Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Changing maxdelays

This is a discussion on Changing maxdelays within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, im using the base broadband package mainly for gaming and browsing, my ping in games is really bad ...

Matty07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Changing maxdelays

Hi all, im using the base broadband package mainly for gaming and browsing, my ping in games is really bad and i've heard that the maxdelays is set a 32 when it should be set at 8 for gamers, my question is what do i have to do to change it?- i've phoned the bb helpdesk but they didn't have a clue what i was on about.

Cheers very, very much for any help

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Changing maxdelays

Quote Originally Posted by Matty07 View Post
      Hi all, im using the base broadband package mainly for gaming and browsing, my ping in games is really bad and i've heard that the maxdelays is set a 32 when it should be set at 8 for gamers, my question is what do i have to do to change it?- i've phoned the bb helpdesk but they didn't have a clue what i was on about.

Cheers very, very much for any help
      By far the easiest way is to go to the sky protal and in the customer support section send an e-mail asking for the delays to be changed as you are an avid gamer and you want the best pings you can get.

May take 3-5 days but it is pretty hassle free and worked ok for me (apart from them capping my line for no good reason).

You might want to ask them not to reduce the line speed when hey alter the max delay just to be sure.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

the cap is to make sure the line stays stable as reducing the delays can make lines unstable - so well within Sky's right to do it as you'd otherwise kick off the line is not working!!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      the cap is to make sure the line stays stable as reducing the delays can make lines unstable - so well within Sky's right to do it as you'd otherwise kick off the line is not working!!!
      I realise that and would be happy to have my speed capped if it needed it. My line is and has always been very stable with no errors even at 16Mb, the cap was not needed and was put on without any real requirement.

My stats are stll good now the cap has been removed with no line errors so that must prove my point.

My advice would be, if you think your line is good and you have no errors on it then ask T3 not to put a cap on, If a problem arises due to the max delays being reduced you could always contact them again and either get a cap or get the delays increased again whatever is best for you.

That seems logical doesn't it?

On the otherhand, if you are seeing errors on your line with the current max delay settings you should be aware that these will increase and a cap will most likly be required, in this instance you should weigh up your options before getting them reduced.
      Last edited by Smithy99; 03-12-07 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Added final paragraph

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

whatever you think, tier 3/CST's logic is sound - knowing full well most lines dont handle the reduction of delays well its better to cap them until proven to be ok (in your case) rather than cause people a lot more hassle then needed

agreed though about checking the line before requesting it - makes sense
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

slinky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRCHE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

well after I had my max delays reduced it caused no end of problems. I asked for the settings to be returned to normal and I ended up being put on GMDT, GDMT which ever normal adsl is.
      I gave up after that since I never had any feedback to tell me changes were made.
      And that was after having a perfectly stable line that was just a bit high latency for games.