Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I need some help with my extension wiring

This is a discussion on I need some help with my extension wiring within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy personally (and i just say this from my own experience) i'd have the router in the ...

terrorvis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Draytek 2830n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: I need some help with my extension wiring

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      personally (and i just say this from my own experience) i'd have the router in the master via a filter and run ethernet cable to the PC - what you then plug into the phone side of the filter won't matter as they'd have no affect on the BB signal...
      I agree, however jonathanen doesn't have a master socket which can take a XTE-2005 (refering to his pics). My posts did make it fairly clear that all the extension wiring would effect the broadband sync.

Cat5 is sadly that bit wider, and usually that bit greyer than phone extension cable. Many people who allow a phone extension wire clipped to the staircase would not allow cat5. Also jonathanen had already ordered an rj11 extension, so it seems pointless to suggest an alternative at that point.

2. Advertisement
      jonathanen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Colindale
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub SR203 / 4.2
      Sky TV: Q 2TB & 4xMinis
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by terrorvis View Post
      I agree, however jonathanen doesn't have a master socket which can take a XTE-2005 (refering to his pics). My posts did make it fairly clear that all the extension wiring would effect the broadband sync.

Cat5 is sadly that bit wider, and usually that bit greyer than phone extension cable. Many people who allow a phone extension wire clipped to the staircase would not allow cat5. Also jonathanen had already ordered an rj11 extension, so it seems pointless to suggest an alternative at that point.
      Ha, ha!! Laughs... Whistles.... You're both wrong!! Excellent news so far!! My ADSL HIGH SPEED BROADBAND EXTENSION CABLE 20m RJ11 from ebay come this morning around 11:25am, finally!!

I set it up exactly the same as my Final ADSL Plan A. Then I switched on the Netgear router, waiting for the Internet light to come on, then I switched on my PC, it started up my PC bit faster this time, then my stats come up as 15323kbps with 9.8db Noise Margin. So while the internet is on, I started to make some calls on both the Binatone corded phone & BT Freelance XA500 cordless phones to check that it will cause intererence, making the noise level to reduce. Fortunately, it doesn't move at all, still the same. Goes the same with the living room, I tried the exact same testing stages as I did before in my bedroom, still the same 9.8db Noise Margin.

Since I got carried away, I decided to do another test, but I went bit to far, this time, downloading WinDVD8.exe file from this forum, while I was checking Sky August 2007 bill from Sky+ box Interactive screen all at the same time. I can't believe my luck, I still getting the highest 15323 kbps with 9.8db Noise Margin, not reducing one little bit at all and I was getting 649 KB/sec as well while I was downlading WinDVD8.exe file. Oh, man, this high cable is the best solution to my problems so far so good.

I can't help it, I'm very, very happy, and here's why! Check out my updated stats from this morning after conencting Sky Netgear router with my new high speed 20m (65.5 feet) extenstion cable:

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 764 Kbps, Downstream rate = 15323 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 9.8 13.0
      Attn(dB): 31.0 18.7
      Pwr(dBm): 1.3 12.4
      Max(Kbps): 16524 864
      Rate (Kbps): 15323 764
      G.dmt framing
      K: 239(0) 24
      R: 16 16
      S: 1 8
      D: 64 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 59 68
      B: 238 23
      M: 1 8
      T: 2 1
      R: 16 16
      S: 0.4980 7.7037
      L: 4096 216
      D: 64 8
      Counters
      SF: 103274 103272
      SFErr: 95 1
      RS: 13425664 877812
      RSCorr: 10488 0
      RSUnCorr: 4601 0

HEC: 94 0
      OCD: 3 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 60422252 2999583
      Data Cells: 2916552 131278
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 9 1
      SES: 4 0
      UAS: 14 16
      Total time = 28 min 11 sec
      SF = 103274
      CRC = 95
      LOS = 8
      LOF = 0
      ES = 9
      Latest 1 day time = 28 min 11 sec
      SF = 103274
      CRC = 95
      LOS = 8
      LOF = 0
      ES = 9
      Latest 15 minutes time = 13 min 11 sec
      SF = 48920
      CRC = 59
      LOS = 7
      LOF = 0
      ES = 5
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 54354
      CRC = 36
      LOS = 1
      LOF = 0
      ES = 4
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0

And one more thing, I don't need to buy XTE face plate, I just leave my old fashion pre-NTE5 1973 LJU2/2A PABX BT Master IDC socket (with a capacitor, but no resistor or surge arrestor and the following Dimensions: 68 mm x 68 mm x 25 mm) as it is, anyway, it has fitted from 1973 when my parents moved into this big and old victorian style house and called the BT Engineer to install the BT phone line, lucky, the BT Engineer done the modern style wiring which is only 2 & 5 wires connected, and leave the rest of the wires disconnected. That time, I wasn't even born in this country until 1980, and now both my parents and myself are very happy, fully of excitment, as no more headaches, or wasting more money calling BT Engineer to come and charging 65 + VAT for only changing the wires around for the Sky Broadband to work on the same BT phone line.

All I need to do now is..... call Sky Broadband to improve my download speed more than 15323kbps to at least 16524 kbps - 16.5MB!!! Oh, yeah and to leave positive feedback to: sigma6uk, of course.

Thanks for your help anyways, I just realised, if you got very easy set up plan and you're using the cheap flat wire that came with Sky Broadband package, using less extensions or no extensions without microfilters, then you can buy the XTE face plate. But if you got more complicated plan like mine, needing quite a lot of long extensions in the house with old fasion face plate, but not sure what to do and your router is very long away from the BT Master socket like me, then all you have to do is buy high speed ADSL extenstion cable from ebay, but don't buy from high street stores such as Maplins. The price they charging are very expensive such as check this and this to prove my point. Now, I got all 3 PCs & 2 laptops connected to the internet, while my parents using the phone at the same time without causing intererence at all.
      Last edited by jonathanen; 22-01-08 at 01:07 PM.

terrorvis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Draytek 2830n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Pleased to hear you have it all running as you hoped.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by terrorvis View Post
      Pleased to hear you have it all running as you hoped.
      I'm enjoying myself like mad, I'm getting more and more carried away, I decide to downloading WinDVD8.exe file one more time. Oh, my god, its even more better!! And this time, its 1675 KB/sec!! I never see this before in my life!! What a fantastic result!!
      Last edited by jonathanen; 12-11-07 at 02:05 PM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

just hope it stays good - at least you know if it goes wrong the extension is to blame!!

i still think you've taken the quick way out of the situation and some investment would be worthwhile but glad its working...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      just hope it stays good - at least you know if it goes wrong the extension is to blame!!

i still think you've taken the quick way out of the situation and some investment would be worthwhile but glad its working...
      I finally finished sorting out the wiring from old fashion (LJU1/1A or LJU2/1A) pre-NTE5 1973 PBX BT master socket physically fitted with Commtel Internet and Phone Guard to Sky Netgear router in my bedroom, making it nice and tidy, using cable clips and hiding some of the wires underneath the carpet, so that my bedroom door can shut, keeping my bedroom nice and warm without any draught coming through.

So far, so good!! My cable sorting out method doesn't affect with my broadband connection, still 15323kbps with 9.8db Noise Margain, even when using the phone or Sky box Interactive screen at the same while the Internet is still on. Switch everything off including PC, Sky router and 8-port hub when I go to bed or not using the PC for internet to save the electricity and switch them on when I'm going to the PC for internet, and the results still exactly the same every time except the Max Rate but it don't matter. No drop outs or disconnections, nothing! Excellent news so far, nice and stable connection!!

Even with my Sony PS2 online gaming works perfectly with Sky Broadband so far as well and the same goes with the free (GPRS) WAP browsing on my Nokia N-Gage phones, sharing with my PC's Sky broadband connection via Bluetooth connection. All thanks to this ADSL HIGH SPEED BROADBAND EXTENSION CABLE 20m RJ11, I should bought two of them and keep one as spare, just in case. I noticed that everything has completely changed. Funny that, I still have 2 spare microfilters & three way phone splitter, I may as well keep them as a souviour. Lovely and sweet... Lovely and stable connection.... Lovely and upto 16MB Broadband....
      Last edited by jonathanen; 22-01-08 at 12:14 PM.

lordmuggins is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NINY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Interesting carpet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12