Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Strange problems with speed help needed.

This is a discussion on Strange problems with speed help needed. within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone i am currently on the SKY MID package with speeds of upto 8mb on this package but i ...

kanwar786 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: High Wycombe
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Strange problems with speed help needed.

Hi everyone i am currently on the SKY MID package with speeds of upto 8mb on this package but i don't think that i am getting anywhere near this. on Speakeasy - Speed Test i am getting the following results:

download speed: 1480 kbps
      upload: 194 kbps

Here are the figures from the sky stats on the router homepage.

System Up Time 47:32:53
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 2363365 2771522 0 1276 8777 47:32:06
      LAN 10M/100M 3892 0 0 5 0 47:32:51
      WLAN 11M/54M 2778526 2415431 0 9012 1479 47:32:41

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4096 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 38.0 db 23.5 db
      Noise Margin 16.2 db 14.0 db

Is the speed i am getting the most possible on my line? If not what can i do about it. thanks.
      Last edited by kanwar786; 24-06-07 at 03:40 PM. Reason: missed some stats

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Strange problems with speed help needed.

For some reason Sky have capped your speed to 4096kbps. They normally do this when they find line problems - extensions are a common cause.

Please run a comparison test with the router connected directly to your test socket (hidden inside your master socket, assuming you have an NTE5). What you are looking for is a jump in your noise margin (your sync will stay the same as you are capped). If you get a jump then you have problems with your home phone wiring - which is usually easily fixed. If you have, and can fix it, then you can ask Sky to uncap you. Your attenuation will easily support the full speed for Mid.

If you don't get a jump then it could be that you no longer have a line problem but you would need to post your full stats to verify you no longer have line errors.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK bro thanks alot firstly for replying greatly appreciated. So i need to put the router in the bottom right part of the master socket after taking the screws out right? So then i need to check if the noise margin goes up if it does then i got wiring problems. I will check it and post again. Btw kinds of problems are the home wiring problems and how can they be fixed bro?

PS. Could you please also help me with my post in the gaming area about connecting wirelessly in windows media centre to my xbox 360 if possible.

thanks again for replying.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes, if you have an NTE5 type master socket then unscrew the front plate and plug your router into the socket which is revealed. Just connect it with a microfilter and the supplied cable.

If you have wiring problems then your noise margin will increase compared to your normal connection (if you weren't capped then the sync speed would increase instead of or as well).

If you don't get a jump then either the problem lies in the line to your exchange or you don't have a problem. In this case I need to see your detailed stats before I can advise further.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok bro i have just done the test and taken out all other equipments but the router when doing so and have got the following results:

System Up Time 00:13:37
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 758 1006 0 106 1002 00:12:37
      LAN 10M/100M 1373 1067 0 1112 179 00:13:35
      WLAN 11M/54M 325 230 0 79 35 00:13:25

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4096 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 38.0 db 23.5 db
      Noise Margin 20.5 db 14.0 db

the downstream noise margin has increased by about 4 db's compared to normal and i don't know about the other results. What should i do now? Where does the problem lie? thanks alot for co-operating.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The test socket isolates all phone wiring in your home so the noise margin change shows that your wiring is adding a bit of noise - 4db isn't a huge jump so I doubt it is a massive issue.

What you need to do now is two things:
      • first, stop using an extension for your router (if that's what you were doing), fit a replacement filtered faceplate to your master socket ( a 10 minute, 15 DIY job) and plug your router into that. You'll find plenty of info about this in the cabling and faceplate help forum.
      • second, when you've fixed your wiring, call Sky and request to be uncapped.

Once you have a relatively noise free line you could expect a new sync of 8096 which is the maximum for Mid. If you moved to Max you'd get 11750 down and 768 up i.e. nearly 3 times your current downstream speed and 50% more upstream though if there is still some noise present you'll get less than this.

PS. Have you solved your 360 problem?
      Last edited by Saturday; 25-06-07 at 07:40 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

BT have recently fitted a new faceplate on my master socket and they have also replaced the wire which comes from the mast outside on my road it is a greay wire. Before they did this i used to have quite a bit of noise on phone calls i used to make but now that doesn't happen.

Should i call sky now and request to be uncapped. Should i also change the face plate of my secondary phone plug which is upstairs? because that is quite an old one and will that completely cut the noise so i can have 20db's.

btw i haven't got quite around to the 360 issue but when i do i'll let you know. cheers mate.

PS. if my noise level stays at 16 or possible 17 by changing the secondary faceplate should i still call SKY and tell them to uncap?

thanks for your help.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Don't get too fixated on your noise margin as it is artificially high due to the capping.

The test you did shows you have noise being generated by your home phone wiring. If you already have a filtered faceplate (I assume that's what you mean BT fitted) then this should give the same result as your test socket. As it's not, to me that suggests either its not a filtered faceplate or you have a particularly bad piece of wiring/equipment somewhere which the faceplate isn't able to handle. Fitting a filtered faceplate to your extension socket shouldn't be necessary and they aren't designed for this.

As I said before, I don't think your wiring can be that bad as the noise margin jump wasn't huge. If I were you I'd call Sky to get uncapped now - make sure they know you've fixed your line issues i.e. have a filtered faceplate fitted. Sky T3 will raise your speed until they feel errors are likely to be a problem. Chances are that as you are on Mid this will be to the maximum that Mid offers of 8096kbps.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have some good news and some bad news. Firstly the good news. My xbox 360 is now connected wirelessly to the nwtwork so thats OK. thanks for providing your help but im still not quite sure how i did it!

Secondly the bad news. I phoned sky up to uncap my line but tier 3 'rejected' the request to uncap above 4096kbps. They said they did some diagnostic requests and found that this is the optimum speed for my line. I think this is BS after looking at my stats. The assistant told me that the max you['re line can handle is 5mb so i told him to uncap to that atleast.

I think Sky are BS'ing to save bandwidth. What do you think?

btw how do i check how far i am from the exchange i heard you can do it on samknows.com. is there any other extra informatiON I CAN GET to prove SKY wrong and get full MID speed?

thanks. please reply soon.

irvin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ellesmere Port
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Don't know if this is any help, but I got capped @ 10meg with line att of 35.5db due to a low snr margin.

BT were insistent that there was no fault on my line but after eventually sending an engineer out discovered a loose connection in the junction box down the road. This increased my Snr margin by 8db and have since called Sky and had cap removed. I am now getting 12.5meg tops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast