Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

at the end of my tether :(

This is a discussion on at the end of my tether :( within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hello, new member today and need help! i am not a numpty but i don't understand a lot of the ...

sistersmirnoff is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01522
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

at the end of my tether :(

hello, new member today and need help! i am not a numpty but i don't understand a lot of the tech stuff i read on this website.

i have had sky connect since april 2007 and i am thoroughly disappointed and apart from an escalating phone bill i'm not getting anywhere.

i have rang and rang tech support and done what they asked, ie connecting to the test socket etc. but i am getting nowhere.

i have now been told by them i am on a 256k connection. are sky having a laugh and taking 17 quid a month for something only slightly faster than dial-up? my download speeds are maximum 27kbps and this is as rare as rocking horse sh*t.

according to the exchange checker on this website my line is capable of speeds up to 8mb and BT told me 6.5mb. i was previously with virgin, had the broadband, phone, tv etc. but decided to change to sky earlier this year and now wish i hadn't bothered!

i feel that tech support or whatever they call themselves are reading from a manual, are not listening to me and i am getting more and more frustrated. monday night was just about the final straw, the lady in the philippines is probably a lovely person but i want a conversation where we can understand each other and i want this resolving or i will cancel my sky broadband as i feel i am being ripped off.

any ideas folks?

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: at the end of my tether :(

Have a look at the tutorials on this site and see how to post your router statistics. One of the resident phone-line geniuses will doubtless try to help.

skelf 23 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kilmarnock
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Dont think this will be the answer you quite want to hear but i`m having the same problem by the sounds of things with my sky connect.After 3 years of hassel free broadband with Orange i decided to change to sky and take advantage of the see,talk and surf package and am sorry i talked the wife into it now.I have been of the package since March and up untill 3 weeks ago was receiving and average of around 2mb but now my downstream is ready for this 137kbps.BT have replaced my complete line from my house to my exchange and also done a lift and shift and all to no avail and no one seems to have any idea why i have had this drastic reduction in speed further more when i started to look for another isp they are telling me CONGRATULATIONS i can recieve up to 0mb,yet my mate who lives in the house across the street can receive up to 3.5mb explaine that one!!!

Sky have now decided that as they cannot determine what the fault is that i have to cancel my broadband so i am suppose to phone them tomorrow to get my MAC code although with no isp seemingly able to provide me with the 2mb i had previously i`m not sure where i go from here.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have already done that on one of my other posts but seems like this problem has stumped every one.I`m just getting so P*** off that over past few days my speed keeps dropping have gone from around 440kbps to 130kbps in the past 5days and seemingly for no apparent reason.

Helpmeplease is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Broadband Option 1 (not for much longer)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

It could be a broken card at the Exchange.

I had a problem back with Nildram, back last year - where my line speed was really low. The speed should have been about 3.5MB, but I was receiving about 900kb downstream.

After constantly getting BT to investigate it twice, they discovered that the card on my line at the Exchange was faulty. They replaced it and away the line went.

You need to try and get through to Tier 3, so that they can make arrangements for BT to investigate the fault if your on Sky Connect. Contacted them last week about a speed problem and to my suprise they were very good and passed me on to Tier 3, immediately (after some basic checks).

Good Luc

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have had BT investigate the speed problem on more than 1 occasion through tier 3 still to no avail the eingeneers say i should have no problem getting a stable connection at around 1.5mb and believe them more than sky as it is family members who work for BT that have been dealing with my problems.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

^ tier 3 shouldn't even be touching it as you're offnet (connect) - tier 2 deal with all them...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Thanks

System Up Time 48:23:41
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 77444 97337 0 90 451 47:24:39
      LAN 10M/100M 3912 0 0 9 0 48:23:40
      WLAN 11M/54M 111483 107054 0 575 116 48:23:30

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 288 kbps 288 kbps
      Line Attenuation 17.0 db 11.0 db
      Noise Margin 30.3 db 29.0 db

hope this is what i'm supposed to have put in here lol

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

basically, it would seem BT have severely capped you.....tier 2 need to log a fault to BT to change ur speeds, if the try and pass you to tier 3 don't let them as it's not their job

with those stats you'd easily get 8MB on Connect - and prob 16MB if you were on LLU!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Thanks

i emailed sky about this issue when i was getting nowhere on the phone and just received their reply:-

If you have more than one computer connected simultaneously to your Sky Broadband Box then your connection may appear slow due to your bandwidth being shared between multiple computers.

If only 1 computer is connected your connecting may be slowed by the information saved on your computer that is not essential. To remove this information:-
      Open up a new browser window
      Click on Tools and select Internet Options
      Click on the Delete Cookies button and click Ok to delete all cookies.
      Click on Delete Files, place a tick in the box to delete all offline content, then click Ok
      Click on the Clear History button then click Yes
      If this is not the case, then when your speed appears to drop, please use the following steps to determine what speed you are connecting at :-
      Open up a new browser window
      Type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar
      The username is admin
      The password is sky
      Click on the Show Statistics button at the bottom of the page
      In the new pop-up screen it will show you your current connection speed. It will be labelled ‘downstream speed'.
      This speed is displayed in kbps. (e.g. 7648kbps approximately equates to 7.6Mbps)
      This will show you what speed you are connected at. If you feel this speed is a lot higher than you believe your connection to be running at, then I would recommend you do the following:
      Click on the Start button
      Then select Run
      Now type cmd and click ok
      In the new box that appears please type netstat after the C;> prompt, then press Enter
      Now count how many lines of information appear which start with TCP
      If this is more than ten then I would advise you run some anti-virus and Spyware checks on your system, as you may have Spyware programs inadvertently installed on your PC.

i am away for the weekend but will try and get through to tier 2 on monday evening and hopefully get this resolved, it is driving me crazy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast