Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Don't care about download but upload sucks!

This is a discussion on Don't care about download but upload sucks! within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; OK, so I moved house and decided to get Sky broadband having previously been with bulldog. The guy on the ...

ryukent is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lower Holloway
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Don't care about download but upload sucks!

OK, so I moved house and decided to get Sky broadband having previously been with bulldog. The guy on the phone said I should get around 12m download. I asked him specifically if the distance from the exchange would affect my upload speed and he said no as 768 is far below the limit of the line. I am convinced I was lied to.

So on the MAX package my router reports download speeds barely over 8000 and upload more like 380. That's less than half!! It's also less than the package that costs half the price.

A number of people are saying that you can have your download capped to improve upload speeds. For me upload is more important. Has anyone had success increasing upload?

Also, I was told I can switch down to the free broadband package any time (and then go with another ISP) but I've heard some other people say that you're stuck with max for 12 months. Was I lied to again?

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Don't care about download but upload sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by ryukent View Post
      I am convinced I was lied to.
      Nope.

My guess is your low upload speeds are either because you're wireless or you haven't set your TCP/IP settings correctly.

And you've bought an UP TO 16 meg package.
      Last edited by Saturday; 21-09-07 at 03:18 PM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

y u think you're lied to is beyond me....the agent might've been under the impression you could but that's just bad training. Sky don't 'lie' on purpose - it's usually to fob someone off cause they don't know an answer to a question

no, you can't downgrade to the free on and move - a contract is a contract...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

ryukent is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lower Holloway
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK, first of all, you are right, a contract is a contract, so under the consumer protection act, when I ask before I agree to the contract something which is fundamental to it and when an agent working on behalf of sky who is selling the contract tells me I can switch back down..... it forms part of the contract. It is what I have agreed to. If it is indeed not the case, it is not simply a mater of bad training, it is an illegal misrepresentation. I am fully within my rights to sue for specific performance of the contract. Luckily, I was on speakerphone when I made the agreement and have witnesses.

Secondly, I feel lied to because the person who's job it was to know and advise me on information fed me something incorrect. He didn't say that he wasn't sure or that he will have to check, he told me outright. It was something fundamental to me deciding whether or not to accept the product and therefore of course was of the utmost importance. That is why I asked before agreeing. He was very aware of this.

And finally, to saturday - wireless or cable should not affect the connection that my router has with the network. Why would TCP/IP setting affect the router's connection either?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

^ good luck sueing mate, it'll do no good!!!....

people have a certain responsibility to search for information before signing any contract, so regardless if they're incorrect some blame does fall on urself...

and if ur running on an extention, for example, it can have a HUGE affect to the routers connection
      Last edited by Saturday; 21-09-07 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Removed swear word
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ryukent View Post
      And finally, to saturday - wireless or cable should not affect the connection that my router has with the network. Why would TCP/IP setting affect the router's connection either?
      Then I've misunderstood. In your post you clearly said "download speeds barely over 8000 and upload more like 380" so that's what I was going on. Did you mean up/downstream i.e. what your router is syncing at? If so then no, how you are connected to the router can make no difference to router sync.

You started your first post rather angrily and are continuing the same way. The forum is here to help people. If you post your full stats I may be able to offer you more meaningful advice.