Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Internet Speed Is Terrible.

This is a discussion on My Internet Speed Is Terrible. within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm on 16mb Sky Max broadband, have been for the last month or so. My speed has been absolutely terrible, ...

D3K
      D3K is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llanishen
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My Internet Speed Is Terrible.

I'm on 16mb Sky Max broadband, have been for the last month or so. My speed has been absolutely terrible, I'm getting about 116-130kb/s when downloading. I've tried a lot of ways to improve it, for example using the TCPOptimizer and keeping it plugged in for 3 days without resetting it after the 10 day activation period.

The distance from my exchange is 2.34km.

I'm not sure how to get the long list of information like other people have posted, but if someone can point me in the right direction I'll post it. This is the only information I know:

I entered the Downstream Attenuation from the above image on DSL ZoneUK and it says I should be able to get 3-6mbps. However, I don't think 100kb/s is even remotely close to that speed.

Can anyone help me improve my speed please?

If it's any help, I'm connecting using an ethernet cable, for some reason my computer wont connect me to it through a wireless.. even though it did when we were on NTL. My sisters room is right next to mine and she connects through wireless, although she gets crap speeds too. Quite often the router gets taken out of my room, and brought downstairs because my younger sister can't connect to it when it's in my room, and I can't connect to it when it's by there so we share time. I have a phone socked in my room to which the modem is plugged into, and there is a (...I've forgotten the name, but there were a few of them that came with the broadband, meant to go in all the phone sockets) in the downstairs phone socket too, where the main telephone is plugged into.

I can't think of anything else to say. Please can someone help me?

2. Advertisement
      newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: My Internet Speed Is Terrible.

Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4

GET detailed stats

then open in wordpad

D3K
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 768 Kbps, Downstream rate = 1408 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 6.1 7.0
      Attn(dB): 52.0 31.5
      Pwr(dBm): 18.4 12.5
      Max(Kbps): 1568 864
      Rate (Kbps): 1408 768
      G.dmt framing
      K: 45(0) 25
      R: 16 16
      S: 4 8
      D: 32 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 1 1
      B: 45 25
      M: 4 8
      T: 1 1
      R: 16 16
      S: 4.3478 8.6153
      L: 368 208
      D: 32 8
      Counters
      SF: 411384 411382
      SFErr: 0 0
      RS: 6993546 3496747
      RSCorr: 143077 626
      RSUnCorr: 0 0

HEC: 0 0
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 23224970 0
      Data Cells: 578419 0
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 11 0
      SES: 11 0
      UAS: 26 0
      Total time = 1 hours 57 min 7 sec
      SF = 411384
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 12
      LOF = 0
      ES = 11
      Latest 1 day time = 1 hours 57 min 7 sec
      SF = 411384
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 12
      LOF = 0
      ES = 11
      Latest 15 minutes time = 12 min 7 sec
      SF = 42814
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 1
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52931
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 1
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52930
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 2
      LOF = 0
      ES = 2
      15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52990
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52930
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0

Thanks very much.

Can anyone help me using these statistics?

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D3K View Post
      IMy speed has been absolutely terrible, I'm getting about 116-130kb/s when downloading.
      Your router is only syncing at 1408kbps and it is a physical impossibility to download at a higher rate than your sync rate.

With a relatively noise free line your attenuation will support a sync of ~5000kbps. The difference between this and what you are getting is due to line noise (in case you are wondering, no, you haven't been capped).

You will find a great deal of useful info in the cabling and faceplate help forum on diagnosing and fixing line noise issues. When you have had a look at that the first test you need to run is a direct connection to your test socket which is hidden inside your master socket (assuming you have an NTE5). This will show you what speed is possible with improvements to your wiring.

D3K
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      When you have had a look at that the first test you need to run is a direct connection to your test socket which is hidden inside your master socket (assuming you have an NTE5). This will show you what speed is possible with improvements to your wiring.
      There is no test socket behind the faceplate. It's just wires. Is there any other way I can improve it?

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You've got a few options

The ideal would be to get a new NTE5 fitted with a filtered faceplate but that's not absolutely essential.

Many people find that their connection improves dramatically if they disconnect the bell/ring wire in their master socket. This is connected to the terminal numbered 3 and is usually an orange wire with white rings. If you do this then there is a possibility that if you have any old phones in the house then they won't ring any more but that shouldn't happen as a microfilter has a ring capacitor inside it - and as you know, every phone must have its own microfilter.

The other thing you should do in any case is to not use any cheap line splitters or any plug in phone extension leads.

HTH

D3K
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      You've got a few options

The ideal would be to get a new NTE5 fitted with a filtered faceplate but that's not absolutely essential.

Many people find that their connection improves dramatically if they disconnect the bell/ring wire in their master socket. This is connected to the terminal numbered 3 and is usually an orange wire with white rings. If you do this then there is a possibility that if you have any old phones in the house then they won't ring any more but that shouldn't happen as a microfilter has a ring capacitor inside it - and as you know, every phone must have its own microfilter.

The other thing you should do in any case is to not use any cheap line splitters or any plug in phone extension leads.

HTH
      Ok let me just clarify this a second. I have to remove the faceplate again, and disconnect the orange wire with white rings which is connected to terminal number 3. How do I do this, simply by pulling it gently or...? And if that doesn't work would there be a way to put it back? Then would I have to put the faceplate back on, and plug the router directly into the socket again?

Problem with that, since we got the new router, I've only been able to connect to it using an ethernet cable and using a LAN, I've not been able to keep a steady connection when trying to connect it through wireless, as it disconnects after a few seconds for some reason. So when the router is plugged into the master socket downstairs, I wont be able to connect to the router.. unless you know a solution to this?

I had a look at the number of things going into the master socket, and I took a picture of the setup:

That's what it looked like just now, then I unplugged some to see which ones were actually needed for the internet, and now it's configured like this:

If the big grey one isn't plugged in, the internet wont work, I try the internet repair option on msn messenger, and it says there's a problem with the DNS and the Key Ports, the wire plugged into the grey port thing is the main phone line. I've also tried plugging a microfilter into that port, and it has the same problem with the DNS and Key Ports, so I took it out.

So given all that information now.. what solution can you give me lol? Sorry for all this, but I really appreciate your help.

edwardw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYDEW
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

dude thats a mess!
      if i was you i would buy a new adslnation filtered faceplate, and if needed, rewire your dsl extension with cat5 cabling! All those cables you have going where ever will just increase noise!
      Connected @ 13mbit on SkyMAX

D3K
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edwardw View Post
      dude thats a mess!
      if i was you i would buy a new adslnation filtered faceplate, and if needed, rewire your dsl extension with cat5 cabling! All those cables you have going where ever will just increase noise!
      It's only 2 cables now though..?

D3K
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edwardw View Post
      dude thats a mess!
      What would a filtered faceplate do, and how would I put it on there, and how much work would be involved?

How would I rewire the extension, and what the heck is cat5 cabling?? :| Oh man.. I'm screwed aren't I? :'(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast