Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Having problems with download speeds...

This is a discussion on Having problems with download speeds... within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just like to make a point that i'm sure that your connection speed isn't always in your own hands. I've ...

Jimrod is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Having problems with download speeds...

Just like to make a point that i'm sure that your connection speed isn't always in your own hands.

I've been with Sky for about 2.5 months and after my Sky router packed up started using my Netgear DG834GT with the Sky Password etc. no problems at all for 6 weeks...

The max connected speed I have ever gotten from the router diagnostics is 2.6 meg though usually around 2.3 which is what I was told to expect from my Swindon, Blunsdon exchange (I am 1.5km's away from it). Max download speed I have had was 1.8 meg on the wireless with excellent strength and no other connections visible within range.

Now, if I reset or disconnect/reconnect the download speed almost always drops to 400k for a while, then 800, then 1.3-1.4 meg and usually settles there, the 1.8meg speed was only once. This seems a little odd that it goes in steps like this to me but I am not a network expert (do have reasonable knowledge of it though). I have tried other wireless channels etc. but all with same results so I am happy enough that the download to connection speed ratio is an acceptable trade-off for the wireless connection.

This Friday my internet connection dropped for a few minutes and since then my download speed has dropped to 250k which to me is unacceptable, what does seem an issue is the connected speed though, after several resets of the router with varying speeds coming up I have noticed that if I connect above 1.6meg that within minutes it drops to exactly that speed - 1600kbps. To me this seems like it is being artificially limited and the downloadable speed also. Sky won't help until I have their own router which is now being sent (after 10 days ago being told one was being sent but later turns out it wasn't).

I am sure this is not down to the wireless as I have used this for well over a year and am used to how it performs, nothing on it has changed and no new networks nearby show up, changing channels makes no difference to my speeds.

I guess I am just saying that while there is a trade-off, an 8meg connected speed seems unlikey to result in a 100k download speed even on wireless, esp if channels have been changed and presuming it is not having to pass through a permanently turned-on microwave oven or 6 feet concrete walls. Perhaps there are other factors out of your control? Wired will always give a better speed but surely it shouldn't be that drastic as to be the main problem?

2. Advertisement
      bobbley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok, thanks for being patient...managed to test last night, and post the results today - will upload as attachments.

Connection set up is:
      Router connected to phone line directly via Sky cable into filter into master socket downstairs from pc. Cordless digital phone also plugged into filter. Sky box has its own extension + filter. No other extension in the house. House is new build, 1.24km from exchange (dslzone.net).

To connect the ethernet cable to the router (ie "hardwire it"), i have to unplug the master filter, plug in an extension and run that upstairs, plug the filter/cable in the extension and the ethernet in the back of the router.

In summary tho, the results show I'm achieving near 6000kbps u/l speeds when the router is wireless next to the pc and connected by the ethernet cable. Only getting 600kbps u/l speeds when in its normal position downstairs.

Moving between the two in another position that I could use, I'm getting just over 2100kbps u/l speed.

Not bad, possibly...the attached stats (results.zip) may tell the other side of the story, i don't know - i don't know how to decipher them. So, while the d/l speeds may be better - it doesn't explain why i was only getting d/l speeds of 10-33mbps at the beginning for 2 weeks. Having said that, I remember a post somewhere on the forum that described a 2 week settling in period, where it was acknowledged speeds would fluctuate.

Anyway, I would be pleased to receive your thoughts...

cheers, bobbley
      Attached Files Attached Files

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

There's no known rationale for a "settling in period". A download speed of a little over 6000kbps is exactly what you'd expect for a Sky Mid (8000kbps) connection.

You ignored my request to run the router for at least an hour for each test so I can't comment on the errors.

As expected the results clearly show the reason for your slow download speed (wired 6190kbps kbps, wireless close 6340kbps, wireless remote 637kbps). It didn't seem to get through the last two times so I'll try this:

IT'S YOUR WIRELESS CONNECTION

Time to move on I think.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that, Saturday.

I did run the router for an hour before each test. I perhaps didn't say that specifically. I didn't say either that the TCP Optimiser recommended my MTU is set to 1500

I know the results speak for themselves, but when I first started this thread I was not getting the speeds i'm getting now. As i said, for that first week or two i was getting d/l speeds of 10-33kbps regardless of where the router was or how it was connected...thats why i posted in the first place!

You say there's no rationale for a settling in period, but that appears to be what happened. My current speeds of near 6000mbps is certainly what i would expect, but never since installing the router (14/3/07) have i achieved those speeds until following the testing instructions in your earlier post.

Hope this thread helps others understand what may or may not happen with their router.

Regards

Bobbley

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobbley View Post
      I did run the router for an hour before each test.
      This is what your stats say:
      • Normal set up Wireless: Total time = 2 min 44 sec
      • Normal set up Connected by Ethernet: Total time = 3 min 56 sec
      • Test socket set up Wireless: Total time = 54 min 22 sec
      • Test socket set up Connected by Ethernet: Total time = 5 sec

Apart from one test which was nearly an hour, the others ranged from 5 seconds to just under 4 minutes.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

don't understand it, Saturday - must've done the test wrong then...?

Normal position, wireless I was on the web for over an hour (I'm sure of it) then took the full stats (and a speed test, although you didn't mention this). Then i disconnected everything, moved the router upstairs and connected using the ethernet - full stats then speed test as suggested.

Then I repeated exactly the same but in the test socket.

Thought the ethernet connection would be used as comparison to the wireless master and wireless test socket results - it wasn't clear you needed my results from being connected via the ethernet for an hour.

I tried to follow your instructions to the letter to give meaningful results - was in my interest to not just to plug it in for a minute or two...i'd just be letting myself down then. Besides, i know i was on t'internet for ages coz the wife was getting pretty upset at the time it was taking! Oh, well...

IanMax is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peartree
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, Bobbley.

What you have to understand is that making things simple often helps more than doing test after test. Saturday has tried to cover all of your questions and has answered them all very well with his technical knowledge, But remember to always make your setup as straight forward as possible as this helps enormously to problem solving. I get the impression that your speeds are now fine using Wireless to upstairs ?

The one confusing thing i saw was in this statement you made

'To connect the ethernet cable to the router (ie "hardwire it"), i have to unplug the master filter, plug in an extension and run that upstairs, plug the filter/cable in the extension and the ethernet in the back of the router'

This does not sound like you plugged an ethernet cable into your pc and the router ( unless you took the router upstairs ? ) which then sounds to me like you plugged in a telephone extension into your main socket and then took your router upstairs with the telephone extension and plugged in a micro filter and the router cable ..... i.e ( small black telephone wire ).

If you did this then the length or quality of the telephone extension can cause problems especially as you SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE a microfilter at the main bt socket and anywhere else in the home before any connected device i.e. sky digibox / cordless phone / normal phone.

Hope this helps you understand a little more that the quality of advice people give only reflects on the quality of information they recieve.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi IanMax

It can be confusing when trying to get a point across - we all have our own way of saying something so that it describes what we're doing, but interrpreted by someone else, it can be completely different.
      I suppose alot of users must also be non-techies who come to this site in the hope of resolving problems. People like me who don't know their MTU from their ASDL port: its a balance in trying to explain the problem so that you guys understand whats going on and then understanding how to put it right from the advice given.

I mean the router running times - i'm guessing those dodgey times were given because i used Mosseywell Bounce to get the stats - that program reboots the router when noise levels go below a certain level, so it booted when i first initialised it 54 minutes into me using the router. Then it stayed on and must've booted the router the other times - can't remember...but if i was a techy i would have known not to use it as it would interfere with the running times necessary for the testing...

You're right in the assumption that i take my router upstairs to be able to plug the router in with the ethernet cable. For the tests, i plugged the micro filter into the extension socket and the router into the filter. The extension was plugged into the master socket (and the test socket) downstairs. Nothing else is plugged in downstairs. Sky has its own separate socket/filter.

But as you say: wireless appears to be fine and now 'settled' down...so in a roundabout way its ok for now...never did sort the issue out why i got those initial download speeds

Thanks for all the advice guys - i'm sure its helped others, as well as me.

bobbley

PS used this afternoon to relocate my router to the place where i tested i was getting around 2000kbps d/l. Ran a speed test again and found i was struggling to reach 100kbps! moved the router upstairs: ethernet cable connected gave me a nice 6686kbps, but wireless immediately next to the pc i was still getting around 100kbps. Rebooting the router, making sure nothing else is plugged into the line and using t'internet for an hour now and no difference...wireless (but next to pc) tests range from 162 kbps to 397kbps (all using BBMax - tests with speedtest.net give me 1200kbps which i'm sure i'm not getting...)

I really give in now...
      Last edited by bobbley; 30-03-07 at 05:09 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12