Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Line Attenuation poor?

This is a discussion on Line Attenuation poor? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Saturday Sounds like you may have a faulty filter of have it fitted incorrectly. Every device (phone, ...

tequilacrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haslington / Crewe
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Line Attenuation poor?

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Sounds like you may have a faulty filter of have it fitted incorrectly.

Every device (phone, digibox etc) must have its own filter. The router must be connected via the router outlet on a filter and this must not be on the end of an extension which is itself plugged into a filter.

If it's not a filtering problem then I've no idea.
      Thanks for the reply.

All 5 of my microfilters have the same effect (the 3 from sky, and 2 from my old ISP), and everything is plugged into my test socket.

As you can imagine... I'm just at a total loss to explain this, and get any further help. It does appear to be partially weather related (although that's an unscientific perspective). It's sometimes better in damp/wet weather for some reason... Hmmmmmm...
      Last edited by tequilacrush; 24-09-07 at 08:30 PM. Reason: spelling correction!!

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tequilacrush View Post
      Despite this, when BT visit, they only do the quiet line tests without the router connected (and they don't want to know about the router at all).
      Unfortunatly OFCOM state that BT only have to provide a voice capable line and an ADSL speed of (around 256Kbps) I think. The ISP is limited to the quality of the BT line.

OFCOM need to sort this so that between the ISP and BT they have to provide a speed (at the point of entry to the house) of (say) 75% of the max capable for the line distance. Never gonna happen thou as future equipment (ie fibre) will mean any investment to achieve this will be quickly redundant.

stealth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've got exactly the same problem with noise on my line. It can't be my sky router because I unplugged it and put a corded phone into the test socket and still my line crackles. BT engineer coming out tomorrow (29/09/07) so i'll keep you all posted as to my results.
      ST34LTH

stealth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have the problem fixed at last! The cable from the BT box at the front of my house was damaged. Engineer replaced this and voila! I'm back upto full speed again.
      ST34LTH

tequilacrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haslington / Crewe
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      Unfortunatly OFCOM state that BT only have to provide a voice capable line and an ADSL speed of (around 256Kbps) I think. The ISP is limited to the quality of the BT line.

OFCOM need to sort this so that between the ISP and BT they have to provide a speed (at the point of entry to the house) of (say) 75% of the max capable for the line distance. Never gonna happen thou as future equipment (ie fibre) will mean any investment to achieve this will be quickly redundant.
      I'm probably going to be tempting fate here, but BT have been doing some work with an exchange box a few roads down from where I live... and *fingers crossed* not only has my phone line been crackle free since, I've also got a permanent 8 meg connection with a pretty decent noise margin too!

One of my friends who's also with Sky Broadband who lives about a quarter of a mile away had been having problems too with his phone line. Maybe to BT this was one fault too many, I don't know, but either way, an engineer came out and did some (obviously) major work!

An odd side effect of this is that my attentuation has dropped from 42dB to 40dB. Maybe that's a coincidence though, I don't know...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12