Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

I signed up for 16MB Broadband max, I should stay with 512k AOL...

This is a discussion on I signed up for 16MB Broadband max, I should stay with 512k AOL... within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am so annoyed by this pesky sky broadband! I signed up for 16MB Broadband max and at the latest ...

k0msomolets is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I signed up for 16MB Broadband max, I should stay with 512k AOL...

I am so annoyed by this pesky sky broadband! I signed up for 16MB Broadband max and at the latest speed test I peak at around 600kb.

Pathetic! Whats worse is that I've just discovered thanks to this helpful forum that I am not the first and won't be the last to have speed problems.

I should've taken the free broadband which comes with the TV subscription, which at a promised 2MB would have, in theory given me the same speed as I'm getting on sky now. I can still access the AOL router as its on another line and hasn't been cancelled yet, and the AOL I tested not 5 minutes earlier gave me a reasonable 480kbs which is a lot rotting closer to their promised speed than sky are to theirs. I could accept getting say 12MB or even 8MB because of high traffic in the evenings, perhaps even half of that which would in theory be lightyears faster than AOL, but I've only once got a reading over 1MB and that was around noon on a weekday when I'm least likely to need my broadband service normally anyway. Usually its no better than the 600kb I mentioned.

I'm not a computer whiz I just get by somehow, so can anyone give me advice? Is it the local exchange? Is it the sky/netgear router - does it need replacing? I basically want to know why I'm getting virtually the same speed I got on AOL - by the way I'm leaving AOL in the first place because they are slow!!! What can sky do (no not me, I shouldn't have to do anything) to fix their speed problem?

By the way there is something odd going on with the router too. On my laptop downstairs I get 54mbps over the wireless, on the desktop upstairs (nearer to the router) I get 11mbps over wireless and I've tried unplugging the rotting router and replugging it but no change!! Any ideas?
      Last edited by k0msomolets; 15-05-07 at 07:59 PM.

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: I signed up for 16MB Broadband max, I should stay with 512k AOL...

Quote Originally Posted by k0msomolets View Post
      I should've taken the free broadband which comes with the TV subscription, which at a promised 2MB would have, in theory given me the same speed as
      Nope all sky products includng BASE are UP TO the quoted figure. This has always been totally clear right from launch. There is no promise of any speed including 2Mb.

you have said in your post that's its up to sky to sort, but i'm afraid its not.

Did you read fully the details before you signed up, it's never been hidden and always been totally clear.

To improve your speed, try the test socket under the master socket (see my sig) and also post your router stats using mognuts util (again see my sig).

A lot of problems (not all) are down to the end user not setting up their PC correctly or having poor internal wiring. Nothing that Sky or BT are in control of.

There are instances where Sky can fix things, but you need to know that it is their fault before casting blame on them. There are people who have mangaged to quadrouple their speed due to failings of their own set up.
      Last edited by reddwarfcrew; 15-05-07 at 08:05 PM.

k0msomolets is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      Nope all sky products includng BASE are UP TO the quoted figure. This has always been totally clear right from launch. There is no promise of any speed including 2Mb.

you have said in your post that's its up to sky to sort, but i'm afraid its not.

Did you read fully the details before you signed up, it's never been hidden and always been totally clear.

To improve your speed, try the test socket under the master socket (see my sig) and also post your router stats using mognuts util (again see my sig).

A lot of problems (not all) are down to the end user not setting up their PC correctly or having poor internal wiring. Nothing that Sky or BT are in control of.

There are instances where Sky can fix things, but you need to know that it is their fault before casting blame on them. There are people who have mangaged to quadrouple their speed due to failings of their own set up.
      Listen Red, (nice to see another liverpool supporter) I will take your advice. Of course your right about the UP TO bit. I know all about the UP TO 16MB and all the terms and conditions in intimate detail. Alas I'm just one of those poor sod's who expects something a little more than 600k when they sign up for 16mb "MAX". From what I've seen some people get ok speeds but others, well they are like me and get utter rubbish speeds. Another thing is that my order included the engineer coming out to install the broadband and implicitly to check that it is working correctly - it would have been nice if he had (supposing he had done a simple speed test) at the very least said:

"A lot of problems (not all) are down to the end user not setting up their PC correctly or having poor internal wiring. Nothing that Sky or BT are in control of."

Thanks for the suggestions I will take them on board, but the pessimist in me thinks I'll be back on here to tell you that I told you so.

Exchange:
      Thanks

unfortunately as Sky only offer an 'up to' service, the engineer is never going to do that. It's the real world I'm afraid.

The key is to find out your attenuation figure in the first instance (by posting your router stats). This will immediately highlight the potential figure that you could get.

it may well be that 600Kb is the max you can get (but I would doubt it).

Post your stats and I will comment on them straight away for you (if you do it nowish).

psychocandy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: rhiwderin
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am so annoyed by this pesky sky broadband! I signed up for 16MB Broadband max and at the latest speed test I peak at around 600kb.

Pathetic! Whats worse is that I've just discovered thanks to this helpful forum that I am not the first and won't be the last to have speed problems.

I should've taken the free broadband which comes with the TV subscription, which at a promised 2MB would have, in theory given me the same speed as I'm getting on sky now. I can still access the AOL router as its on another line and hasn't been cancelled yet, and the AOL I tested not 5 minutes earlier gave me a reasonable 480kbs which is a lot rotting closer to their promised speed than sky are to theirs. I could accept getting say 12MB or even 8MB because of high traffic in the evenings, perhaps even half of that which would in theory be lightyears faster than AOL, but I've only once got a reading over 1MB and that was around noon on a weekday when I'm least likely to need my broadband service normally anyway. Usually its no better than the 600kb I mentioned.

I'm not a computer whiz I just get by somehow, so can anyone give me advice? Is it the local exchange? Is it the sky/netgear router - does it need replacing? I basically want to know why I'm getting virtually the same speed I got on AOL - by the way I'm leaving AOL in the first place because they are slow!!! What can sky do (no not me, I shouldn't have to do anything) to fix their speed problem?

By the way there is something odd going on with the router too. On my laptop downstairs I get 54mbps over the wireless, on the desktop upstairs (nearer to the router) I get 11mbps over wireless and I've tried unplugging the rotting router and replugging it but no change!! Any ideas?
      Listen mate. Sky are crap at a lot of things but you cant blame them for the wiring from the phone exchange to your house....

Thats BT mate. Unfortunately, 16Mb is only ever going to be possible if you live close to the exchange and the line quality is good.

Dont blame Sky - not their fault...
      Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is there a wall in the way?

Is there anything else that could cause interference?

Is the desktop wireless card definitely capable of 54mbps? Some of the older ones were only 11mbps....

Is it configured correctly?

Once again, I'm afraid you cant blame sky for this one.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

@k0msomolets
      As already stated above, for anyone to give you a definative answer you need to post your full router stats via the test socket - you also need to be connected via ethernet when you get the stats, not wireless.
      Use this utility to get them and we will do our best to help
      Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4
      cheers
      dave

IanMax is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peartree
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I agree with all of the above regarding it is probably something in your home ( like no filters on ALL phones / skybox. or a dodgy telephone extension ) but with regards to your wireless problem i think that will be down to you only having an 11mbs wireless card on the desktop pc OR the wireless card / usb device is only set to 11mbs.

Hope you get it sorted.

Ian
      Bt phone socket and wiring help > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/

Router stats and help on understanding them > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/router-stats/

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IanMax View Post
      I agree with all of the above regarding it is probably something in your home ( like no filters on ALL phones / skybox. or a dodgy telephone extension ) but with regards to your wireless problem i think that will be down to you only having an 11mbs wireless card on the desktop pc OR the wireless card / usb device is only set to 11mbs.

Hope you get it sorted.

Ian
      Agreed. Bit too much of a coincidence that that the desktop PC card is getting exactly 11mbps. I reckon its only an 11mbps card.

What happens when you stick the laptop next to the desktop? What sort of conenction do u get then?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Listen Red, (nice to see another liverpool supporter) I will take your advice. Thanks for the suggestions I will take them on board, but the pessimist in me thinks I'll be back on here to tell you that I told you so.
      So any news?

It would be good to know if your up to speed now or not so we can help further.