Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Just activated : My Sky Max stats - are these OK ?

This is a discussion on Just activated : My Sky Max stats - are these OK ? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi... Ive been with Sky MID now since January. I upgraded to MAX yesterday (Tuesday 26th June) . Whilst using ...

Loser39 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chichester, West Sussex.
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just activated : My Sky Max stats - are these OK ?

Hi...

Ive been with Sky MID now since January.

I upgraded to MAX yesterday (Tuesday 26th June) .

Whilst using the MID service my initial speeds were around 2-3.5 megs during the day, and 3.75-5.3 megs in the evening... but over the past several months these speeds have gradually halved !

Using my new MAX service today my average speed, according to the http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest is 6.6 megs down and 635kbps up - is this any good for the MAX product, & can I expect it to get any better over the ten day breaking-in period and beyond.

I live 1.3Km's, as the crow flies, from the BT exchange.

My Netgear device has constantly [more or less] been displaying the following tech. info all afternoon;

Connection speed : Down 8096kbps, Up 768kbps
      Line attenuation : Down 35.0db, Up 21.5db
      Noise Margin : Down 12.1db, Up 14db

I'll update this thread over the next ten days so new users & prospective users can get and idea of what to expect from the MAX service.

Your views & advice are welcomed.

Regards,

Mark.

PS : Wouldn't it be useful, for the sake of accurate comparison for all forum members, for the forum moderators to recommend just one accurate and reliable speed test site which all users use as refererence, so the results posted are constant and genuinely informative to all of us ! Just an idea...

M.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Just activated : My Sky Max stats - are these OK ?

I really do think you'd benefit from reading a few more posts on the forum.

From the limited info you've given you are certainly on the Max package (ref the upstream figure) but are capped to 8096kbps downstream. This could be a mistake but more likely they haven't lifted your downstream as your line condition is too poor. This is certainly supported by your noise margin which is a little low for a capped 35db connection syncing at 8096kbps.

"6.6 megs" is about the correct download speed for an 8096kbps connection.

There is no "ten day breaking-in period".

Have a look at the first sticky in my signature at the bottom of this post. I'd then recommend looking at the router stats forum sticky followed by the cabling and faceplate help forum.

JimM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chessington
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If it's any help I'm new to the Max package as well and getting pretty much the same speeds as you, although my attenuation is higher at 46.

From what I've read this is about the best I can hope for on my line and I have to stay it's still a decent improvement over my 4mb cable broadband.

One other thing to note is that the test from speedtest.net gives a download speed of approx 6500 for my connection but when downloading large files from my newsgroup provider I regularly get speeds of 8mb!

HTH

Jim

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi again...

Saturday - Thanks for your advice... Ive read lots of other threads here and have decided to go for a new XTE 2005 Filtered Faceplate with the dedicated ADSL socket, an IDC disposable tool, and also some CAT5e cabling, all of which cost me a very reasonable 17.50 including delivery from ADSL Nation ( adslnation.com - ADSL Products & Services UK )

My plan is to get all the hardware as good as I can get it and see what difference this makes to my speed/noise margin levels etc. I will then tackle the other tweaks which this site offers in an attempt to improve further, and once Ive done all that I'll contact Sky to see if they will increase my capped service.

I'll let forum members know how easy the faceplate is to install and any speed increases I gain.

Regards,

Mark.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well...

My new faceplate arrived this morning with the new cat5e cable and I installed it without any problems as I have no extensions.

Here are the before speed test results, ( old faceplate with cheapo 5 metre telephone extension lead passing from my BT socket to the Sky router ) .

And after ( with router plugged directly into ADSL faceplate socket and 5 metre CAT5e cable from router to PC ) .

No increase at all really... so then I tried the software tweaks.

I used the TCPOptimizer which resulted in the following speed test.

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][/

...again no improvement.

So then I tried another similar piece of tweaking software, the Dr TCP tweaking tool with the following results.

...with no improvement !

I don't know what else to do or try

As I mentioned earlier, as the crow flies I live 1.3kmss from the BT exchange ( or using the divide by 13.8 formula the actual length is approx. 2.54km's ).

When I was with BT and then Pipex I always achieved top end speed for the services I subscribed to - I assumed that after upgrading from Sky MID to the MAX service I would get high speeds and must admit to being a little disappointed that all the above tweaks and hardware have made no difference.

Any ideas what else I should try ?

My router stats are as follows;

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 128354 123495 0 4705 31566 01:26:12
      LAN 10M/100M 245391 253402 0 27782 4977 03:06:10
      WLAN 11M/54M 1104 0 0 25 0 03:05:59

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8096 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34.0 db 21.0 db
      Noise Margin 12.8 db 13.0 db

...and the stats according to broadbandreports.com can be seen here;

Tweak Results .

Incidentally, if needed, my PC specs are - Dell 5150 - 64bit 3.2 Pentium 4, 2 Gigs Dual Channel RAM, 256mb ATI PCi-Express Graphics, CreativeLabs Xfi 64Mb SoundCard, 2 x 160 Gig SATA Hard Drives, CD & DVD ReWriters, FloppyDrive, FreeCom USB TV Card + Remote, USB MultiCard Reader, ViewSonic VP930 19" TFT, i-Trigue 3400 Speakers, Plantronics HeadSet, MS MultiMedia KeyBoard with FingerPrint Reader, Logitech 11-Button MediaPlay Mouse/Remote Control, 18 x USB2, WinXP-Pro.

Any help and advice appreciated.

Regards,

Mark.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I think you are still misunderstanding what is going on with your connection.

Your connection is capped at 8096kbps. No amount of tweaking or improved filtering will get you a higher throughput than you are currently getting for that sync speed. In fact, allowing for transmission overheads, a download speed of 6973kbps is excellent for your sync speed.

If you want higher speeds then you need to get uncapped (and put on ADSL2+ as you're probably on G.DMT). With your attenuation, assuming you now have a relatively noise free line, you could expect a sync of ~14000kbps which will give a download speed of ~11200kbps.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi...

I was in the process of talking to Sky Broadband Customer Service tier3 as you posted 'Saturday'...

They done some tests and then lifted my cap to 10236kbps ! They also suggested the true distance from the BT exchange is 3.25km's

They tested full 16megs but insisted my line is incapable of reliably maintaining those speeds.

However, my download speed has been increased to;

System Up Time 04:59:43
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 57717 56469 0 11869 67412 00:17:53
      LAN 10M/100M 349783 360768 0 24709 4444 04:59:40
      WLAN 11M/54M 2088 0 0 21 0 04:59:29

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10236 kbps 766 kbps
      Line Attenuation 37.5 db 20.2 db
      Noise Margin 11.6 db 12.0 db

How do I find out if I am on ADSL2+ or G.DMT, and who do I contact to change it, Sky or BT ?

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Mark.
      Last edited by Loser39; 03-07-07 at 05:24 PM. Reason: incomplete

Exchange:
      Thanks

8811kbps is an excellent download speed for your sync - you won't improve materially on that.

A sync of 10236kbps with an attenuation of 37.5db means you are on ADSL2+. Moving from this would not give you any speed increase.