Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

MM - 3 days in...

This is a discussion on MM - 3 days in... within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Came across this website and have been watching and reading with interest. Got SKY broadband installed 4 days ago ...

dcraggs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Coalville
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

MM - 3 days in...

Hi,

Came across this website and have been watching and reading with interest. Got SKY broadband installed 4 days ago now and well...

Broadband link drops on average every hour or so - so I have to either log onto Router and reconnect or switch off the router so that it picks up link again. Then sometimes the router just freezes, meaning that we have to disconnect and reconnect to get it working again. Speed drops from 54mbps to 1mbps as well, randomly. Now the router is down stairs within sight of the laptop I am using and 1 partition wall away from my Fiance's laptop.

I am pretty disappointed to be honest. Is this the 8 day testing period that people on here have suggested? Or would I be best to just simply cut my losses cancel SKY broadband and get a new provider in. The annoying thing is that we came from AOL to this, I really do not like the fact that the router is a sky branded netgear router either! I would prefer to have a non rebranded router as I know it is likely to be more reliable. I am sure that the router is actually the cause of some of the problems.

I have 2 days left, if this carries on I will simply look for another provider of broadband. Your thoughts most welcomed.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: MM - 3 days in...

Maybe a bit more reading needed?

There is no training period for the product you have.

If you are getting variable download speeds on wireless then this is very probably due to a poor quality wireless signal (not the same as wireless strength). Experimenting with router position and/or wireless channel will probably bring about improvements though wired will always be better.

If you are getting regular disconnections then the most likely reason is the UPnP "bug". To fix it, turn it off in the router. The next most likely reason is a noise margin problem. See the first sticky in my signature at the bottom of this post for info.