Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Line Attenuation poor?

This is a discussion on Line Attenuation poor? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi hope Iíve placed this post in relevant section? I've recently moved house and have taken my broadband with sky. ...

richypat07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Line Attenuation poor?

Hi hope Iíve placed this post in relevant section? I've recently moved house and have taken my broadband with sky. I've recently had a lot of noise on my phone line and have just had a BT engineer out who has replaced the box and filter. Unfortunately the noise returned minutes after he left!

I've looked at my router page and have the following results below, please note my connection speed always varied between 1200kbps and 4672kbps so i presume i have an unstable line? Considering i only live 720 metres from my exchange (as the crow flies) my attenuation seems bad???

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4672 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 57.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 12.0 db

Please let me know your thoughts before i ring sky!

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: Line Attenuation poor?

Sounds as if there is something wrong with the line, did the BT man test it with a TDR?(time domain reflectometer)
      I'd get BT back out as they clearly haven't fixed it.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You may only be 750m as the crow flies but your attenuation suggests a line length of over 4km. If your line is shorter than that then it must have horrendous problems. If it is that bad I'm amazed you have an ADSL connection at all.

Your connection speed (router sync) will vary from boot to boot depending on the noise level present on your line at the time. Please see the first sticky in my signature.

What is it you intend to call Sky about? The simple stats you posted look absolutely fine.
      Last edited by Saturday; 24-09-07 at 12:53 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      You may only be 750m as the crow flies but your attenuation suggests a line length of over 4km. If your line is shorter than that then it must have horrendous problems. If it is that bad I'm amazed you have an ADSL connection at all.

Your connection speed (router sync) will vary from boot to boot depending on the noise level present on your line at the time. Please see the first sticky in my signature.

What is it you intend to call Sky about? The simple stats you posted look absolutely fine.
      Well i understand that my line could be a long run but surely not 4km?? If its a poor line then do i have the right to get sky/bt to change it? Am i being realistic? Using the house phone at mo is unbearable the noise is that bad Ė so theyíll be coming back to fix it.
      Cheers

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penrhyn View Post
      Sounds as if there is something wrong with the line, did the BT man test it with a TDR?(time domain reflectometer)
      I'd get BT back out as they clearly haven't fixed it.
      Not sure about time domain reflectometer??

he changed my master socket for one with a built in filter??

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richypat07 View Post
      Using the house phone at mo is unbearable the noise is that bad – so they’ll be coming back to fix it.
      Make sure it's a problem with the phone line and not a faulty filter/faceplate (or router) letting the router "break through" otherwise BT may charge you.

I doubt this is what's happening though but to check, disconnect the router and see if the noise disappears. Also, have you another phone - faulty/noisy phones are not unknown.

I'll be interested to see the outcome of your attenuation/noise issue. If it turns out to be just a noisy line then the router is doing an amazing job to get and hold an ADSL connection.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Also, have you another phone - faulty/noisy phones are not unknown.
      Yep, before BT will come out they ask that you disconnect all phone/modem equipment, take the faceplate off the master BT socket and plug a filter in the test socket and then plug in a WIRED phone (NOT WIRELESS). If there is still noise then BT will come out (do a quiet line test Dial 17070, press option 2. If you don't do the above, then BT will charge you if they find out that it was problems with your other equipment that was introducing the noise.

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

It just that unless the BT engineer did any testing on the line he's just guessing at what might be causing the fault, the TDR can indicate whereabouts down your line that the problem exists. Something like this.

http://www.instruments4hire.co.uk/BICOTEST-T625-TDR.pdf

This may have been mentioned but have you tried connecting to the master test socket.

tequilacrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haslington / Crewe
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      Yep, before BT will come out they ask that you disconnect all phone/modem equipment, take the faceplate off the master BT socket and plug a filter in the test socket and then plug in a WIRED phone (NOT WIRELESS). If there is still noise then BT will come out (do a quiet line test Dial 17070, press option 2. If you don't do the above, then BT will charge you if they find out that it was problems with your other equipment that was introducing the noise.
      I too have this problem. I have had the engineer out on countless occasions (the last time he even replaced the line into my house).

*Everytime* someone visits, the noise disappears, and reappears after the visit. The noise on my voice line is unbearable at times, and my internet connection can be (obviously) very flaky. Despite this, when BT visit, they only do the quiet line tests without the router connected (and they don't want to know about the router at all). Without the router switched on, my line is as quiet as anything. But as soon as my router is switched on and has synced up, the noise appears, and unless I use Mossywell's utility, my connection can be very unstable. My router and phone are plugged into the test socket. I even unplugged my phone for a couple of days to confirm that it wasn't my cordless phone that was interfering with anything.

I've tested my router during the rare occasions when my line is actually quiet, and I do amazingly get my full 8 meg download speed!

It's not the Sky router's fault though, because this is my second replacement router, and I also had this issue with my old ISP (which used a USB modem). My noise happens when the internet is synced up to the router.

BT tried (and I successfully appealed) to charge me for my second to last engineer visit when I raised this issue. I'm at my wits ends about this.

Can anybody suggest anything else at all that I can do? I can't risk getting charged £100 by BT if they claim not to find anything!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tequilacrush View Post
      Without the router switched on, my line is as quiet as anything. But as soon as my router is switched on and has synced up, the noise appears
      Sounds like you may have a faulty filter of have it fitted incorrectly.

Every device (phone, digibox etc) must have its own filter. The router must be connected via the router outlet on a filter and this must not be on the end of an extension which is itself plugged into a filter.

If it's not a filtering problem then I've no idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast