Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 14 of 71 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

**run a speedtest and post your results here**

This is a discussion on **run a speedtest and post your results here** within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by buzz Can I ask if the noise is ok or what can be done about it? Do ...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: **run a speedtest and post your results here**

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
      Can I ask if the noise is ok or what can be done about it?
      Do you mean your noise margin? If so then that's fine - nothing needing doing. For more info see the first sticky in my signature.

2. Advertisement
      chris76leeds is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 7.1 12.5
      Attn(dB): 46.5 27.6
      Pwr(dBm): 1.3 12.4
      Max(Kbps): 5552 864
      Rate (Kbps): 5421 764

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sync a little low for your attenuation. On a relatively noise free line you could expect~7500kbps.

With an attenuation of 46.5 you're over the threshold for benefits with ADSL2+. With the current Sky firmware you would get much the same sync speed but probably a more stable/reliable connection if you were on G.DMT. Change it yourself using Mognuts and see how you get on.

BTW this is a speedtest thread and you haven't posted your speedtest results just your router stats.

jemmy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Joined BB Max today, getting reasonable speed but not the best. Here is the speed test result and my router stats. I am connected using Ethernet. Am 1.5 miles from the exchange. What do you guys think of the stats.
      Also should I be expecting any impovement in speeds over next few days or does it remain the same.
      Would appreciate if someone could explain about noise and how to interpret it or provide a link where some info can be found.
      Thanks everyone

Firmware Version V1.02.28
      ADSL Port
      Network Type PPPoA
      LAN Port
      IP Address 192.168.0.1
      DHCP On
      IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Modem
      ADSL Firmware Version A2pB018e.d16f
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 8032 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 768 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

Wireless Port
      Name (SSID)
      Region Europe
      Channel 6
      Wireless AP Enabled
      Broadcast Name Enabled

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 20649 28201 0 3317 16739 00:33:07
      LAN 10M/100M 29605 22054 0 17042 3578 00:33:45
      WLAN 11M/54M/108M 277 19 0 26 0 00:33:35

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8032 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.0 db 19.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.6 db 14.0 db
      Last edited by jemmy; 08-11-07 at 12:44 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Your speed is a little low for your sync. Your sync is very low for your attenuation. Your noise margin is very low for your sync/attenuation.

This points to you having a noisy line and you are also probably on G.DMT.

Read the two stickies in my signature for an explanation then look at the cabling and faceplate help forum for info on diagnosing and fixing line issues.

No, your connection won't improve over the next few days on its own. However, if you improve things and ask to be moved to ADSL2+ you will see a much higher sync speed of ~13000kbps.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Saturday
      thanks for the reply
      I made myself dizzy reading all about noise attenuation, faceplate, wiring etc

I have tried running the TCP Optimiser, updated the driver of my ethernet card, rebooted the router. No difference in the speeds seen.

Can you please explain what is G.DMT and by subscribing to Max, arent you put on ADSL 2+ by default. Regarding the cabling. I have the standard BT masterplate in the house with two extension sockets in bedroom and study. Connect my Comp in study via ethernet. Use my internal modem in comp to send faxes.
      Also have a phone connected in bedroom, another telephone and sky + box connected via an extension cable to the filter on the master socket.
      What should I do to improve from my side.
      Last edited by Saturday; 08-11-07 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Removed full quote of preceding post

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jemmy View Post
      I made myself dizzy reading all about noise attenuation, faceplate, wiring etc

I have tried running the TCP Optimiser, updated the driver of my ethernet card, rebooted the router. No difference in the speeds seen.
      Then you need to pay more attention in class

If you're on G.DMT (actually any mode as every package is capped e.g. Base 2meg, Mid 8meg etc)) then your connection is probably capped at 8096kbps or thereabouts. If you improve your connection i.e. wiring, faceplate etc then you can't get a higher speed than your cap allows. However, you will see a change in your noise margin. If you do then you know that if your cap is lifted then you will then get a higher speed.

TCPOptimizer can't affect your router sync speed, cap or no cap. It just "opens the pipe" going into your PC so it can't act as a bottleneck. If there is/was a bottleneck then you would see a change in your download speeds up to ~80% of your router sync (the missing 20% is lost in transmission overheads). Uncapped and on ADSL2+ your attenuation is potentially capable of supporting a sync of ~13000kbps (~10500kbps download speed).

ADSL2+ has advantages over G.DMT if the line is short and good quality. When Sky set up a Max connection they run some simple tests and depending on the result set it to G.DMT or ADSL2+. In your case it looks as though the tests were incorrect as your attenuation puts you on the right side of benefiting from ADSL2+ provided you have relatively little line noise.

Lastly, if you want to improve your connection then you need to stop using an extension cable to connect any devices - they add a terrible amount of noise. With the set up you described you'd almost certainly benefit from fitting a replacement filtered faceplate (providing you have an NTE5 master socket). This is a 10 minute 15 DIY job and your hardwired extensions will all be protected by the faceplate, so plug in filters will no longer be necessary. The router must either be on a dedicated hardwired spur extension or preferably plugged straight into the (filtered) faceplate.

However, assuming your connection is fairly stable, you may feel that 6meg for 10 a month is fine and so just leave everything as it is.

Hope this helps.

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks Saturday
      I seem to be learning a lot now. I will give this new face plate from adsl nation a try but does that mean that the sockets upstairs which I use for fax will not work anf I will have to connect the router to master socket?
      Last edited by Saturday; 08-11-07 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Removed full quote of preceding post

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jemmy View Post
      thanks Saturday
      I seem to be learning a lot now. I will give this new face plate from adsl nation a try but does that mean that the sockets upstairs which I use for fax will not work anf I will have to connect the router to master socket?
      The ADSL faceplate comes with two sets of connectors: filtered for normal extensions (for phones, faxes etc) and unfiltered if you run a dedicated extension for the router. Most people connect their extensions to the filtered terminals and plug their router into the front of the faceplate. If the master socket is too far away from where you want the router then you can run a dedicated extension for it or, if the distance is less than 10m (20m at a pinch) then you can just buy a long RJ11 cable (router cable) but this must be kept away from any power cables as they will cause interference.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      The ADSL faceplate comes with two sets of connectors: filtered for normal extensions (for phones, faxes etc) and unfiltered if you run a dedicated extension for the router. Most people connect their extensions to the filtered terminals and plug their router into the front of the faceplate. If the master socket is too far away from where you want the router then you can run a dedicated extension for it or, if the distance is less than 10m (20m at a pinch) then you can just buy a long RJ11 cable (router cable) but this must be kept away from any power cables as they will cause interference.
      Thanks Saturday for all this info, has been of great help.
      I have been onto Sky technical support whole day and after a lot of persuasion managed to get to tier 3 technical support and guess what, you were spot on. My connection was capped at 8 MBps and the technical support guy in tier 3 was very sensible and managed to take off the cap and now the router syncs at 14 MBps.
      Here is the test results and router stats with the router connected to master socket and using wireless to connect at the moment.

ADSL Firmware Version A2pB018e.d16f
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 14100 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 764 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

System Up Time 00:10:52
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 11593 17145 0 6067 33616 00:10:11
      LAN 10M/100M 134 0 0 52 0 00:10:50
      WLAN 11M/54M 16953 12081 0 32587 6104 00:10:40

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 14100 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34.0 db 18.6 db
      Noise Margin 4.8 db 12.5 db

What do you make of the stats as they are now? I feel really happy though.
      Do you think changing the faceplate of mastersocket is likely to show significant improvement on these stats.

Page 14 of 71 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast