Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Teir 3 misserys, any guidance?

This is a discussion on Teir 3 misserys, any guidance? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; OK, to start off, sky is the worst isp i have ever experienced, im really thankfull for this forum, im ...

ricopico is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wolverton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: TL-WR1043ND (Open-WRT)
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Teir 3 misserys, any guidance?

OK, to start off, sky is the worst isp i have ever experienced, im really thankfull for this forum, im glad to know theres people who will understand my moans! (dont think most of teir 3 do, expcetc guiness of course! )

I have split this post into 2 sections, 1, A major rant, and 2, The enquriy for this post.

Part 1 - <Rant>
      I have had problems with my line since the day of connection, my line attenuation was 63.5db, and i live a while from the exchange, AND im on aluminium lines. (nightmare). So the sky would sync at around 400kdown sometimes, and other times it would not sync at all.

Multiple teir 3 tickets were raised, no calls back ever recieved. This tier 3 open and close tickets went on for about 3 months, I would phone when i got angry with no internet ect.

It should be noted that each ticket was closed with 'problem resolved', - How could the problem be resolved if it still didnt work, and no contact had been made!!

Then 2 weeks ago the internet completly died, there was no syncing at all. Teir 3 capped the line down to 128kdown and 128 up for compatibility mode, in order to get it to sync, - still no sync. - It apears the line had died a terrible death.

Teir 3 closed 4 tickets on this problem, all with incident resolved! (you can tell why im angry!!) btw - no internet, no contact.

In the end I phoned BT and told them I could hear strange noises on the line when speaking, i didnt even mention the internet to them.

The next morning they sent out their engineer, He checked the line and agreed that it was pretty terrible.. He went off to the green box, came back 10 minutes later and said that the line was of a terrible quality, and that he would change it for me.

So he changed the line from the exchange to the green box the next day, I fired up the router, and checked the line stats..

57.5db down, with a margin of 36db!!!
      yay, wooo!!! I was soo happy to have a line that was going to support an internet connection of some kind!!

I called sky to have them remove my cap of 128k, they tell me the ticket is closed and resolved. (GRRRRRRR)
      They create a new ticket and tell me teir 3 would ring me back within 5 days.
      I completly flip and shout down the phone, and sunsequently got put through to teir 3.

I spoke to some guy who went through all the teir 1 questions, with extra questions such as asking me to check the colour of the telephone cable??!?? I wasnt even in the room, and i was just saying erm.. black?

He was about to terminate the call when he said the sky lead they supply is grey, when i flipped out again, and said ok, its grey.!

Anyhow, he them went forward to remove the cap, he said that my line was producing errors at 768k down, and suggested he would cap it at this speed, I said no way, and told him to make it 1 meg and I would like with any problems.

My line attenuation is currently 57.5, and i i have nosie margin of around 26db, so im thinking I should easily be able to squeeze another meg out of it.

When i was on the phone getting teir 3 to remove the cap, he was saying that 1 meg might be too fast for the line, i swear they are just idiots in that office. - I asked how they measure problems in such a small amount of time, they send a series of 64bit ping packets to the ip, and check if any dont come back. (sounds like a crap method of testing to me! Cant possibly tell them if the line can handle the speed.. or can it?)

</rant>

Part 2- Quick Questions

Based on line stats of 57.5db down, 31db up
      and a noise margin of around 26db, what kind of speed should I expect?

Would switching my line to adsl2 make things better or worse?

Will teir 3 do this for me if I ask nicely?

If I call sky support at 4am do I still need to speak to teir 1 in order to be put through to teir 3, or do teir 3 just answer the calls?

________

I hope I dont offend any of the good people here on the boards, only my girlfriend wont listen to me ranting about sky any more, I needed to get it off my chest!

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Teir 3 misserys, any guidance?

Sounds like you've had a miserable time

Quote Originally Posted by ricopico View Post

Part 2- Quick Questions

Based on line stats of 57.5db down, 31db up
      and a noise margin of around 26db, what kind of speed should I expect?

If you have a relatively noise free line then you could expect to sync at ~3500kbps. You may need to make improvements to your internal phone wiring to achieve this.

Would switching my line to adsl2 make things better or worse?

The same or worse. G.DMT is the right mode for your attenuation.

Will teir 3 do this for me if I ask nicely?

Switch you to ADSL2+? They might but hopefully they'd explain that it wasn't a good idea.

If I call sky support at 4am do I still need to speak to teir 1 in order to be put through to teir 3, or do teir 3 just answer the calls?

Yes you need to go through T1 to speak to T3. Apparently they are putting calls through now as long as the queue isn't very long. 8:00 in the morning is probably a good time to call. I doubt T3 work at 4:00 am but could be wrong. When you get through you need to explain that BT have made major changes to your line.