of the noise, particularly if it is long.

The Sky engineer may have wired the ring wire in his made up lead, in which case you can solve the problem by opening up the plug and pulling off the orange/white wire! The plugs they use can usually be unclipped to open if you can spot the clips.

Just an idea!

Good thinking Batman

I'll give that a go before I fork out for a new lead

Cheers

EDIT:- The ring wires were not connected at either end. I guess it could be a bad connection at either/both ends of the wires that should be connected
      Last edited by Viffer8; 09-12-07 at 09:29 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123