Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Possible the lowest MAX at 2.9MB

This is a discussion on Possible the lowest MAX at 2.9MB within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ok thats fine im glad of the help and im learning lots so i have connected my PC to router ...

chris76leeds is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Possible the lowest MAX at 2.9MB

ok thats fine im glad of the help and im learning lots

so i have connected my PC to router via ethernet cable so there is no interferace with wireless.

1) i am plugged into the test box and my starts are
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 6.9 12.5
      Attn(dB): 46.5 27.6
      Pwr(dBm): 0.0 12.4
      Max(Kbps): 5440 864
      Rate (Kbps): 5326 764

2) i am plugged into the master box (i.e same box but with faceplate on) - no extension cable and my stats are

Down Up
      SNR (dB): 7.0 11.5
      Attn(dB): 46.5 27.7
      Pwr(dBm): 0.2 12.4
      Max(Kbps): 5412 864
      Rate (Kbps): 5280 764

/i've rebooted several times and been workign on it on and off all day, ive noticed that there is hardly any change in the Attn (which is expected if that is mostly based on distance of cabling) the SNR really doesnt shift much when using test socket or master socket (however during quite time during day it can get as high as 7.5 which is good, but busy times it seems to be 6.9 approx. which is what it sound be)

overall it now seems to connect around the 5.4M-5.9M MAX - i note it yr stats explained post with my attn you predict a possible connection speed on 8.5MB so perhaps me topping at 6MB is pretty good now?

one last thing i notice that during day the Pwr can be as high as 19 - but at night it can be as low as 1 - is this just the combination of SNR and attn?

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Damm, i have the curse of no internet today, works has been offline since 11am, and when i get home can only get on for a couple of mins at a time

Anyway, back to the stats, there is no real diff from socket to test socket so no problems with the wiring. previously you changed yourself from ADSL2+ to G.dmt
      SNR (dB): 7.3 13.0
      Attn(dB): 43.0 28.5
      Pwr(dBm): 19.7 9.9
      Max(Kbps): 7552 1184
      Rate (Kbps): 6944 768
      because g.dmt is a more stable product your Attn was 43 and gave you a better sync speed.
      if you change to g.dmt again and see how it acts for a day or 2, if all is good it may be worth getting sky to do this at there end (whith the utility you use to change between G.dmt & ADSL2+ all changes revert back when router is rebooted, when sky make the change it would be perm)
      Last edited by richone54; 07-11-07 at 08:47 PM.

chris76leeds is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

spoke with tier 3 last night and they have switched me to g.dmt which seems to have improved my stability and speed (last night). They have also capped me at 6MB because they said that the massive gap between 6 and 16 was causing errors to build up and clog the line? or cause lots of errors or something? was going well last night and worked well - until this morning when i logged on and only got 2.9MB so I'm back on the phone to them now - I'm going to log as many calls as I can because I am getting increasingly more frustrated and to the point of feeling that I have been mis-sold to. I wasnt expecting 16mb but i was expected what they said which was 6-7mb. of course i am now outside of the 8 day cooling off period so its going to be near impossible to get out of the contract - their should be consumer law against braodband providers! for mis-selling!

as an aside i got a call from virgin media last nite who are now willing to give me a 4MB connection unlimited; plus phone; plus medium TV package for 19 per month permanently ! I took them up on the offer and will be doing my upmost to get out of the sky contract because i feel their service is not as advertised and not fit for use. any way this is this morning stats

Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 9.4 14.0
      Attn(dB): 43.0 28.5
      Pwr(dBm): 19.4 10.5
      Max(Kbps): 4096 1152
      Rate (Kbps): 3776 768
      but speed test only comes out at 2.9MB

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

as for not as advertised - it is as it's an UP TO 16MB service -anything from 512kb to 16MB falls into this....as for not fit for purpose, if ur line can't handle the speed due to quality of line then thats BTs fault not Sky's...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

as an aside i got a call from virgin media last nite who are now willing to give me a 4MB connection unlimited; plus phone; plus medium TV package for 19 per month permanently ! I took them up on the offer and will be doing my upmost to get out of the sky contract because i feel their service is not as advertised and not fit for use. any way this is this morning stats

i bet this is upto !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12