Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow Connection Speed on Sky 8MB

This is a discussion on Slow Connection Speed on Sky 8MB within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey People, Just stumbled across this section. I've been getting slow speeds ever since the beginning of my Sky contract ...

Xeijin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stratford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Slow Connection Speed on Sky 8MB

Hey People,

Just stumbled across this section. I've been getting slow speeds ever since the beginning of my Sky contract (a good few months ago) when downloading stuff its normally not higher than about 200 KB/s. I came from a cable connection with NTL, and just assumed that ADSL was alot slower so have put up with it until I can get out of the contract.

Well anyhow thought I'd give this a shot, would be nice to have faster speeds again!

Code:
      /usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime  Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 416 Kbps, Downstream rate = 1824 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode:			G.DMT
      Channel:		Interleave
      Trellis:		ON
      Line Status:		No Defect
      Training Status:	Showtime
      		Down		Up
      SNR (dB):	10.0		14.0
      Attn(dB):	49.0		31.5
      Pwr(dBm):	19.1		7.7
      Max(Kbps):	2144		864
      Rate (Kbps):	1824		416
      Sky Package: Mid - 8MB (I'm pretty sure it's this one, will clarify)
      Distance from Exchange: 1.51KM (Stratford)
      Where Modem is plugged in: Upstairs (don't think this is master socket)

I'd like to be able to plug in my router into what I think is the master socket downstairs, but all the PCs are upstairs so this isn't much of a posibility. The only other thing I could think of is connecting my two routers wirelessly (the sky netgear dg834gt, and my linksys wrt54gs) together with the linksys in client mode (as the netgear dosen't support WDS) but I don't think this would be an ideal solution.
      Last edited by Xeijin; 27-08-07 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Added Extra Info

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Slow Connection Speed on Sky 8MB

using an extention is going to be playing a part in speed issues, you really do need to try it in the master/test socket and see if u can get your stats there. Even if it meant moving a PC downstairs for a day to give it a good work out cause on hat attenuaton you should get better than 1.8MB - not 8MB level but around 4ish

also, posting your detailed stats will also be more helpful (see link on my sig if you need help)
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

I've attached my detailed stats to this message.

I could bring the PC down for a bit, but it couldn't be a permanent solution as I have three PCs all connected via. Ethernet to the netgear router. Is this really the only solution?

4MB would be very nice

Edit: Also, just tried TCPOptimizer, set the correct MTU (1500) but my speed hasn't changed (according to speedtest.net, as I'm still getting around 1.5mb)
      Attached Files Attached Files
      Last edited by Xeijin; 27-08-07 at 01:06 AM.

Dougiebabe2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

K, not an expert but here's my 2 cents:

I'm guessing that you are 1.5km 'as the crow flies' in which case your line is quite a bit longer... around 3.5km given your attenuation.

This is probably the reason your attenuation is high-ish, but you should still being seeing a higher syncing speed than you are for your given attenuation.

You have cut off a major bit of the stats, the reason you are having such slow download speeds could be because of a high number of errors.

Post detailed stats where the router is now and then try it in the BT Master Socket. You don't have to keep it this way but if you are able to do it just to take a shot of the stats it would help a lot.

Hopefully it will only be an extension lead between the router and telephone socket but doing the above will help diagnose the problem better.

If I'm wrong please correct me anyone... I'm still learning

Edit: Just seen your other post:

You are having a fair number of errors and LOADS of disconnects.

Try plugging the router into the master socket and see if this improves the connection.

If possible, plug it in and post more stats straight away then, Like IAmNotTheEnemy says, leave the router plugged into it for a while and stress the net and then post some more stats.
      Last edited by Dougiebabe2003; 27-08-07 at 01:10 AM.

Thanks

Right so It'd be useful to get stats from the router when it's plugged into the master socket? If so I'll use my sisters laptop to pull some stats, will have them for you tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the help.