Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Performance on Connect Product

This is a discussion on Performance on Connect Product within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok Ok before people jump at me for creating another post i just wanted to create an area for us ...

mjhamilton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Performance on Connect Product

Ok Ok before people jump at me for creating another post i just wanted to create an area for us non LLU Sky broadbanders who are using the Connect product until Sky get to our local exchanges

I installed my router 2 days ago and have what I feel are very good stats

Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 7.1 29.0
      Attn(dB): 26.0 17.5
      Pwr(dBm): 19.8 12.2
      Max(Kbps): 8384 1276
      Rate (Kbps): 8128 448

As you can see I am using G.DMT not ADSL2+ and my SNR is a very healthy 7.1db and the attenuation is 26.0db which is also pretty good....

However when I do speed tests I am lucky sometimes when I occasionally peak at 1.5m/400k but normally I hang around the 500k/350k marker which to me is not that great... I have spent some time playing with the tools and tweaks from the other posts but none have made any difference.. if I change the mode to ADSL2+ negociation is not completed and only works again once I set the router back to G.DMT... tweaking SNR and other settings also has no effect.. have played with local TCP settings but this also makes no difference..

So I guess my question is.. is there a difference between LLU and Connect such that I am going to be more restricted in some way or another??.. or should I be more patient and wait a few more days before starting to contact Sky to see if they can do anything..??

PS.. I am an experienced network engineer but more in the WAN/LAN environments so I do understand what I am trying to do with the tweaks.. they just make no difference at all

2. Advertisement
      Redtag is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headless Cross, Redditch
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Performance on Connect Product

I'm on the 5 connect package, I too suffer from very slow speed tests

Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 6.2 23.0
      Attn(dB): 28.0 15.5
      Pwr(dBm): 19.8 12.3
      Max(Kbps): 8448 1100
      Rate (Kbps): 8128 448

I too have messed around with TCP to no avail. I've experimented with plugging the router into various phone sockets around the house. Tha master socket gives the fastest speed but the poorest wireless signal. Current rates are in the order of 600k. It once peaked at 2.2m for a short while, but I've never has it since. I live 1.74 miles from the exchange. To be honest I would have expected to get faster connection speeds than this. I'm not an experienced network engineer, if the previous post is struggling I don't stand much of a chance. All helpful suggestions welcome.

mjhamilton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Damn it I feel sooo dumb now..

10 years in networking and I make a dumb mistake like forgeting the only hardwired phone in the house that is reserved for emergencies (DECT doesn't like power failures) had no line filter...

.... installed the filter provided in the SKY netgear box et voila I am have now gone from a crappy 500k to a more acceptable 5100k...

So it goes to show to assume makes an ass out or u and me!!.. in this case me!!!

Very happy now.. considering my activiation date is tomorrow and I have been working for 4 days service is pretty damned good..

Recommendation to all... remember EVERY line needs a filter and a bad filter can cause poor performance.........

Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I was just going to suggest that you look at the cabling and faceplate forum. Glad you got it sorted.
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just a reminder that the connect packages have a 10 day 'training period' where the router and the exchange negotiate the best performance levels for your line. Once this has settled down you may find that speeds have improved even more.
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@Lazarus

I'm well past the 10 day training period and the only thing I've noticed is fewer drop outs on connection. I'd like to check the faceplate but mine's over 20 years old and doesn't have an engineers test point, but I'll check out the cabling forum to see if it sheds any light.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well your noise margin does seem a little low especially for your attenuation which is very good. There are other filtered faceplates you can get for older type Master sockets. I think ADSLNation come on here sometimes and give advice. Perhaps if you explained the problem in the cabling and faceplate forum, someone could suggest further solutions. I'm afraid I can offer little help on that side of things.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just tried a quick test with removing the orange ringwire from the back of the face plate. It made a small improvment in the SNR from 7.2 db to 8.9db. Unfortunatly it made no difference to the download speed. I'm still running at around the 600k mark. I've run out of ideas.