Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Up to 8mb package - 1.7mb average speed

This is a discussion on Up to 8mb package - 1.7mb average speed within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Oh technically blessed ones .... Latest speedtest at 1.4mb (speedtest.net) and 330mb upload although Netgear router says 3232 mb and ...

Kingfisher is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Great Harwood
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Up to 8mb package - 1.7mb average speed

Oh technically blessed ones ....

Latest speedtest at 1.4mb (speedtest.net) and 330mb upload although Netgear router says 3232 mb and 442 upload.

I have tried for weeks and months to resolve thro' Sky C/S but to no avail.
      I have tried the mods on wiring removal on here - what do I do next.
      Please help - I'm ready to take up knitting !

If I wasn't still in my first 12 mths I'd give an arm to go back to the old NTL world 2mb cable broadband.

Nigel

2. Advertisement
      boab2791 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lennoxtown (WSLEX)
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Up to 8mb package - 1.7mb average speed

What time are you carrying out your speed tests at. On Connect which is a BT based product you will suffer slow throughput in the peak evening periods, there is nothing you can really do about this.

Your sync rate of 3232 would give you a max throughput of 2.5Mbps and after overheads are taken into account the max speed you would get is around the 2.3Mbps mark. It's not realy fair how BT do this but those are the rules set and I doubt anybody could convince the mighty BT to change this.

Log on to BT Speedtester and check to see what your current IP Profile is set at, you may find it is stuck at 2000kbps and would also explain your low speed test.

Russ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Bridge (ESLVB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER115
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Speedtests are notoriously "iffy" at the best of times. (The server may be slow due to a lot doing speedtests, yadda yadda....) Better to try downloading a large file and see what your speed settles at.
      Also post your stats and i`m sure someone will help you with some suggestions.
      http://www.speedtest.net/

Users armed with a little knowledge are dangerous things!
      Step away from the keyboard slowly............your right to use the internet has been revoked!
      You have a 'PEBKAC' problem

Kingfisher is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Great Harwood
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you Boab and Russ for taking the time to respond - I have tried the BT Speedtester and it keeps failing to complete. I have checked the netgear router stats this morning and they are - down 2112, up 442, attenuation 53 and noise 15.9db.
      I have tried other speedtester sites and they all show a similar speed, rolling average is 1743kb.

Nigel

PeteC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: cable
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

download this file using a download manager ( best one is downthemall for firefox addon)

www.petesmail.eu/bf2.exe

it's a 1/2 size exe so won't work so no virus threat - it's clean anyway

you should get near your 2.5MB if you set your D/L manager to get 10 connections ( and on downthemall) 10 chunks too

boab2791 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lennoxtown (WSLEX)
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

@Kingfisher

Your welcome.

Are you sure you are on the Connect service, I have a feeling you might actually be on the LLU Mid or even Max service. The reason I am suggesting this is you say the BT Speedtester does not work for you, if you are on any of the LLU bundles the speedtester wont work, what is the actual error message. Also you upstream speed of 442 is not what you get on Connect, I think you are guaranteed an upstream of 448 on Connect where as on Sky it flucuates.

Your current sync is 2112 which if you where on Connect would give you an IP Profile of 1500kbps making your speed test of 1743kbps impossible to achieve until the additional profile steps are introduced at the end of July.

You also mentioned in the original post your downstream sync was 3232 yet you speedtest was poor. If on the Connect service your router needs to hold that sync for at least 3 days before the BT equipment at your exchange will increase your allowed throughput on the line, ie in this case it would have gone to 2500kbps, again with this expect an actual speedtest around the 2300kbps mark. If your router then resyncs to a lower sync at any point your configured throughput drops accordingly and if it again sync hogh you have 3 day wait. Have a look at the explanation for the ADSL upto 8mb service at DSL ZoneUK - ADSL Max explained to see what actually happens.

If you are on the LLU product then you spped of 1743 is what you would expect for a connection of 2112 as you will get around 85% of the actual sync due to overheads. With the LLU product there are no profiles limiting your speed, you will always get around the 85% mark unless there is contention or soem other issue affecting your line/exchange.

Post some detailed stats of the router if you can, there is a tool somewhere on here that can do that for you.