Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

29 Attenuation = 3mbps..line problems

This is a discussion on 29 Attenuation = 3mbps..line problems within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Stats: Connection Speed - 3680 kbps 416 kbps Line Attenuation - 29.0 db 18.0 db Noise Margin - 7.5 ...

Baity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01895
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

29 Attenuation = 3mbps..line problems

Hi,

Stats:
      Connection Speed - 3680 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation - 29.0 db 18.0 db
      Noise Margin - 7.5 db 14.0 db

Posted the stats above in another part of the forum and it was suggested that my sync speed could be alot better based on my Attenuation. I was advised to sort out my line problems but don't quite know what that means, unless the answer just to phone BT and say my line is noisy?

I already tried the following after reading other posts in the forum.

- I reset my router a several times at different times of the evening and morning, but sync is always the same.

- Removed the front cover on my main socket and plugged the filter directly into the master socket. Sync speed and Noise Margin stayed the same after reboot.

Incase its important

- My noise margin fluctuates between 7.5db and 24db, although it only stays on 24 for a short time (30 seconds or so) before returning to 7 or dropping and reconnecting.

- Had constant drop outs last night, the connection would not hold for more that 30 seconds before dropping.

- When connection stayed finally after 2 hours it has been on continuously for 15 hours.

- I was only activated yesterday afternoon and did have 8036 sync for the first 3 hours.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: 29 Attenuation = 3mbps..line problems

You'll find all the info you need to diagnose and fix line problems in the cabling and faceplate help forum.

What you need to do first is determine whether the noise is arising from your home phone wiring or the BT line, or both. Home wiring problems are by far the most common - that includes your phone, digibox, filters and cables.. There's a big problem somewhere if your noise margin varies by the amount you say.

You've started already by trying your test socket (or at least I assume that's what you meant ref unscrewing the faceplate). You're looking for one of two things to change: either the sync speed or the noise margin. If the sync stays the same but noise margin rises that just means you're capped (probably). Either improving points to a home wiring problem. Neither improving points to a BT line problem.

What you now need to do is run a comparison between your normal connection and your test socket (not master). Do them within a couple of minutes of each other to avoid the effects of normal noise margin changes. When connected to the master socket you must only have a microfilter plugged in (no phone/splitter etc) and use the supplied router cable, no extension. Also try another microfilter to see if the results are the same. Post your stats - the simple ones from the router admin pages are fine at this point.
      Last edited by Saturday; 04-10-07 at 08:35 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the prompt response Saturday.

Did as you suggested and the results are below

11pm with face plate microfilter and adsl line only (nothing else plugged in)

Connection Speed 3904 kbps416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 15.5 db 18.0 db
      Noise Margin 22.5 db 13.0 db

Approx 30 seconds later

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3904 kbps 416 kbps
      Noise Margin 3.2 db 13.0 db

5 seconds later connection dropped

11:02pm - Test socket microfilter only as before

Connection Speed 3904 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.0 db 18.0 db
      Noise Margin 23.3 db 14.0 db

Connection dropped 30 seconds later after sudden drop in noise margin (didn't catch it with cut and past this time but about 3db again).

Reconnected automatically (full speed)
      Connection Speed 8096 kbps 416 kbps
      Noise Margin 9.1 db 14.0 db

Connection dropped after 30 seconds

11:05 Reconnected Face plate again connected at full speed

Connection Speed 8096 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.0 db 18.0 db
      Noise Margin 9.9 db 13.0 db

Again lost connectivity after about 30 seconds.

Connection Speed 3840 kbps 416 kbps
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 14.0 db

Finally got these stats (I know about the 15.5 thing) and this does not drop and should remain on for a good number of hours based in yesterdays experience.

I have tried changing the microfilter yesterday and still sync'd at 3600 - 3900.

As the variations in sync speed and noise margin change in the same way with the test socket and the master, does this suggest it's the BT line? or am i jumping the gun to assume this on only the basic stats

Thanks.

jdsimp1234 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWBNP - Bridgend .South Wales
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

well obviously the faceplate is lieing when you got it connected, then it disconnects, and then tells the correct attenuation. How far away are you actually from your local exchange?

It sounds like faulty faceplate, but unless you cant make phone calls in or out with it connected, bt won't look at your line. You need a broadband engineer really.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Baity View Post
      does this suggest it's the BT line?
      Yes it does but it could also be a faulty router or a problem at the exchange.

Are you concious of any impact to your voice calls i.e. hissing, crackling, clicking?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks again Saturday, noticed alot of people asking you for advice here and there on the forum, good of you to give up your time like this (especiallly for similar questions).

I called my mobile phone and then listed to the line from the land line end and there is some slight hissing which would probably not be noticed if someone were talking, so not sure about this.

Had a look around the forum and noticed that on the detailed stats there is something called Line status within them, so may give this a try and check the result (I can post these if its helpful)

Edit...just gone to BT and performed an online fault checker, it appears a fault has been logged and it still open for my phone number (although not by me, will call tomorrow and check this out as it may explain alot).
      Last edited by Baity; 05-10-07 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Update