Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless NIC BroadBand Speed

This is a discussion on Wireless NIC BroadBand Speed within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello Everyone! I'm new to sky broadband (Think things went active on the 2nd of May) and I'm having a ...

RMIM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless NIC BroadBand Speed

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to sky broadband (Think things went active on the 2nd of May) and I'm having a little trouble.

I have 3 PC's

I have run some internet speed test using Free Speed Test for Internet Access and Website Speed : FreeSpeedTest.com on all 3 computers.

PC 1 - Hard wired - 4MB/s
      PC 2 - Wireless (dell laptop) - 4MB/s

PC 3 - Wireless - 1MB/s - DabsValue Edimax 802.11g 54Mbps PCI card (EW-7128G)

(PC 3) Wireless nic card I get 1Mb/s from the test but when you hover the mouse point it says connected at 54.0Mb/s Signal strength Excellent.

Why if im connected at 54.0Mb/s cant I get the full speed of 4Mb/s. I have moved the laptop to the same location as the other wireless pc and I get 4Mb/s.

Even stranger is that if I do a file transfer from PC3 to PC1 its fast! - suggesting the reported 54.0Mb/s is true

Why is my internet speed to that PC only 1MB/s and not 4MB/s like the others?

Thanks
      Last edited by RMIM; 11-05-07 at 02:29 AM.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless NIC BroadBand Speed

I don't think tests like that are always accurate -- if the connection feels fast it probably is. If in doubt download something like a Linux release (say 800mb) and time it. I found that an ethernet cable connection was always vastly faster than wireless anyway.

RMIM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      I don't think tests like that are always accurate -- if the connection feels fast it probably is. If in doubt download something like a Linux release (say 800mb) and time it. I found that an ethernet cable connection was always vastly faster than wireless anyway.
      Thanks for the reply fihart

No, it's definitely slow on that PC - and I even made a mistake. It's less than 1Mb/s (not 2Mb/s as I wrote) on that pc, compared to 4Mb on the other 2 PC's - one of which is also wireless! Internet on that pc is very slow - you can see it just by downloading a big file off the net on that pc then trying the same file on another pc. I just used that web site to put figures to it all - and yes it does feel 4 times faster on the other 2 pc's.

But computer to computer file transfer are fast. There is something up with that wireless NIC card - yes it is working at 54.0mbps - but for some reason its bottlenecking my internet to 1Mb/s. The other wireless nic, built into the dell laptop has no problems working at 4Mb/s - so why not this one? Should I buy another wirlesless NIC card? Maybe Netgear make to match it up with skys netgear router? (trouble is I have 2 of these cheap NIC cards from Dabs and would prefer a fix rather than having to bin them)
      Last edited by RMIM; 11-05-07 at 02:40 AM.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've had the occasional duff wireless device -- but most issues are to do with negotiation and or reception, rather than speed once connected.

It shouldn't be a brand iussue. Serious compatibility problems usually only arises where the cards are an older design -- I have an old USB Netgear 11b that won't connect to the Sky Netgear router but will connect to an old 11b Zoom router. Meanwhile a Zoom 11b USB wireless adapter connects to the Sky router, but it's wireless is hopelessly weak.

Opinion has it that PCI devices are the best -- e.g. I daily use an old ADMtek 11b wireless card right at the other end of the building from the Sky router while Netgear PCMCIA and USB adapters struggle.

I would have a word with Dabs and see if they have updated drivers and any advice. If that's no help -- you could do worse than buying current Netgear models because their support is good.